Do you tie any nymphs with weed guards?

jreichel

jreichel

In another thread I was wanting to fish nymphs tight to cover (tree roots and log jams). I've been tempted to start tying my nymphs with mono weed guards to limit snags and allow me to get the nymph right in the thick of things.

Does anyone do this and how well does it work? What pound test mono do you use? Do you tie stiff spikes from the hook eye or the loop from the eye to the bend? I'm thinking the eye to the bend would be best but..... I'd be just guessing.

Thanks
Jeff

I've thought about it...but....

Then I realized that if the nymph bumps a root and you think it's a fish and set the hook it might defeat the purpose of the weedguard by now hooking the root.

I usually have my lead fly tied with a bouncy material like tubing or v-ribbing.

I like the small jig setups for getting into roots, this is a rainbow hares ear size 12 and a size 12 rainbow nymph;

Attachments

• rainbow hares ear 003.jpg
    rainbow hares ear 003.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 6
  • rainbow hares ear 001.jpg
    rainbow hares ear 001.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 5
That top fly looks killer sandfly!

where does one find small jig heads like that sandfly? and how small do they go in size?
as far as weed guards go i have never done it on a nymph but i imagine the something like 10 or 12 mono would work well or one could fashion 2 spikes protruding from the front and if colored they could be doulbled as legs

If you are afraid to fish cover then you won't catch fish. Who cares if you snag up. I'd rather fish the snags and catch fish. I think weed guards on nymphs would just get in the way.

Having some flies with weed guards is never a bad idea, esp streamers. I do, in fact, tie some nymphs with weed guards however, they're rather large nymphs tied for warm water species. In the photo below, you can see some Clousers I tied with mono loop weed guards. The large nymph uses heavy mono (50#) prong type weed guards. I've not tried weed guards on smaller, trout sized nymphs.

Might be worth a try.

Attachments

• Weedless Flies.jpg
    Weedless Flies.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I may tie a couple and see how it works. I'll give a report after I get some tied and test them on the water.

Back