Do you purchase based off of performance or aesthetics?

I think that's a myth. First off, barring the H3 and my Douglas, I don't care much for matte finishes. I find them dreadfully boring like I find plastic pistols boring. I don't think the fish are really effected by rod glare and the rod doesn't reflect that much light. Sillier still if I am nymphing downstream of my intended target. I'd wager that my obnoxious wading and line slap alerts the fish well before they have the time to study what rod I am using and find they are disgruntled with my choice in rod color. Overall if my vibrant rod costs me a few fish out of the year I am ok with it because style is more important to me and I'm going to continue to fish with what I want how I want.
A myth?
You can see it yourself if you watch someone fish

Tenkaragrasshopper image 750x300

You have never seen this? I have many times.

View attachment 1641233234
I'd be interested in how much flash is seen from underwater. I never tried to see it that way myself.
(Just messing around with no ill intent. I have no preference between shiny or matte and will use either one. In any case, I prefer to fish with the sun behind me, on cloudy days, or under adequate overhead foliage.)

View attachment 1641233234
Not the glare in of itself, but the fact that that is what alerts/scares fish as opposed to my physical presence and my line landing on the water. In this particular photo the glare isn't even inline of where the fish would be looking. This is a poor photo to illustrate how rod glare would effect a fish. I don't buy it. I'd also like to point out that the glare is very temporary as the rod is moving about so you're counting on a fish just so happening to look that way (unlikely given where the fishermen is fishing and where the fish are projected to be). A salt flats or carp fishing scenario photo would present a better argument for matte finishes. I will concede and say that a shiny rod could have an effect on carp as they are incredibly intelligent and wary creatures.

As for this particular photo, the man is nymphing, the snow on the opposite bank suggests cool water temps indicating fish hugging the bottom and looking straight ahead, unless there is a hatch of some sort going on. In this particular instance the fish aren't even aware of the person standing there.

I'd be interested in how much flash is seen from underwater. I never tried to see it that way myself.
(Just messing around with no ill intent. I have no preference between shiny or matte and will use either one. In any case, I prefer to fish with the sun behind me, on cloudy days, or under adequate overhead foliage.)
Yeah, the water would diffuse it too, especially the riffles shown in the previous photo. I just think it's egregious to think that out of my approach to water, having line touch the water, and my shadow, that rod glare really comes into play. I think that if it did a lot more manufacturers would produce more matte rods. Like with turkey hunting we know that turkey have excellent eyesight so hunting for the involves full camo and camo guns. I can't 100% for sure say that glare has no effect on fish. I have never felt that it has effected my own fishing outcomes. However, using a matte colored rod has no negative impact on one's fishing. Use what you want fish, fish how you like.

Well I disagree with both posts.
Not about that picture but that it would not have an effect on the fish on a spring creek like the Letort.

Guys spend hours crouched down, dressing mute, being stealthy and then take an 11 ft euro nymph rod holding it high in the air, right over fish in a crystal clear creek with it shining like a glow stick in a dark room. 🤷

fish how you want yes and enjoy it, doesn't make the above a myth or any less silly.

And we can agree to disagree. Again fish how you want with what you want. I will continue to fish the flashy stuff I like. For me having a muted colored rod displeases me and it's tactical advantage sounds about as beneficial as a man slapping a carbon fiber hood on a Subaru while still having a girlfriend that pushes 100 kgs riding shotgun. In the instance on the Letort wouldn't just the presence of the rod be what is spooking the fish not necessarily the color or reflective quality of the rod?

SAGE experimented with this rod color theory in 2019, offering their X in a muted olive color (looks like the same color of the old Orvis Superfine glass, a color that really on looks good on that rod). SAGE stated that the matte olive color would be beneficial for glare reduction, thus making it useful for trout in difficult conditions. I thought it was stupid. They also offered an electric teal model. That one I liked. They only offered these color options for one year. I've hardly seen the olive variants come up for resale, the electric teal models were often getting resold for over a g, even when the rod was discontinued. Seems people favored the bright colored teal rods more.

I speculate you are a more proficient angler than I, but it is not due to your choice in rod color.

If a guide ever told me to use a matte rod, I'd smirk with a punch-me-in-the-face grin, but would probably oblige to humor him/her. I've heard people talk of textured line irritating bonefish as it went through the guides. I think that's a crock of s*** but I've never targeted bones.

Hopefully, the only thing textured line irritates is the people fishing next to you. When it does, that's a good day 😉

I like the noise myself (it's akin to supercharger whine) but I'm not running any textured lines at the moment. Last year I had quite the fun with that Orvis textured line even though the cost almost made my jaw drop. I gave the line a nice cigar burn on the first day and had no backing on my ancient narrow arbor reel I was fishing so the line had some coils.

I think the difference in the philosophies shared between Sixfoot and I are that he is going for absolute stealth and I am trying to look cool.

I think the difference in the philosophies shared between Sixfoot and I are that he is going for absolute stealth and I am trying to look cool.
In that, you are more likely to succeed.

And we can agree to disagree. Again fish how you want with what you want. I will continue to fish the flashy stuff I like. For me having a muted colored rod displeases me and it's tactical advantage sounds about as beneficial as a man slapping a carbon fiber hood on a Subaru while still having a girlfriend that pushes 100 kgs riding shotgun. In the instance on the Letort wouldn't just the presence of the rod be what is spooking the fish not necessarily the color or reflective quality of the rod?

Fat bottom girls make the rockn world go round so the tactical advantage might be more than you think.

As far as the Letort, yes and no.

Yes just the rods presence will spook them over the color or reflective quality of the rod, given no cover.

But if you are in cover or have a dark background such as a few trees, not necessarily, provided you don't have 100000 lumens coming off 75 coats of varnish.

Attractive color or stealth?

You know you two guys are driving the VP's of marketing crazy.

Rod flash as a concern is hooey for all but those who need excuses for a lack of success.

FWIW - I fish the Letort a LOT...

The rod I used most in the olden days is a shiny varnished Leonard 8'0" 6wt 50 M with a peach colored fly line and a shiny mono leader while wearing a white hat and a light sage colored shirt ...

In later years the rod I used the most is a shiny 8'6" 5wt Winston DL4 with a white Rio Lumilux fly line that even GLOWS in the dark with similar clothing and leader...

...the zillions of fish I've landed in all of these trips responded by not giving a rat's a$$...

Before me, much more experienced anglers like Vince Marinaro, Ed Shenk, Charlie Fox & Ernest Schwiebert fished there using shiny varnished Dickinson's, Payne's, Leonard's, Young's; many with shiny nickle silver ferrules and even a hand made 5' creation made by Ed on a shiny Lamiglass blank.

...the fish responded in their lifetimes by not giving a rat's a$$ and providing the material for several books. new fly patterns and new shiny rods built just for that creek...

Meanwhile on the same Letort, some technical schmuck in camo crawling on his belly with dull a 9'0" 2wt rod can't catch squat. Recounting his failures to his buddies, he blames his ineptitude on a twinkle of light from the nippers he had on his subdued zinger... :rolleyes:

It beats me, but other than Everett Garrison in the bamboo world who dulled the finish of his rods, nobody else who builds quality rods bothers so there must be a reason.

Maybe those that blame their tackle for their failures should look in the mirror instead of their gear...

...unless they are afraid the mirror is too shiny as well. ;)

Rod flash as a concern is hooey for all but those who need excuses for a lack of success.

FWIW - I fish the Letort a LOT...

The rod I used most in the olden days is a shiny varnished Leonard 8'0" 6wt 50 M with a peach colored fly line and a shiny mono leader while wearing a white hat and a light sage colored shirt ...

In later years the rod I used the most is a shiny 8'6" 5wt Winston DL4 with a white Rio Lumilux fly line that even GLOWS in the dark with similar clothing and leader...

...the zillions of fish I've landed in all of these trips responded by not giving a rat's a$$...

Before me, much more experienced anglers like Vince Marinaro, Ed Shenk, Charlie Fox & Ernest Schwiebert fished there using shiny varnished Dickinson's, Payne's, Leonard's, Young's; many with shiny nickle silver ferrules and even a hand made 5' creation made by Ed on a shiny Lamiglass blank.

...the fish responded in their lifetimes by not giving a rat's a$$ and providing the material for several books. new fly patterns and new shiny rods built just for that creek...

Meanwhile on the same Letort, some technical schmuck in camo crawling on his belly with dull a 9'0" 2wt rod can't catch squat. Recounting his failures to his buddies, he blames his ineptitude on a twinkle of light from the nippers he had on his subdued zinger... :rolleyes:

It beats me, but other than Everett Garrison in the bamboo world who dulled the finish of his rods, nobody else who builds quality rods bothers so there must be a reason.

Maybe those that blame their tackle for their failures should look in the mirror instead of their gear...

...unless they are afraid the mirror is too shiny as well. ;)
Weird, I've had pretty good success on the Letort and I also fish it a lot.

Nor have I ever blamed gear for an unsuccessful outing.

For not giving a rats ***, that was a long winded post, sounding like you do. 🤣

I didn't say it's a break or bust in all situations. Im saying it can have an affect in a given situation. I generally have a rod or two I use of those streams that are duller in finish. And no, there are makers that make duller finish blanks. In fact most rods that are custom made have finish applied to them that is rather unneeded, the blank was fine as is. All it does is ad weight, make it change it's flex profile very little and make it shiny.

I know others that agree. This isn't a new thing.
I prefer a rod with a duller finish, the humanity!

Last edited:
Attractive color or stealth?

You know you two guys are driving the VP's of marketing crazy.
Unfortunately I wish I had the power.

We would be back to 2 pc staggered ferrule and 3 pc rods.

Reactions: CRB
I spent 45 minutes casting a 10’ 4 wt Helios yesterday. It was one of the best rods of that configuration I have cast. I walked out without purchasing it - even on sale - because I could not get past the white label.

I rarely have such a negative reaction to the aesthetics of a piece of fly fishing gear. I knew if I purchased it I’d take a black Sharpie to it within a week. I hesitate to even post this because I really like Orvis. The salesman stated it’s a know complaint within Orvis but they have simply decided the advertising is a bigger benefit than the few lost sales from those (like me) who really dislike it.
You know they make the H3 without the white above the cork right? One of them(either f or d) has the olive and the other has the blue.

I don't fish the famed Leetort. I did once or twice, caught a couple fish, and it wasn't my style.

The fish I target nowdays, I think some say they have decent eye sight (tarpon, bonefish and redfish). I've never once heard mention of shiny rods or reels spooking flats fish. Nor did the shiny finish ever spook any tarpon, red, or bonefish I've cast at. I've used both dull blanks and shiny ones and have not noticed a difference.

If there is an idea that shiny finished tackle spooks fish, it's pushed by the industry. It's more expensive to polish reels and dip rods rather than leave them dull and looking unfinished.
It's the same reason why highly polished blued (Sako bluing) rifles and gloss finished scopes have been replaced by matte finished garbage, because the companies got their reps to convince the tacticool crowd that glossy finishes spook deer. Guess what? The deer I killed this year didn't notice the shiny bluing or gloss scope that fired the bullet that killed it.

You know they make the H3 without the white above the cork right? One of them(either f or d) has the olive and the other has the blue.
Not the 10’ 4 wt unfortunately.

Guess what? The deer I killed this year didn't notice the shiny bluing or gloss scope that fired the bullet that killed it.
Were you waving your rifle around 15 feet from the deer? I bet if your were the deer would have noticed it.

I am of the belief that yes, a rod waving around can spook fish, and light reflecting off of it can spook fish. But I don't think it happens enough to make it worthwhile to avoid glossy rods.

Back