Do you share?

Wow. That is pretty rude. They could have at least accredited you as the initial designer. Is there a greater sin than stolen work?

There should be some kind of copyright law for a guy who comes up with a new pattern.
Unfortunately. It's nearly impossible to copyright a fly pattern. Been like that for a long time.

yes. sometimes I spend more time talking with others than fishing. It is great to meet new people with different ideas about fishing.
Kids are the best though. Meet a young fellow on the Little Lehigh a few years back and found out he was from out of state so I gave him some flies and some local info. The next day I ran into him again on the Monocacy and this time I coached him on nymphing and he caught his first fish. I still have the picture his father took and the big smile on his face. Great memories for both of us.

"There's nothing new in fly tying and definitely nothing secret."

Mostly true but some patterns if not found everywhere do produce better than flies everyone is using.

For me I help where I can. I learned from others and still learning. I should also do the same. I tend to focus on giving beginners for instance resources, fishing videos, e-books on fishing, Point is yes I will help when possible. Don't be surprised when they don't listen to you anyways.

I am always willing to help. One evening, I met a guy fly fishing for the first time. He was using a 1X leader. I sat down and made him a 9 foot 5X leader and proceeded to watch him catch his first fish on a fly. The fly was a tan caddies that I gave him. I only fish with flies that I tie, and will always give samples to a fellow angler. I believe in the pay it forward philosophy.

Always, especially retirees and newbies. Share the knowledge.

Fishing the Run in YB, across from parking lot bench, doing well with scud pattern. Walked over, removed my customized pattern, tied on pattern on leader of local retiree with arthritic hands, and watched him smile with glee and rejuvenation of happiness. That is what it is all about. HLR

HLR

Last edited:
I share on the ocean and bay at shore all the time. Even give people, loan people the right tackle if they are light. People have helped me, so I feel responsibility to help them.

I've been burned a bunch of times. Ex: Take "friends" without boats fishing all the time, show them the ropes, spots, how to, For years! They buy a boat - zero invites or reciprocal. Bet you all have seen that.

One of my favorite fishing memories is of Ed and George busting their butts on the Little Lehigh, determined to get me on my first trout "on the fly". Picture Ed on the shore chanting "ooh, ooh" at every twitch of my leader, then George vaulting 6 feet from the shore to net the fish for me! Still brings a smile to my face.

Their efforts and the time shared with so many others from PAFF has been and will be forever appreciated!

I try to pass on what I have been taught and will offer flies and what little knowledge I have to anyone I see struggling.

Always willing to help - and even share a fly with other fishermen.
Why not?
I have been the frequent recipient of DFG's abundant generousity

One of my favorite fishing memories is of Ed and George busting their butts on the Little Lehigh, determined to get me on my first trout "on the fly". Picture Ed on the shore chanting "ooh, ooh" at every twitch of my leader, then George vaulting 6 feet from the shore to net the fish for me! Still brings a smile to my face.

Their efforts and the time shared with so many others from PAFF has been and will be forever appreciated!

I try to pass on what I have been taught and will offer flies and what little knowledge I have to anyone I see struggling.
That's how I met Ed Maurer.RIP.

This is an old thread, but I caught my first trout on a Royal Coachman wet given to me by a friendly fisherman on Slate Run about 50 years ago. I will frequently hand out a fly or two if I don’t think that I’m interfering. I’ve taught 3 of my best friends how to fly fish. They always get my best ties when we go fishing. I’m blessed that we will all gather from all over the East Coast in May to continue the tradition.

I wanted to post this here because this pertains to both fresh and salt water. Do you share patterns with strangers? If you are out on the water, and you are having a killer day...will you share? Not necessarily give them the fly but tell them what is working, maybe even how.
I never forget the times someone shares with me and i hope my sharing has made a good memory for them. FYI,” What goes around comes around”

Definitely, and if I can spare it, I give them a fly or two. They already did part of the hard work of just gettin' out there! And, like Les, I'll give up a hot spot too. I remember what it was like when I was 15 or so, out there trying to find my way. I remember the first time someone told me about a "black nymph w/ a lot of flash" then handed me one. Or the WCO up on Kettle who said "Try a fly called a 'green weenie'". Back before everyone was a youtube pro, social media star, etc., this is how we did things! It's a tradition worth continuing.

There used to be a situation when I didn't share, and that was only with a particular class of anglers. I refer to authors and writers. In the 60s, a whole lot of new (vast majority were synthetics) materials came out into our fly tying world - trilobal fibers like Antron, plasma coated Mylars, and super hackles like Hoffmans and Metz. In those days, I was in a steep learning curve, and since I was working highly pressured waters like the Cairn's Pool on the Beaverkill, Little Lehigh's Heritage Stretch, Madison Rivers $3 area, South Platte Cheeseman, Frying Pan, etc, many of the very picky trouts (I like 'em that way) would turn up their noses at tried and true patterns - but they would at least look or maybe wiggle a fin at a good presentation. These challenges fired me up into a lot of creativity with tying imitations.

Being a friendly sort, I would chat with like minded anglers on the water, but then I noticed a season or two later, I would see my new unique patterns showing up in the Orvis catalogs and fly fishing magazines. I connected the dots and realized that I might have been the first to show the author my new creation. This happened several times. So afterwards, I became much more guarded when it came to sharing with writers.
This happened to you w/ a few of your pipe tobacco blends too, right!? I think C&D should have a "Les Trout's Evening Rise" blend!

Good thread.
It really just depends.
Time. Person.Place.
My tendency is to keep to myself.
Parking area lends itself to selective interaction.

Few years ago, trip to Boise....I knew that Perdigons existed AND r VERY productive.
I could NEVER get over the cosmetics of how " non-buggy" they are.
Very intentional to EXCLUDE them from my box.
( K Galloup referred to them as not having any " soul")....well said...

2nd day in Boise w no tugs in fishy water, I happen to see FF in Parking area.
I ask about his day.
Sure enuf, Fluorescent accent Perdigons were his helpful reply.

The rest is history.
Luckily, I live close to SIERRA that frequently has sales.
Now, of course...I drink the Perdigon KoolAde with a VERY ABUNDANT supply.
All thanks to fellow FF who was happy to share🍻

Will always share and hope to receive same!

All the time, yes. I even handed a kid my rod and let him fish it for a while. He caught a number of fish when previously he was fishless. One soul saved

Back