Do I Need A Big Dollar Fly Rod?

Fade, after watching the video, I wouldn't feel like I had to buy any "special" gear. I'd go in w/ what I'm comfortable with (also a Fenwick!), and I know holds up to battles. Remember "The Ghost and the Darkness"!? Never go into battle with an untrusted gun!

we live in wonderful times, when great echo carbon rods are out there as closeouts for $120 or even less. get one of those matched to your fishing, casting, fish, and stream, and there's no need for big $ stuff.

k-bob wrote:
we live in wonderful times, when great echo carbon rods are out there as closeouts for $120 or even less. get one of those matched to your fishing, casting, fish, and stream, and there's no need for big $ stuff.

Or you trade flies for a rod when someone doesn't want their nice rod any longer. :pint:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Fox come with us

That ship is still afloat although a few small holes may have developed. I mean how can I resist the lure of potentially bunking with you. :roll:

fox these are great win-win deals, and I dont get some televised intervention as a fishing gear hoarder!

I'll go back to Heritage-Anglers post and second that also.

I saw Joe Humphreys is going to be at the Lancaster Fly Show giving casting lessons and he is a great teacher.

If you are already a decent caster, he will help clean up your form and give you an anchor to go back to so you can correct yourself if you start to drift back.

Shock

k-bob wrote:
fox these are great win-win deals, and I dont get some televised intervention as a fishing gear hoarder!

That show would be titled "the Heriatge-Angler Chronicles". :cool:

Pffft. I get more enjoyment out of fishing a rod I haven't used in a few years, as opposed to finding a new unopened tube of Aquaseal in the junk drawer. :cool:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Pffft. I get more enjoyment out of fishing a rod I haven't used in a few years, as opposed to finding a new unopened tube of Aquaseal in the junk drawer. :cool:

Yooooooooooo, don't knock Aqua-seal. That's like fisherman's duct tape!!! :p

I think this has been pretty covered but Ill add my two cents.

Of course you dont "need" a high end fly rod. We dont really "need" much in our day to day lives. So the question is "want" and what is the benefit?

I own three premium rods and I have some serious dough wrapped up in them. Two Orvis Helios and one Hardy Zenith. I feel like it is money well spent and I wont buy another rod for probably 15-20 years.

Do I perceive a marked performance increase over my prior mid tier or low end rods? Absolutely...better rods, better reels, lighter, faster, distance, accuracy, you name it...all better. Does it help me catch more fish or trophy fish. Probably, but only marginally.

You could use a stick and a leader and if you present the right fly with the right drift you'll have a fish on. Your skills and fly selection will always trump rod performance. But I think its like driving a luxury automoble versus an every day car. Same functionality, but you sure as hell appreciate of the "premium" you paid for the luxury car. They are just better.

That being said because its a "want" only you can determine if its money well spent. Me? I would say yes....

lots of fly rods out there. maybe on average more expensive rods are better? but there are some outliers: some less expensive rods that are great, and some more expensive ones that aren't really great?

one source of bargians imho opinion can be "private label," a rod made by one company but sold by another company under a different name. for example, there have been some good closeout deals on cabela's LST and PT+ fly rods in the past, they were made by st croix and pretty nice for the $ when on sale.

I never regretted buying my Sage's. No one has enough data to say you catch more fish, but I enjoy my fishing experience more.
I noticed a big difference when I traded up from a 6wt St Croix legend ultra (a very good rod, that I recommend "for the price") to a Z-axis of the same size and weight. Night and day IMO.
Considering the fenwick is a starter rod IMO (unless I am misidentifying what you have), going to a premium rod (Sage, Winston, Scott) the difference will be significant.
As others said, look beyond Sage (I happen to like them the best) and definitely try to fish them for at least 30 minutes rather than cast them in a parking lot.

k-bob wrote:
one source of bargians imho opinion can be "private label," a rod made by one company but sold by another company under a different name. for example, there have been some good closeout deals on cabela's LST and PT+ fly rods in the past, they were made by st croix and pretty nice for the $ when on sale.

Redington is the largest producer of private label rods and reels.
Sometimes you can get a great private label rod and sometimes you get an absolute piece of junk. The LST's were nice casting rods but were way too brittle.IMHO, one of the best orivate label rods out there was the Orion by Bean... built by Loomis. What I wouldn't give to have another 10ft 8wt.

Right some good and bad in private label rods. I am still looking for a 662-2 cabelas PT+

k-bob wrote:
Right some good and bad in private label rods. I am still looking for a 662-2 cabelas PT+

That was a nice rod for the price. There was one on Ebay recently.

I also liked the SLi and FT.

"Do I need a big dollars fly rod?"

Sure why not. Especially if you have the money. It's nice to have nice things.

what ever brand you upgrade to you will like and enjoy for a lifetime. so really it will be a 1 time purchase.

last spring i met a rod builder on the clarks, he uses batson blanks, after chucking his zuddler 10 or so casts i picked up 3 fish. it had amazing sensitivity and would have never guessed that i did not have my sage in hand for hundreds less.

I really want to thank all of you for your thoughts and comments. Here is where I am on this. Last year I bought a used 10 ft 5wt Powell to fish the Wb Upper Delaware. Cost on Ebay $240. Love this rod. Last Powell to be manufactured in the USA. I suspect this might be too much for the EB of the Bitteroot. I have a 6ft Cabellas Tight Quarters which might be productive on the WB/EB of the Bitterroot. My 3rd rod and my working horse rod is my 8 foot 6 inch Fenwick. This is the rod I am thinking should be upgraded. Should I upgrade the Fenwick? And with what. Seems dumb to go 9 foot when I have the 10 foot Powell.

I really look forward to your thoughts on replacing the Fenwick. Yes it is a low entry serviceable rod. And Fox Gap you hurt me. You hit me with a flower. Bunk with the Prof if you come to Mt with us.

Wait...this is a graphite Fenwick isn't it?

Back