Delaware River- " We have a problem Houston!"

To be clear, the DEP is a new York city agency that controls/patrols areas around the NYC reservoirs. I may be wrong, but I think the dep originated when the eb and wb were damned, and residents of former towns where the reservoirs are were forced to evacuate. The group that morphed into the dep was formed to enforce the eminent domain ruling. The DEP has little to nothing to do with environmental protection.

The DEC is the NYS dept of environmental conservation. They do work to protect the environment.

So where is the DEC for all this? Where are all the environmental folks for that matter? Where I live someone cries foul if you run over a toad that is the wrong color. I haven't seen anyone talking about loosing this wonderful trout habitat, much less exposing towns that were drowned to create the dam or the businesses downstream that depend upon its flow.

The DEP has total control of the reservoirs and their discharges. Unfortunately the DEC can't do much in this situation.

On a side note, up by Walton and north of Downsville I see quite a few DEP cars and trucks. Do they pull people over and give tickets? Speeding, cell phone, etc.?

The DEP is probably just trying to do damage control by keeping the public and the media out.

It would seem that they really don't want us to see those bore holes, or anything else they are doing. The photos they shared basically show us nothing of the damage or the actual work they are doing. At least now they are calling it damage and a mistake. That is a lot more than only a couple of weeks ago.

The trickle of information continues at a painfully slow pace with no assurances that they will make a full recovery or when.

Too the Catskill folks and people who care about the fishery the drip, drip, drip of information feels like Chinese Water Torture.

Here is an update on the D situation I found on another site:

This is the update from the NYCDEP spokesperson.

We have two brief updates on the work and monitoring downstream of Cannonsville Dam.

1) Work has progressed on the relief wells that will end the mobilization of sediment and the turbid discharge below the dam. Today we successfully began pumping the second relief well. This well ended up being more productive than the first one. It is pumping roughly 50 gallons per minute from the artesian aquifer; the first pumped roughly 5 gallons per minute. As a result, engineers on site observed a significant decrease in the flow rate and turbidity of the cloudy water that was leaving the rock embankment and entering the West Branch Delaware River. This is good news, and evidence that the relief wells are performing their intended function. A third relief well is expected to be pumping tomorrow. We expect the turbid flow could be ended very soon.

2) At approximately 5:30 p.m., DEP successfully changed the level at which it is drawing drinking water from Cannonsville Reservoir. Water going into the drinking water tunnel is now coming from the top, warmer level of the reservoir. This operational change will effectively extend the life of the cold water at the bottom of the reservoir, which is important for the fisheries downstream and in the reservoir itself.

The trickle of information continues at a painfully slow pace with no assurances that they will make a full recovery or when.

And how can they make these assurances? This is big effin' problem with a whole lot of variables and unknowns, with rather substantial consequences. Of course they're hedging on the information, because they don't know with enough confidence to say for sure one way or the other. If only they had Superman's x-ray vision to peer through the rock and see what's going on down there. I can sense your frustration, but take a step back and try to objectively look at it.

tomitrout wrote:

And how can they make these assurances? This is big effin' problem with a whole lot of variables and unknowns, with rather substantial consequences. Of course they're hedging on the information, because they don't know with enough confidence to say for sure one way or the other. If only they had Superman's x-ray vision to peer through the rock and see what's going on down there. I can sense your frustration, but take a step back and try to objectively look at it.

^agreed.

It is very frustrating, but updates by the DEP have been released on a regular basis.

It sounds like they are making progress with the bore holes to relieve the pressure (read my update above) and the draw of drinking water through the tunnels is now being made from the top of the reservoir to preserve cold water.

I'm not really sure what more can be done.

Obviously releasing more clearer pictures of mud holes and of the work they are doing to knee jerk fly fishermen will make the dam safe for the fish and the downstream residents. I personally do not know a good borehole from a bad borehole and I doubt most do. Not sure how releasing pictures and assurances help anything.

I agree it is a complex problem. It is a problem I can't begin to fix. From what I am reading I am happy with what they are telling me. I don't want them to waste time and money on making me a hydro geologist. I want them to fix the problem. I am confident that everybody is working towards that goal.

Ya I don't see the conspiracy theory here either.. (but hey always more interesting to pretend right?)

Seems DEP is releasing information, and that the news is positive in so much as the mitigation plan is working better than expected, on top of that they completed the change to the drinking water straw with the only reason to slow the cold water drain.

Seems like it working for me.

Finally some good news;

The DEP says their repairs are going well, but they will probably still run out of cold water, however it will later in the season than originally projected .

The FERC says that if the DEP repairs go well they will probably only have to drain the reservoir by 50% and if they determine the repairs are successful then they are not going to Sunset the reservoir or in other words drain it and close it.

It must be somewhat unnerving for the residents that the groundwater pocked turned out to be water running below the old stream bed and the compaction zone that support the dam, but the DEP says the dam is safe and it looks like the FERC is going to sign off on it.

In the latest info releases they did release a drawing of the bore holes and pictures of the relief wells.

"We are done" -- Residents near Cannonsville fed up with DEP
By Caroline Goggin

Cannonsville Dam
[2:16]Jul. 31, 2015. 06:04 PM EDTWBNG CBS Binghamton, NY
02:16
July 31, 2015
Updated Jul 31, 2015 at 7:24 PM EDT

Hancock, NY (WBNG Binghamton) New York City’s Department of Environmental Protection began repairs on the Cannonsville Reservoir on Wednesday.

Action News spoke with Director of Public Affairs for the DEP, Adam Bosch, over the phone.

"Everything is showing good news. Everything is going in the right direction,” Bosch said. “Things are going smoothly so far."
Despite reassurance from the DEP that all is well with the dam, some local business owners say they aren’t convinced.
Many are asking how the DEP could let the situation get to this point? Where was the supervision of the dam? How long will this take to fix?

Bosch told Action News he anticipates work will be complete within a few weeks time. Meanwhile, business owners and community members wait.

"Now, us below the dam, are reaping the consequences of your inability to do your job," owner of the fishing shop, West Branch Angler, Matt Batschelet said.

According to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, the West Branch of the Delaware River is divided into two sections by the Cannonsville Reservoir. Downstream of the Cannonsville Reservoir, the West Branch is a tailwater fishery -- that’s where Batschelet’s business, West Branch Angler, is located.

Nestled in the woods in Hancock, he said this 24-year-old family business has meant everything to him.

His livelihood sits on the West Branch of the Delaware -- the area the DEP has been repairing after a turbid discharge was detected below the dam.

Batschelet told Action News there are 30 cabins at his resort on the Delaware River. But, right now, only eight to 10 are being used. He said his business fluctuates as the flow of water does.
"This business, the land it sits on, and everything we've worked for for the last 25 years means nothing if that river is not there and not managed properly," he told Action News.

Batschelet also said he is confused as to how the DEP can afford to drain water from the reservoir. He said for years, he has been told by DEP officials the reservoir must always remain at capacity -- as to not jeopardize New York City’s water supply. Now, the situation has changed.

Public affairs director Bosch told Action News the DEP is able to drain water because of the heavy amount of rain the area received in June. He said in May, the DEP was just days away from declaring a drought watch -- June’s rain changed that.

According to the DEP’s website, Cannonsville is located at the western edge of Delaware County -- southwest of the Village of Walton and about 120 miles northwest of New York City. It was formed in 1964 by damming the West Branch of the Delaware River, which continues south, and becomes part of the lower Delaware River -- the border between New York and Pennsylvania. The reservoir holds 95.7 billion gallons at full capacity.

Water in the Delaware River is directly affected by the reservoir, as is business in the surrounding community.

"If we don't have the river, we have no industry in this town anymore," Theresa Allen, owner of Hancock Liquor Store, said.
Over the years, Allen watched her business increase and decrease based on tourism -- tourism directly affected by the flow of cold water, which is managed by the DEP.

"This past spring I've seen it [business] decrease by, I'm going to be conservative, 20 percent in the months of April and May," Allen said.

Well, that's some good news. No damage to the dam, everyone safe and cold water not depleted. They are actually ramping down the flows instead of the typical way of slamming a gate shut.

That squashed my hopes of getting another trip in the new boat. Hopefully weather 'plays nice'.... A little rain and cooler overnight temps to help keep the temps in check for the remainder of the summer.

they still have plenty of water - this shows that DEP COULD release decent water all summer and it would not a be a problem. The interesting thing I learned about this is that "they can" draw the drinking water from the top.. If that is the case why the h*ll haven't they been doing that for the past several years..? .. I'm with you Kray, I was hoping for one more "good water" float trip.... Oh well..

Back