Dark Hendrickson

GDC,

Thank you for the kind words. Those wings are created with the tips of three natural dark dun CDC feathers.

Here is another neat comapra-dun, a Green Drake compara-dun and a Green Drake comapar-dun with just a little hackle for support.

Attachments

• March Brown - Front.JPG
    March Brown - Front.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 6
  • March Brown - Side.JPG
    March Brown - Side.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Another Green Drake.JPG
    Another Green Drake.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Matt's Green Drake.JPG
    Matt's Green Drake.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Green Drake Compara-dun (with grizzly hackle).JPG
    Green Drake Compara-dun (with grizzly hackle).JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 6
Those drakes and march browns are looking good and they will work on selective fish.

I have never fished with wbranch (what is my problem?!?! I have plenty of time mid-week) but I think I still put him in the top ten all around knowledgeable fishermen that I have met.

You're tying some really good flies.

JDaddy wrote;

"I have never fished with wbranch (what is my problem?!?!"

Hmm? do you want a personal invite? Look, flattery will get you everywhere so why don't you PM me and lets see if we can put a few trips together, during the week, on the system. We can do the lower WB, or upper main, in the Hyde or the upper WB in either the two man kayak or my two pontoon boats.

afishinado wrote:

The dark hendrickson is pattern that has been tied for many years, and I've never really understood why it is gray. It may work, like many other fly patterns, the exact color is seldom important.

A Catskill tie that sits high on the water would be my last choice as a style of fly to use during a hendrickson hatch.

They're grey because the fly (pattern) is named for Albert Hendrickson, not for the insect that happens to resemble the light version. The insects were named later.

The Dark Hendrickson, besides being a good all-round fly like the Adams, is a pretty good imitation of a Quill Gordon, and tied smaller, of the Blue Quill. The wet version is my go-to imitation for little brown stoneflies.

I've caught hundreds of trout during late March/early April on the traditional Catskill version of the dry. It's a fly well worth carrying.

Yinz got me confused.....i thought the Dark Hendrickson Catskill style was tied with upright , divided wood duck wings , dun hackle for tails , light grey dubbing (rabbit) for the body and finished off with dun hackles. Wasn't the Darby hackle the thing that made it the bomb?

osprey wrote:
Yinz got me confused.....i thought the Dark Hendrickson Catskill style was tied with upright , divided wood duck wings , dun hackle for tails , light grey dubbing (rabbit) for the body and finished off with dun hackles. Wasn't the Darby hackle the thing that made it the bomb?

Yup.

"Wasn't the Darby hackle the thing that made it the bomb?"

I knew Harry & Elsie Darbee and used to stop in there house/shop and I'd watch them tie. They had their fly tying desks side by side and they had all sorts of bamboo rods in cases inthe corner of the room.

In regard to the dry fly hackle that Harry used; he was raising his own roosters and I believe he got his genetic chicks from a gentleman named Andy Miner. They were nice dun feathers but by no means anywhere as consistently long and stiff as later capes, and saddles, of Metz, Hoffman, and later Whiting came out with after serious scientific genetic breeding in the early 1980's.

I don't believe that the Darby hackle had anything to do with the popularity, or effectiveness, of the Dark Hendrickson. The fly had already been around for decades.

I bought a flamed Leonard Baby Catskill 7' #4 from Harry for $200.00.

A few times when I went to the Darby house there was someone there of reknown in the fly fishing world of the early 1960's. I met Sparse Grey Hackle (Alfred Miller) Larry Solomon, and others. Everett Garrison was still alive, and making rods, but the waiting list was so long that it was pretty much impossible to get one. I did though get a Thomas 8' 6" 3 piece, the Leonard, a couple of Orvis rods, a Walt Carpenter 7' 6" #5 that I still own and a Miney Hull rod which I sold long ago.

In all the time I visited the Darbees which was about ten years I never saw either one of them ever fish the Willowemoc or Beaverkill. I don't think Harry had fished the local waters in twenty years. He said he still did some Atlantic salmon fishing on the Margaree but I think he had lost all interest in fishing the local waters.

Wbranch..........i know the fly was around but the Catskill style was mentioned in the OP and i was referring to the Catskill style when i mentioned the Darby hackle. Wasn't the tail in the original also wooduck like the wings and the Darby hackle floated better? I'll bet it was the greatest thing to be able to sit and watch those 2 tie and tell stories.............I"M JEALOUS!!!!!

WB,

Good observation about the mayfly eyes. I made a very similar comment in a thread I started about the hendricksons earlier this month

Look at post # 3 from this thread My hendrickson flies

Osprey,

"Wasn't the tail in the original also wooduck like the wings and the Darby hackle floated better? I'll bet it was the greatest thing to be able to sit and watch those 2 tie and tell stories.............I"M JEALOUS!!!!"

Well I can't answer the comment about whether the tails were woodduck. I do know that Harry was a strong proponent of spade hackles for the tails of dry flies. Heck, I didn't even know what a spade hackle was back then! He opened a little yellowed cellophane envelope and handed me about four dark dun spade hackles. And said to me "now you only use these for tailing". It was pretty cool. I used them for tails on Art Flick's Dun Variant.

Yes, it was very cool to see Harry "hold court" with everyone who came into the store. Let's face it he was a legend, an icon, and guys would just wait, with bated breath, on every utterance he made. He even gave me six flies that he tied which much to my dismay somehow disappeared out of my VW van before I even got home that weekend. To this day I think someone in the store saw Harry give me those flies and then stole them right out of the vehicle while I was fishing.

Oh, you said "....I"M JEALOUS!!!!" Well while it was great to have experienced those times back in the early 1960's when FF was just starting to take off - but then you'd be an old dog like I am who can't hardly wade at all anymore. Pretty soon I'll probably have to hook up with some young whippersnapper to help me get the Hyde off, and back onto, the trailer at the end of the day. Ya think I could find a younger guy who'd float with me and row?

I am pretty sure there are a lot of us young whippersnappers that would row for you! Not Jdaddy though. He prefers to "forget" his oars and have others row him down the river. Lol! Jk

Will row for food.

Catskill type flies still catch many fish, and are well worth carrying IMO.

Wbranch - I'll row for beer!

Hammertime;

"Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

I like your signature. I'll row for you.

Dryflyguy,

"Catskill type flies still catch many fish, and are well worth carrying IMO.

Wbranch - I'll row for beer!"

Yes, Catskill type flies have their place...just not in my fly boxes! just kidding. In swift, riffly, water I'd probably put on a hackled thorax dun which is just an aberation of a Catskill type fly. Move the wing back to almost mid point and clip the hackle on the bottom.

I also still like to tie divided woodduck wing Quill Gordons and other flies in that genre just because they look so pretty in my fly boxes.

I personally don't use catskill dries but I know people who do and do well, especially in faster moving water when duns are high on the water column and are fluttering around and can't dry their wings because it's cold and damp. I like to use a thorax pattern in these circumstances but I would not say a catskill dry is useless by any means.

after seeing how much knowledge got packed into this post it looks like CDC and comparadun hair are on my material to buy list.

Thanks guys.

Hey Mike,

"after seeing how much knowledge got packed into this post it looks like CDC and comparadun hair are on my material to buy list."

Since you are a pro tier/inventor/entrepeneur and you are likely going to be making personal gains from the knowledge you have gleaned from these posts I think it would only be fitting that you man up and "pay" for our tutelage.

I think you should send every poster who contributed to this thread half a dozen nymphs. That seems to be a modest price to "pay" for the plethora of knowledge you have gained over the past few days.

Back