Dog days of summer

albatross

albatross

Do any of you get a summer case of cabin fever? The weather has been oppresively hot. Too hot to fish for me... :cool:

alby, put on a pair of shorts, some wading shoes and a big sombrero and head to the Yough-- a few cold beers on ice near shore and you will fly fish cool as a cucumber as they say.

It's too hot for me right now, but it should cool off tomorrow.

For now, I've got to hold my every other day bike rides off til 9 pm so I don't die!

alby, put on a pair of shorts, some wading shoes and a big sombrero and head to the Yough-- a few cold beers on ice near shore and you will fly fish cool as a cucumber as they say.

Creels aren't just for keeping fish cold.

We're in our second week of football practice... next week we put on the pads. I sure hope it cools off a little or those kids'll drop like flies. I took the yak to keystone and caught some bass on sunday between raindrops. one more week and I get to fish at the beach where I don't care how hot it is...But no, I can't imaging being on a stream right now.

Jack, shorts in the Yough? I guess its a little warmer than when I was there last.

The weather has been brutally humid. The heat is bad, but we've had days in the 90's that were not anywhere near this bad. On the upside, this is good tying weather though. As soon as this humidity breaks I'm going out to find some smallies. :cool:

I don't mind fishing in the heat, it's those darn pop-up t-storms the last couple days that I don't like! Standing in the Yough, waving a large stick isn't the safest place to be IMHO!

Wet wading in the Yough below Connelsville is rather refreshing this time of the, but at the tailraces, that's probaly a different story though. :-o
JH

Saturday's high is forecast for 82 degrees and partly sunny at Confluence. I may have to grab my sombrero and head down there!

Last time I fished with JackM down there we were both wet wading in our chest waders. I've since replaced mine. How about you Jack?

I looked this up the other day. Thought it may be of interest

The term "Dog Days" was coined by the ancient Romans, who called these days caniculares dies (days of the dogs) after Sirius (the "Dog Star"), the brightest star in the heavens besides the Sun.

Popularly believed to be an evil time "when the seas boiled, wine turned sour, dogs grew mad, and all creatures became languid, causing to man burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies" (from Brady’s Clavis Calendarium, 1813).

The Dog Days originally were the days when Sirius, the Dog Star, rose just before or at the same time as sunrise, which is no longer true owing to precession of the equinoxes. The ancients sacrificed a brown dog at the beginning of the Dog Days to appease the rage of Sirius, believing that that star was the cause of the hot, sultry weather

The ancients sacrificed a brown dog at the beginning of the Dog Days to appease the rage of Sirius, believing that that star was the cause of the hot, sultry weather

There are a couple of barking dogs in my neighborhood that would be perfect for that.

This weekend should be nice up here in Tioga Co for fishing might have to head up to a nice class a that starts with O. Will depend if I have to drive to Plesant Gap next week if I can afford it. Even if I can't I'll probably go anyways.

Bruno,

Nice bit of history. I think I heard something like that on NPR this week.

We know now that its not the dog star causing the heat, but rather greenhouse gases! :lol: (tounge in cheek) :lol:

No wonder the empire fell...If I were in fear of an animal god my first thought wouldn't be, "hey what if I kill one of your own species? Would that make you feel better?" I'd have sacrificed a cat or something...regardless it's definitely more sticky than hot. This is what people out west are referring to when they say. "yeah but its a dry heat." We practiced in 85 degree weather on monday that was worse then any 100+ day I ever experienced in Idaho.

If you can find a trout stream that stays below 66 degrees and maintains a fairly decent flow, don't hesitate to give it a whirl. You can enjoy fairly good trout fishing. Or, maybe give smallies a whirl. I have enjoyed my days on the creek this week, esp. after having to endure a week at the shore last week, but that's the price you "pay"! I have fished three early mornings (just after daybreak for 2 to 2.5 hours, nymphs) this week, and the trout have been cooperative. May go look for tricos tomorrow on "Mt. Hemlock Run." But, by 9:00 it has gotten too warm for me. I am ready for a change from the tropical humidity!

troutbert wrote:
The ancients sacrificed a brown dog at the beginning of the Dog Days to appease the rage of Sirius, believing that that star was the cause of the hot, sultry weather

There are a couple of barking dogs in my neighborhood that would be perfect for that.

That reminds me of this poem from Billy Collins:

Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House

The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
He is barking the same high, rhythmic bark
that he barks every time they leave the house.
They must switch him on on their way out.

The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
I close all the windows in the house
and put on a Beethoven symphony full blast
but I can still hear him muffled under the music,
barking, barking, barking,

and now I can see him sitting in the orchestra,
his head raised confidently as if Beethoven
had included a part for barking dog.

When the record finally ends he is still barking,
sitting there in the oboe section barking,
his eyes fixed on the conductor who is
entreating him with his baton

while the other musicians listen in respectful
silence to the famous barking dog solo,
that endless coda that first established
Beethoven as an innovative genius.

Billy Collins

Yes especially with conditions as they've been all summer.

SlumpBuster wrote:
This weekend should be nice up here in Tioga Co for fishing might have to head up to a nice class a that starts with O. Will depend if I have to drive to Plesant Gap next week if I can afford it. Even if I can't I'll probably go anyways.

don't have to go that far, we had over an inch of rain and the locals have turn on around here.... :-D

Back