Do you purchase based off of performance or aesthetics?

I don't fish the famed Leetort. I did once or twice, caught a couple fish, and it wasn't my style.

The fish I target nowdays, I think some say they have decent eye sight (tarpon, bonefish and redfish). I've never once heard mention of shiny rods or reels spooking flats fish. Nor did the shiny finish ever spook any tarpon, red, or bonefish I've cast at. I've used both dull blanks and shiny ones and have not noticed a difference.

If there is an idea that shiny finished tackle spooks fish, it's pushed by the industry. It's more expensive to polish reels and dip rods rather than leave them dull and looking unfinished.
It's the same reason why highly polished blued (Sako bluing) rifles and gloss finished scopes have been replaced by matte finished garbage, because the companies got their reps to convince the tacticool crowd that glossy finishes spook deer. Guess what? The deer I killed this year didn't notice the shiny bluing or gloss scope that fired the bullet that killed it.
In all fairness, matte finished rods are still varnished, they just usually have something rubbed over them to dull them. The ruff side of a dish sponge does the job without any damage. Or they simply have a dull finish applied.

I've noticed the fiberglass custom industry is notorious for what I would consider an "over varnished" rod.

I just don't personally see the need to dampen the blank even more with the added weight of 7 coats of varnish.

But again, we were discussing preferences. I simply gave my preference and why. We all have them.

Some guys prefer Flouro others mono. All have their reasons, some valid, some not. What we choose and why isn't for everyone, but we all swear by them.

Was the deer under water? This is a stupid comparison. It's possible but not likely. Last rod I bought was fire the first time I cast it. Esthetics are kinda cool but bought the specs not the color.

I don't fish the famed Leetort. I did once or twice, caught a couple fish, and it wasn't my style.

The fish I target nowdays, I think some say they have decent eye sight (tarpon, bonefish and redfish). I've never once heard mention of shiny rods or reels spooking flats fish. Nor did the shiny finish ever spook any tarpon, red, or bonefish I've cast at. I've used both dull blanks and shiny ones and have not noticed a difference.

If there is an idea that shiny finished tackle spooks fish, it's pushed by the industry. It's more expensive to polish reels and dip rods rather than leave them dull and looking unfinished.
It's the same reason why highly polished blued (Sako bluing) rifles and gloss finished scopes have been replaced by matte finished garbage, because the companies got their reps to convince the tacticool crowd that glossy finishes spook deer. Guess what? The deer I killed this year didn't notice the shiny bluing or gloss scope that fired the bullet that killed it.
Dear BrookieChaser,

The hammer hit the nail here.

I could dressed as a shrubbery, but if I'm a clod I will spook fish, and game too.

My gear has never spooked anything on the planet. If something was spooked I guaran-damn-T it that it was my fault.

But that just plays hell with marketing, doesn't it?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear BrookieChaser,

I could dressed as a shrubbery, but if I'm a clod I will spook fish, and game too.

My gear has never spooked anything on the planet. If something was spooked I guaran-damn-T it that it was my fault.

Regards,

The market is primed for a $5k Simms Ghillie Suit

Were you waving your rifle around 15 feet from the deer? I bet if your were the deer would have noticed it.

No that would be stupid. I'm sure it would've noticed it, that example was to prove the current marketing trend that only dull finished guns can be in the woods is laughable. It's because the manufacturers needed to push a cheaper manufacturing process onto the buying public. They had to train their consumers to except this cheaper product as somehow better.

But, since you asked, and I'm bored, I'll use your example to explain my stance. Any movement within 15' of a deer, regardless of light reflection of the object moving, would spook it. They'd spook off the act of movement not the light reflection (predators move that's the trigger, natural predators (bear, coyotes, mountain lions, bobcats, wolves) don't emit light (deer generally freeze in light)). Just like the fish that spurred this discussion is going to spook off the act of motion regardless of the light reflection of the surface finish of the moving object.

Dear BrookieChaser,

Regards,

Dear Tim Murphy,

You're exactly right.

Nowdays woodsmanship (for lack of better term, being stealthy and actually hunting your quary be it fish or game) is not taught. The gear companies push products guaranteeing success. When that product don't work due to failed woodsmanship, then you need this product.
We live in a "it can't be my fault, it has to be something else" society.

Now about the book mentioned, I checked it out. I read the book by Marinaro with the box and slanted mirrors trying to tell me what a trout sees. I don't need to read another book on the subject to know I need to keep sudden moves to a minimum, keep water disturbance to a minimum and try to stay out of sight.
Now for someone interested in learning all things trout biology/behavior that's probably a good book for them.

I think shadows affect trout more than a glint of light.

@ brookiechaser, I know aguy who douses himself with sent killer, has the latest camo pattern in the noisiest dam fabric you can imagine, all the latest gadgets, yet packs an Italian hogie (onions, salami, oregano )for lunch. Topping it off, he pay little attention to wind. Has very few woodsman skills.

I shake my head.

New this New that. The carbon fiber the rod manufacturers are building with haven't really changed too much in the past 20 years. Layup and using alum real seats and smaller cork handles have made the most of lightening up the rods. Layup and tighter manufacturing controls have made the rod more uniform and more specific in their loading and unloading. Rods are just cone shaped springs the more that load and unload depending on their flex and ability to track in a straight line. The better casters can feel the better rods tracking and loading correctly the poor casters can not.
Just wait the new Orvis rods will be $1200 in January. You never see the rod company introduce a better rod at a cheaper price. Marketing 101 always increase your prices with built in obsoletism.

Well I disagree with both posts.
Not about that picture but that it would not have an effect on the fish on a spring creek like the Letort.

Guys spend hours crouched down, dressing mute, being stealthy and then take an 11 ft euro nymph rod holding it high in the air, right over fish in a crystal clear creek with it shining like a glow stick in a dark room. 🤷

fish how you want yes and enjoy it, doesn't make the above a myth or any less silly.
I agree.
I have a Maine fly rod Co. Matte green blank 7'9" 3wt I really like.

TNT contact 10’9 3wt and a diamondback 10’ 1wt are similar aesthetically ( same rod designer) but the tnt does not have a finish to save weight and can cause the rod to flash. I find the finish on the diamondback to not flash at all. Looks certainly do not matter performance wise but they can in fact change your confidence/ mentality that can affect your performance. The ole look good feel good analogy

New this New that. The carbon fiber the rod manufacturers are building with haven't really changed too much in the past 20 years. Layup and using alum real seats and smaller cork handles have made the most of lightening up the rods. Layup and tighter manufacturing controls have made the rod more uniform and more specific in their loading and unloading. Rods are just cone shaped springs the more that load and unload depending on their flex and ability to track in a straight line. The better casters can feel the better rods tracking and loading correctly the poor casters can not.
Just wait the new Orvis rods will be $1200 in January. You never see the rod company introduce a better rod at a cheaper price. Marketing 101 always increase your prices with built in obsoletism.
Diamondback ideal nymph rod is dollar for dollar the best euro rod on the market. Sure I would say the contact 2 has slightly better recovery and accuracy but it’s not far off. For $500 the diamondback swings with $1000 premium euro rods.

Back