Do I Need A Big Dollar Fly Rod?

??

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/eccaflyro.html

Yes Andy

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Wait...this is a graphite Fenwick isn't it?

Well what the crap!? You need to dump that stick and get this!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-FENWICK-FERALITE-FF75-Fly-Rod-Fishing-Pole-W-Case-EXCELLENT-Near-Mint-/111011005268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d8c58354

Maybe you'll feel its too short for bigger water, but I use mine on The Pine and do just fine ;-)

I would go 9 ft. 5 wt. Its a versatile rod and fits in your aresenal perfectly. I wouldnt worry about it against your 10 ft. Thats a huge jump and you will appreciate the extra four inches on western waters and its still short enough to fish medium eastern streams. Plus with the fast action of the modern rod, you can string it up to a 5.5 wt or 6 wt easily and perform very very well. If I could only have one rod thats what it would be...

Check out the yellowstone angler 5wt. shootout. I tested a lot of their rods and find their results are pretty accurate. I settled on the Hardy Zenith and reviewed it in the gear section.

Good luck!

if the fenwick was your work horse you want to replace it with another work horse of better quality. as stated the 9ft 5 wt is a very good all around rod an 8 1.2 ft would also work. you can cast streamers to tricos with it. as for brand and action, that is a personal decision that is best made by trying different rods. some shops have loaners or rentals to try, i would start there. also try going to different outings where there are lots of flyfishers and ask to try some out. i'm sure many would gladly allow you, I know i would and if you're in western PA you can come and try any of my outfits. the main thing is if you're going to lay out that much cash, try and get some stream time with the rods first.

Fade-
I like your taste in dogs and Dylan. It sounds like you want a new rod. You should get one. It'll make the trip even better. My suggestion would be to go to a good shop that carries a bunch of different brands and has sales people that know their stuff. Bonus if they are fff cast cert. TCO comes to mind (I have never been there--don't know them). Tell them your situation and that you are serious about buying a new rod. Take your reel and line if you are planning to keep them with your new rod. A good sales guy should be able to narrow down your options to 6 or 8 different rods from different brands/price points. Try to keep an open mind and cast the **** out of them for a while at your normal fishing distances. You should be able quickly rule out a few, and want to revisit a few others. Keep in mind you will be in MT for a week and most likely fishing this rod in PA for 20+yrs, so if you have to pick, lean towards the eastern set-up.
Also--just my opinion--consider the 9ft. 4 wt.

Fade,
check your PM's.

The first time I went to Colorado was fortunately when Sage introduced the One and the Z-Axis blanks went on sale at some places. Built a 9 1/2 ft 5 wt Z-Axis for around $300 and it has been a great rod when I need a little more distance or there is some wind. Not my go to rod out East, but it is what I need some days on the Delaware or when some larger PA streams are at a higher level. I prefer something a little faster and longer out West. Whether that is high end or not depends on the supplier.

A good flyrod is a lifetime investment. Taken care of properly it will outlast you. I have several top of the line rods and I really enjoy every moment on the water fishing with them. I also have several favorites that are not high priced and I also enjoy fishing with them too. Oh heck I guess I just enjoy fishing period. Get a rod you like and just have fun, high priced or not! ;-)

I agree with WTT above, if you have it spend it. Can't take it with ya!

Thank you all. I am going for a 9 ft Sage or Helios 5wt. I am going to look used as the 10 ft Powell I got used is an awesome rod.

I have a $425 bid on Ebay for last years Helios. 9ft 4/5wt. How much of a difference could there be between last year and this year?

fadeaway263 wrote:
I have a $425 bid on Ebay for last years Helios. 9ft 4/5wt. How much of a difference could there be between last year and this year?

At the very least, $600.00 worth if you believe Orvis. :)
Good Luck Fade!

fadeaway263 wrote:

4/5 wt? Is it 4 or 5? The original Helios can be found new for that ballpark.

pcray1231 wrote:

A side note, or heads up, or whatever. I just got a TU flier asking me to become a life member. It's $1200 or something, but it comes with a Sage One outfit. 9' 5 wt I believe. If that's the rod you'd want, and you don't already have a life membership, it's something to consider. If I were gonna spend 7 or 8 hundred on such an outfit anyway, I'd probably throw a few extra hundred on top and get the membership. Would be an easier sell to the wife as well. :)

I agree with this 100%. I am not a life TU member however if this was a 9' 6wt (the hole in my quiver), I would be all over it. Kevin, the One is an absolutely amazing rod. And this is coming for a die hard Winston guy. Throw in the Sage reel that comes with it and you have equipment value of around $900. The life membership is $1,200. Please consult your tax attorney (i.e. the guy in the cubical next to you) and I bet you will find a fair portion of that $1,200 is tax deductible. Just saying . . .

He's bidding on a Helios but no mention of flex. Don't they offer mid & tip?

Since I already have several Orvis Clearwater II rods, and am extremely happy with them....I did not see that the TU offer of lifetime membership with a rod as a gift was/or should be part of the equation. I wonder if I could pay the difference and still be a lifetime member? ;-)

That would be nice but I'm thinkin proly not. :roll: I get those invites almost once a month, I'd love to but money's tight. Of course when I'm thinking I can the offer will be gone.

Back