Do you share?

Yes I share.
Nothing nicer than someone asking “what did you catch those fish on” and then handing them a few flies.

I did have one guy come and ask that question, but when I showed him my caddis, he said “that doesn’t look like a caddis”. Guess who didn’t get a free fly…and who didn’t catch the 18” brown??

i like to be left alone during my days on the water and will almost go out of my way to maintain that. i will talk if cornered but will keep it short.

lifes too short to be a &&&^^@#.

so why not?

Hs anyone ever had a Youtuber/videographer offer them a fly or advice or even friendly banter?

Just saw this. I don't run into too many other fishermen with the places I frequent. When I'm on well-known waters (Spring, Penns, etc.) and lighting them up- as long as you're not a d***, I don't mind helping out with some advice and flies. At various times/places in my life, I have guides and their client(s) try to crowd me out of my spot while simultaneously trying to pump me for info. You ask me what I'm using, and I will tell you "brown fly" and that's all you're getting out of me. Same thing with the guy with no self-awareness who takes over your hole while you're taking a fish off, who then wants help🖕 😂🖕

If you're older and/or you're a kid, and I see you struggling, I will generally approach you and offer to help. I met plenty of great people as a child along LL, YB, BS, etc who graciously helped me, so I do try and pay it forward when/where I can. I'd like to think civility is still alive and well on the stream, even if it is largely absent in greater society these days.

I share and give away flies just about every time Im on pine here.

Wow. That is pretty rude. They could have at least accredited you as the initial designer. Is there a greater sin than stolen work?

There should be some kind of copyright law for a guy who comes up with a new pattern.
they are writers do you really think they come up with all their material themselves ??

Maybe I’ll tell someone what was working but if I give some away it’s usually to someone with young kids.

I'd be happy to share, but I can count on one hand the number of fishermen I've encountered streamside in the last 20 years. Literally.
That means you ain't fishing in the right places. You probably don't catch nothing, neither. You want to go to the bridge crossings where the holes are. That is where they dump the most buckets!!!! Then you'd see plenty of other fellers throughout your time.

I agree. Share when it is appropriate.I am not stingy with flies or info, for the most part. I have to like you a fair amount to share certain stream info with someone, though.

I will give flies away all day everyday though. It is nice to be a community, not a competition.

While I was fishing for snakeheads from my yak, two gentlemen in a Jon boat approached and basically pushed me to the weeds along the bank before asking what I was using. When I told them I was fly fishing, the look on their faces was priceless. I showed them the flies I was using, as well as my fly rod, and we exchanged stories for a while before I told them I was going to tell everyone that I had been boarded by fly pirates then we all had a good laugh, and we went on our way.

Back