Didymo NOT spread by anglers?

klingy

klingy

Interesting research being done. Seems like we need to do more. I have always wondered why, if the diatoms are so hardy and easily transported from waterway to waterway, why havent the blooms spread to most waters by now (over the course of history) on the feet of ducks, geese, and other critters that "stream hop"? This research would suggest that this indeed has happened, but conditions have not been favorable for blooms. Thoughts?

My understanding of Didymo, which is very limited, is that it is present in most streams in some capacity. It flourishes in the right stream chemistry, typically low alkalinity amongst other factors. The mats are formed as the organisms compete with themselves and secrete their silicone stalks.

One study I read said that it spreads as the water gets cleaner.

Search for didymo in New Zeland. I guess it has destroyed many streams over there. They are working on a solution to control it. Hopefully they come up with something viable before it takes a bunch of ours.

I guess it has taken some stretches of tribs to the Yough, but seems to have stopped spreading for some reason.

My understanding of Didymo, which is very limited, is that it is present in most streams in some capacity. It flourishes in the right stream chemistry, typically low alkalinity amongst other factors. The mats are formed as the organisms compete with themselves and secrete their silicone stalks.
My understanding as well ...... so I don't understand why people who wade need to risk busted legs and etc because felt soles are not politically correct.

My understanding as well ...... so I don't understand why people who wade need to risk busted legs and etc because felt soles are not politically correct.

I wore felt soled wading boots for decades. I still own a pair of felts and use them mostly for fishing warmwater rivers when floating in my kayak; all other wading for the last 5 or 6 years has been with rubber/stud boots.

After both wading and walking many miles in and around all kinds of rivers and streams and terrain with both types of soles (invasives and regulations aside) I would choose rubber/studs every time......ymmv.

After talking to hundreds of anglers; my theory is most of the anglers that love felt soles have fished for a long time and remember slipin' and slidin' wearing old hard rubber boots from back in "the day." When felt soles were introduced, they were a quantum leap over the old rubber soles. Therefore, most of these anglers that wore both soles assume the rubber soled boots suck.

Rubber/stud boots work well in most conditions wading in the stream and, no contest, blow away felts when hiking or even just walking along the bank in mud or wet leaves as well as on snow and ice.

Sidenote: By mistake, I grabbed my felts and loaded them in my truck for the Newbie Jam on the LL yesterday. I hated wearing them! I had to be careful slippin' and sliding on the muddy bank.

Like I said, ymmv, but don't assume felts are always the best choice for wading boots.

As far as didymo; in Zealand, it has been determined through studies that anglers are most likely responsible for introducing it to that part of the world. The short version of the studies are didymo was not present there and it is now found in stream and rivers where anglers frequent and is not present in areas where angling. Here is the long version of studies done in NZ.

Didymo is native to North America. What is the native range and how it is spread is up for discussion.

Finally, a question.......What is your guess as to how New Zealand mud snails got into Spring Creek near State College, Pa?

Yeah I was a felt and stud advocate too for twenty years. Then five years ago with the didymo invasion I switched to rubber/studs. Greys platinum boot and would never go back. Its like walking down a sidewalk when I wade in them.

I hope Jonas has a size 11 the week of the Jam cuz I need a new pair.

I have had 2 pair of rubber soled boots with studs, and neither was as good as felt except the possible exception of on snow. And I don't do much fishing when there is snow on the ground.

FWIW, I have both. Simms Guide boots and some Chota felts, both studded.

On wet stream rocks, felt is better.

That said, studded rubber is adequate on rock, and far better than the rubber I remember from years ago. And it is better on everything except rock. Soil, mud, snow, etc.

On loose rock, even at river rock sizes, both are very good, it's not a problem. The only time you notice the difference is on BIG rocks, the kind that are angled and flat. I've been able to adjust and I'm fine with wearing rubber.

When I need a new pair of boots, I will consider studded "new" rubber... but, not before then. My studded felts do fine right now.

I blame Mallards and Canada Geese - so I shoot them!

I use Patagonia sticky rubber boots with their screw in studs ... they are much better than felts for hiking IMHO and about the same as felts on all but smooth bedrocky surfaces. as afish said felts have issues on muddy stream banks or trails. Because of the patagonias better performance in hiking and adequate on stream traction I won't go back to felts. Just have to anticipate the smooth rock issue. I often fish multiple streams per day and don't want to mess with boot treatment.

Back