Do you purchase based off of performance or aesthetics?

Yes, the Epic's do seem to have a faster action on them, I'm definitely not one of the "wet noodle" glass guys (no disrespect to someone who is), I prefer the faster action. Maybe because I am more of a graphite rod user in general so the step down to the faster Epic is less dramatic of a step than going with a slower action glass rod. I also presume because you are slinging DT lines off of your rods that are most likely doing dry fly and dry/dropper work, whereas I am tossing an indi rig on mine so I need a more aggressive line to move the rig around.
I'm tempted to build either an Epic 8' or CTS glass 8'6" 10wt for musky out of my kayak. I'm interested in how a heavier glass rod will work for slinging musky and fighting them close to the kayak. The glass has a lot more forgive especially when trying to net them close to the kayak.

As a relative newcomer, compared to some of you, I'm not skilled enough yet to purchase based off performance; I probably couldn't cast a $1000 dollar rod much better than sub-$200 rods. What I've done to date is purchase based on a consensus of reviews read online. Aesthetics? Yeah, I like stuff that looks good to me, but my limited number of rods are gray, brown, or blue. The reels are all Lamson Liquids, except for the Orvis Encounter reel, and those looks I like. Plus they had great reviews and were pretty inexpensive during the Sierra sales.

I think this covers many anglers

Attachments

• img_1_1686616598550.jpg
    img_1_1686616598550.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 16
Shane, how did I know I would find you here?
Fishing rods, reels etc are tools. No different than a hammer. I really dont care what color they are, within reason. I prefer to balance my rod/reel set up as a first priority. If I can get matching or complimentary colors, all the better, but don't put that much effort into it. Function first.

Some here, like a certain "quiet cat", prefers to look like a pimp with a light saber on the water. ;?)

Just bustin' Shane, told you I'd get ya.

I'm not sure why you can't do both.

I've bought function and aesthetics many times.
It also helps when you can build rods too.

I'm not sure why you can't do both.

I've bought function and aesthetics many times.
It also helps when you can build rods too.
This is true. The reality is that there is such a wide variety of gear available at all price ranges. one should be able to find something that suites them in all categories.

I spent 45 minutes casting a 10’ 4 wt Helios yesterday. It was one of the best rods of that configuration I have cast. I walked out without purchasing it - even on sale - because I could not get past the white label.

I rarely have such a negative reaction to the aesthetics of a piece of fly fishing gear. I knew if I purchased it I’d take a black Sharpie to it within a week. I hesitate to even post this because I really like Orvis. The salesman stated it’s a know complaint within Orvis but they have simply decided the advertising is a bigger benefit than the few lost sales from those (like me) who really dislike it.

Having participated in this activity for many years, I can state that having prettier gear will never improve my casting abilities. I haven't ever used a rod that wasn't hand-built on a blank, or store-bought without being altered in some way. If the decals that come with the blanks aren't lost or thrown away, they get stuck onto the rod case or the warranty card.

I dont understand why they dont change the helios markings and make them look like the labels on the blackout series. You can still see the Orvis name plain as day but not nearly as offensive as they are with the big white labels on the helios

Honestly I've gotten over the white label. The rod's performance attributes are good enough for me to want to fish the rod. I even like the graphics, gives it this prototype kind of look and the black/gray white look of the rod leaves a lot of options for reel pairings and cosmetic direction. When fishing one you can fantasize how ORVIS hired you as an individual to test out some new ground-breaking rod. Plus, if the white label is that much of an eyesore for an individual they can cover it up.

Ultimately ORVIS understood marketing when going with this graphic design, understanding that all publicity is good publicity, understanding that even though a good number of people would be disgruntled with the graphics but still talk about them they would draw more people to the product.

I will say the Hs and H1 had much better cosmetics. I have a friend who has some H2 rods and they are beautiful and solid casting rods and they don't feel that far off from the H3. The H3 just feels lighter.

Honestly I've gotten over the white label. The rod's performance attributes are good enough for me to want to fish the rod. I even like the graphics, gives it this prototype kind of look and the black/gray white look of the rod leaves a lot of options for reel pairings and cosmetic direction. When fishing one you can fantasize how ORVIS hired you as an individual to test out some new ground-breaking rod. Plus, if the white label is that much of an eyesore for an individual they can cover it up.

Ultimately ORVIS understood marketing when going with this graphic design, understanding that all publicity is good publicity, understanding that even though a good number of people would be disgruntled with the graphics but still talk about them they would draw more people to the product.

I will say the Hs and H1 had much better cosmetics. I have a friend who has some H2 rods and they are beautiful and solid casting rods and they don't feel that far off from the H3. The H3 just feels lighter.
You points on the any publicity is good publicity about the H3 color scheme are very good. The H4 is coming soon. I wonder if it will be some crazy fluorescent color, or maybe see through.
It wouldn't even surprise me if they made them look like bamboo.

Shane, how did I know I would find you here?
Fishing rods, reels etc are tools. No different than a hammer. I really dont care what color they are, within reason. I prefer to balance my rod/reel set up as a first priority. If I can get matching or complimentary colors, all the better, but don't put that much effort into it. Function first.

Some here, like a certain "quiet cat", prefers to look like a pimp with a light saber on the water. ;?)
You know I flock to a thread like this in between conservation shootouts. Really the gear is my passion as you already know.

I'd say you paired that Douglas up pretty well, though I will have to find a reel with a better drag for my stupid steelhead experiments.

That vibrant lightsaber battled the salmon beautifully and I CAN put my hand on the blank to give additional leverage because I know my USA Boeing-sourced carbon fiber won't break, however, the angler fishing that rod was too fat and lazy to properly chase his salmon!

You points on the any publicity is good publicity about the H3 color scheme are very good. The H4 is coming soon. I wonder if it will be some crazy fluorescent color, or maybe see through.
It wouldn't even surprise me if they made them look like bamboo.
I talked to the guys at ORVIS about the H4 and they really didn't have much info, though I was told that working on the H4 started at the advent of the H3's launch so ORVIS is in constant motion with these rods as most other designers are. SAGE releases rods like Call of Duty games.

As far as cosmetics on the H4, I have no idea what they will be and that will be dependent on the the feedback they have gotten from consumers and the marketing direction they wish to go. Personally I think they should go with the H3 route because it has a modern/futuristic look and no other companies are offering cosmetics like that presently. Funny thing too is that if people are that disgruntled with the logo they can buy their desired high performance rod in the color from the myriad of other rod companies we have. We live in an era where all these rods are Lamborghini's, just choose the color you want and rock on!

As for making them look like bamboo, that'd be a weird direction for them to go but SAGE also darkened up their color schemes when going from Konnetic era to Konnetic HD to appease the angry old heads that believe rods have to be in a dark color. I rather liked the bright colors in the Konnetic lineup. I think the brown color bamboo would look weird on a graphite rod and would probably get a lot of looks from real bamboo rod users. That pushes the "replica" boundary I really don't like with gear where equipment tries to up-class itself without actually being said item (this is called up-badging in the car community). I think a fresh bamboo look would be neat. Douglas put that fresh bamboo color on their Upstream rods and I really dig it.

I talked to the guys at ORVIS about the H4 and they really didn't have much info, though I was told that working on the H4 started at the advent of the H3's launch so ORVIS is in constant motion with these rods as most other designers are. SAGE releases rods like Call of Duty games.

As far as cosmetics on the H4, I have no idea what they will be and that will be dependent on the the feedback they have gotten from consumers and the marketing direction they wish to go. Personally I think they should go with the H3 route because it has a modern/futuristic look and no other companies are offering cosmetics like that presently. Funny thing too is that if people are that disgruntled with the logo they can buy their desired high performance rod in the color from the myriad of other rod companies we have. We live in an era where all these rods are Lamborghini's, just choose the color you want and rock on!

As for making them look like bamboo, that'd be a weird direction for them to go but SAGE also darkened up their color schemes when going from Konnetic era to Konnetic HD to appease the angry old heads that believe rods have to be in a dark color. I rather liked the bright colors in the Konnetic lineup. I think the brown color bamboo would look weird on a graphite rod and would probably get a lot of looks from real bamboo rod users. That pushes the "replica" boundary I really don't like with gear where equipment tries to up-class itself without actually being said item (this is called up-badging in the car community). I think a fresh bamboo look would be neat. Douglas put that fresh bamboo color on their Upstream rods and I really dig it.

I'm far less concerned with color than I am the amount of clear coat they seem to put on rods today.

IMO a flat black rod is best went considering rod glare, which is an actual thing. Seems to me you might as well wave around a light saber when the sun is out.

Not much of an issue on small forested streams or big rivers but open meadow small spring creeks it can be a problem.

Yeah it wasn't a wish, I am just thinking out loud about the crazy ideas they could come up with.
Actually its already been done before....see Hexagraph rods.

IMO a flat black rod is best went considering rod glare, which is an actual thing. Seems to me you might as well wave around a light saber when the sun is out.

Not much of an issue on small forested streams or big rivers but open meadow small spring creeks it can be a problem.
I think that's a myth. First off, barring the H3 and my Douglas, I don't care much for matte finishes. I find them dreadfully boring like I find plastic pistols boring. I don't think the fish are really effected by rod glare and the rod doesn't reflect that much light. Sillier still if I am nymphing downstream of my intended target. I'd wager that my obnoxious wading and line slap alerts the fish well before they have the time to study what rod I am using and find they are disgruntled with my choice in rod color. Overall if my vibrant rod costs me a few fish out of the year I am ok with it because style is more important to me and I'm going to continue to fish with what I want how I want.

@Silent Ocelot

You did pretty well for a rookie.
Thank you, just wish I could truck after those fish like your son and I look forward to fishing with you next year in my full on pimp attire! Btw, the steelhead I went after two weekends ago were a breeze. No lost fish at all. A much easier fish to fight than those rocket salmon!

Back