Critique, Tips, Suggestions for a Newbie

FlyGuyGlen wrote:
nomad_archer wrote:
FlyGuyGlen wrote:
I've never caught a trout

We will need to remedy that.

It's why I'm here. Needed an intervention! :lol:

Trout are fun and I fish for them a lot but warm water is where I am headed this year.

Managed a couple #14s at lunch. This was the best of the two....still not 100% on the tail length, but happy with the results.

See I tie mine all in one motion. I don't tie in the tail, body, or wingcase separately.

the underneath side of any feather will have sheen to it.

When I tie my pheasant tails. I tie the wire rib on first. Keep it on one side of the shank.

I then tie the tail in and let the rest hang out there. at this point the "natural side" (TOP SIDE IS FACING UP)

I then wrap my thread on under the tag end of the tail fibers and stop it where I am going to start the wing case, very easy to keep track of if using lively legs.

Now I take the pheasant tail and my first wrap covers the thread. as I am wrapping forward half of the tail fibers are covering the previous wrap of tail fiber. Kind of double stacking I guess. Once I get to the place where I have my thread sitting, I then make tw-3 wraps of thread over top of the fibers there.

bing-instant wing case.

"But what about the exposed thread?"

When I wrap the wire I make sure to keep the distance spaced so that my last wrap will cover that thread.

This will do a couple things.

(1) anchor that fiber on with thread

(2) anchor that thread with wire

Double protection.

Then all I do is tie in my peacock hearl and wrap forward.

Much easier to tie a pheasant tail this way and IMO more durable, less bulk.

If I can I will do a video on it and post it on facebook or put it on you tube. I am not sure if that is how they do it on any of the videos that were posted but that is how I do mine.

mike_richardson wrote:
See I tie mine all in one motion. I don't tie in the tail, body, or wingcase separately.

Something like this? That does sound easier....and it calls to trim the "legs" so they are the correct length. In otherwords....there are 100s of ways to skin a Pheasant Tail Nymph. :D

It's tough to go wrong with Charlie Craven, IMO.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
It's tough to go wrong with Charlie Craven, IMO.

That's probably the toughest part of being a newbie this day in age. There is just so much information available, every time you turn around there's another way to do something! :lol:

Did about a dozen #14 PTs following Charlie's steps. Definitely easier, and faster. And I think it looks cleaner in the end. Now that I have 3 dozen PT...i think I'll move on to Hare's ears next. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 1
LOL I didn't know that there was an actual named method to how I tie them LOL. I was just looking for a way to save time on them.

Those look good.

Have you tried cutting a snip out of the front section of mallard insead of using the pheasant tail for legs?

It is pretty easy to be honest. Before you fold your wingcase over, take mallard flank feather and cut a square or v out of the center of the feather. lay the feather on top of your fly and give it a few wraps. Snip off the excess, and fold your wing case over and finish the fly.

Its easy to make the "legs" too long, so just be mindful of that when you set it on. Try and size it the best you can.

Tried my hand at a couple Gold Ribbed Hares Ears at lunch today. First one's body was a little too bushy I think. Second on had a much better taper and looks much cleaner. I like it.

Attachments

• GR Hares Ear 1.jpg
    GR Hares Ear 1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 2
  • GR Hares Ear 1a.jpg
    GR Hares Ear 1a.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1
  • GR Hares Ear 2.jpg
    GR Hares Ear 2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1
  • GR Hares Ear 2a.jpg
    GR Hares Ear 2a.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1
mike_richardson wrote:
LOL I didn't know that there was an actual named method to how I tie them LOL. I was just looking for a way to save time on them.

Those look good.

Have you tried cutting a snip out of the front section of mallard insead of using the pheasant tail for legs?

It is pretty easy to be honest. Before you fold your wingcase over, take mallard flank feather and cut a square or v out of the center of the feather. lay the feather on top of your fly and give it a few wraps. Snip off the excess, and fold your wing case over and finish the fly.

Its easy to make the "legs" too long, so just be mindful of that when you set it on. Try and size it the best you can.

Thanks Mike! Between you, Trevor, and the guys on here, I feel like I am getting some really good advise. I'll look into mallard flank next time I tie some PTs. Which will probably be sooner than later, after I get a chance to get out and sacrifice the current stock to the tree/water gods. (hopefully I get some fish in the meantime though!) :lol:

FlyGuyGlen wrote:
Tried my hand at a couple Gold Ribbed Hares Ears at lunch today. First one's body was a little too bushy I think. Second on had a much better taper and looks much cleaner. I like it.

BUSHY IS GOOD!

Those look great man, good job.

Good looking. I like to use coq de leon tailing packs for all of my tails anymore. Easy to work with and very durable.

nomad_archer wrote:
Good looking. I like to use coq de leon tailing packs for all of my tails anymore. Easy to work with and very durable.

I was looking at a pack of CDL at Angler's Pro, at their Open House on Saturday. I thought it looked like it would have made good tails. Shoulda picked it up.

I bought the whiting tailing pack. I did see the other day that there was a mayfly tailing pack which had some colors that I want to pick up.

Did a couple more Gold Ribbed Hares Ears, and a couple Guides Choice Hares Ears. Soft hackle looks a little big. Might need to invest in a new hackle gauge, the one I have was an eBay special and difficult to read in low light/shadows.

Attachments

• IMG_1183.JPG
    IMG_1183.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1181.JPG
    IMG_1181.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 2
Here's what you're shooting for.

Hare's Ear

What do YOU think you need to change?

(Sorry, couldn't get the image to display so posted a link instead)

Glen I think the soft hackle looks pretty good. Try using some of the partridge fibers as a tail and see if you like it.

Those GRHE's look good. They will definitely catch fish. my only suggestion would be to build up the thorax just a little bit. It will help add a little taper and profile to the fly. Keep at it. Your flies are looking good!

PennKev wrote:
Here's what you're shooting for.

Hare's Ear

What do YOU think you need to change?

(Sorry, couldn't get the image to display so posted a link instead)

This is what I was going for look wise, as I was following Charlie's recipe.

That said, my thorax could be a little longer and fatter. (I was worried about making it too fat) Unfortunately, my ribbing did not stand out in the photos I took, so it looks like it doesn't exist. I like the rabbit guardhares as a tail, which is why I used them for the Guides Choice.

Glen I think the soft hackle looks pretty good. Try using some of the partridge fibers as a tail and see if you like it.

Yea, my tails look a little sparse. Could have used a darker hen feather (or even CDL had I grabbed it this weekend). I'll give pheasant a go when I pick up some more hooks.

Thanks NPflychucker.

FlyGuyGlen
check out this document from the Fly Tying Group Bronze Skill Award Handbook.

Let me know if you have any questions. I also have videos on my website www.flytyingtips.com

Jerry Coviello

Back