Do it yourself rod guide repair?

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

I would like to try to repair my snake guides that I broke on my favorite rod. I broke two of them and I have some extras I can take off an old broken rod.

This year has been a bad year for equipment. I went 12 years with no equip. problems and this year; a broken tip, a broken rod right in the middle, and two rod guides.

Can I sand the finish off at the guides and unwrap the threads. What kind of thread and epoxy/finish should I use. I feel confident I can do this with some good directions. I would really like to use my favorite rod during vacation next week.

Is this a project I can accomplish by the end of the week or even during vacation? I am limited to using my Blackberry for the internet this week, so using the net is cumbersome with these little buttons. Just hoping someone on here can back me on my confidence. I would be thrilled if a trip to a hobby shop would solve my problem.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Go to this site...search "build graphite rod"...I think its part 9 that covers wrapping guides. Read them all actually its a good site. Anyway, do not sand anything. They also have a repair section you can search. I built my first rod using these instructions. You can do it. You should be able to remove re wrap and put a coat of epoxy on a couple of guides in a day.

Jake, Unless you want to spend your vacation fumbling with a rod instead of fishing, go for it. But if you only have your crackberry to use for research you are gonna put yourself through hell. You can get your rod repaired for about $10-15 buy a guy in our chapter...maybe not this week but he does nice work.

I'd wait til you have access to your computer before taking on the project. That way you will have lots of references to settle your mind and build your confidence.

Like Mo said, it's probably not worth the headache, especially if you have to buy thread, color preserve, and finish.

Any good fly shop should be able to fix it within 24 hours. I used to charge $10 plus the price of the guide at the shop I worked at.

If you can get someone to do the repair for ten or so,its well worth it.

I'd have thought it would cost more but that sounds good, so I guess I could expect no more than $30 or $40 for two guides on one rod. I just might try it myself though. Looks like I'll be on the "Crackberry" tonight thumbin' this little 2 1/2 inch Qwerty keyboard.

The hardest part is matching the thread color, if you have the right thread color you have it made.

Joe E

Repair is complete. Stayed up till three and worked on the two guides.

I did it the only way I knew how. I took a folding box knife and shaved off the finish and through the thread on the top side of the foot of the snake guides. I was then able to pluck the guide feet out and peel the threads off. Using a razor was faster than sanding and only shaving on the top side of the guide foot ensured that I wouldn't nick the blank.

After the guides and thread was removed I lightly sanded the area and began to wrap the new guides. I used brown thread instead of green and coated it with head epoxy for flies, (it was the only thing I had). I then wrapped it some more and apply several coats of head cement. I heald the rod sections and slowly spun them while the epoxy dries.

Result: Seems ok, not perfect like the maufacturer, but it is still drying and and the guides appear to be solidly in place. I guess we'll see if it holds up through next week. Untill then I'm going to let it dry if it doesn't hold up, I think it will, I can always research and do it the right way.

This repair will probably work for a while. However you most likely see some cracking in the finish as the head coating you used is not flexable when cured. Rod finish maintains some flexability when cured and holds up to the repeated flexing that a rods endures. You will probably want to redo this at some point with the right material, but for now I think that should work.

Back