Deep Creek Lake and Savage River trip

GonnaFlyNow

GonnaFlyNow

I am heading down to Deep Creek Lake on Thursday for a few days. I am heading out with Savage River Outfitters Thursday afternoon. Does anyone have any suggestions on what streams to fish in that area as I will be looking for other places to fish for the rest of the weekend. I will most likely target trout and smallies.

Cheers,

The two tailwaters are the savage and the north branch of the Potomac. Right now both are too high to fish but should hopefully come down by Thursday. If those are still roaring you should have some nice water on the upper savage and some of the other tributaries to the savage river reservoir. You could also check out the upper or middle yough, again all flow dependent. Mike at Savage River outfitters should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Feel free to reach out if you're looking for more details.

Thanks for the info. I've wanted to explore this area for some time. I have read some of your posts as well as others and always wanted to explore the area while visiting deep creek. It sounds like I should be in good hands with my guide.

The upper savage and tribs were in great shape 2 weeks ago when I stayed in Western MD for the weekend. Plenty of great water and nicely colored up brookies ready to hit a fly. North branch was high while we were there but they dropped the Savage to 287cfs from 600cfs and we did decent on streamers.

Keep an eye on the projected flows but with the lack of rain maybe one or both rivers will be fishable. Since you have a few days you can really get to fish some great water and see what the area has to offer.

It's looking like the savage should be down but the branch will be high. Your looking for the savage to lower than 275 or so and the branch to be under 500. You can fish both rivers at higher flows but really need to pick your spots. Here is a link to the predicted flows.

NB & Savage predicted releases

I'd be pounding the weed beds in the lake with jerk-baits for big fall Northerns if I were you....

foxfire,

I'm with you on the Northerns. I caught a small one last time I was down there. The lake should be pretty wide open this time of year. I am planning on hitting the lake during the weekend. Two days on the streams and two on the lake. I am hoping the the water levels in the stream come down a little. I will see what happens tomorrow.

Cheers,

I had two good days so far. I fished Big Run the most as I was catching fish there consistently. I also found some deep pools. I didn't catch anything there nor did I expect to. But it was worth the 15 minute hike just to check them out.

I didn't have any luck fishing the Savage. I have two days to go so I might give it another go. I just found orrs for the kayaks hanging on the back porch. This could be a lot of fun. I planned on fishing deep creek this weekend so this is a bonus. I will try get my pics uploaded as soon as I can resize them.

Cheers

GonnaFlyNow wrote:
I had two good days so far. I fished Big Run the most as I was catching fish there consistently. I also found some deep pools. I didn't catch anything there nor did I expect to. But it was worth the 15 minute hike just to check them out.

I didn't have any luck fishing the Savage. I have two days to go so I might give it another go. I just found orrs for the kayaks hanging on the back porch. This could be a lot of fun. I planned on fishing deep creek this weekend so this is a bonus. I will try get my pics uploaded as soon as I can resize them.

Cheers
The lower savage or upper?

lower savage. I fished the upper yesterday but the bite was not on. I am attaching a pic of the lower savage from this morning. It didn't look any different than yesterday. I thought the level was projected to come down today. I suspect there is some lag before there is a notable difference in the stream. I will post the pic with other pics.

Here are some pics.

Cheers

Attachments

• brook trout 1.jpg
    brook trout 1.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 5
  • brook trout 3.jpg
    brook trout 3.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 5
  • brook trout.jpg
    brook trout.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Middle Fork run.jpg
    Middle Fork run.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 6
And one more for Ryan. Here is the lower savage river around 9 AM this morning.

Attachments

• Lower Savage.jpg
    Lower Savage.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 5
They dropped it from around 300 to 190 this morning around 10. In these flows the best bet is to look for the small pockets of water where there is current breaks. Make short casts and keep your fly line off the water, it makes a huge difference! Those are some beautiful brookies!!

They dropped it again, levels are at a perfect flow.

Back