Critique, Tips, Suggestions for a Newbie

F

FlyGuyGlen

At the suggestion from RC, I'm making this thread to post snaps of my flies. As a newbie, I welcome all tips, suggestions, and critiques (good and bad). I appreciate all the feedback in advance!

Let the flies begin!!

I assume most have seen my original photos in the "What are you tying today." Thread. I rounded out the first dozen American PT Nymphs, and managed to get the legs working out right. Progress can be seen in the first two photos. (L-R ,T-B)

After that, I had an extra daiichi #16. So I ventured a try at the Beadhead soft hackle PT. Seems to be a gap at the bead, but it is solidly set. Guess I could have run the peacock hurl a little closer before hackling.

Attachments

• IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1130.JPG
    IMG_1130.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 2
Tails are all 2 to 2 1/2 times too long. The legs on the PT's are about 2 times too long. The hackles on the soft hackles are a little long also, particularly in the third pic. You may want to use a bigger bead on that size of hook also.

Otherwise, you are on the right track.

tails and legs too long

thorax area on some are too short

general (not absolute) nymph proportions

nymph2.JPG

the hook has all of the proportiions already built in

1523FC.jpg

here is an excellent pheasant tail nymph tying tutorial

http://www.completefisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7517

Thanks guys.

PennKev, the bead size is the middle size (3/32) as suggested by wapsi for a #16 hook. It is however 1/64 less than the size that was suggested in the recipe. Is there a general rule for choosing a bead size? I rationalized that going bigger wasn't necessarily better for someone so small.

That graphic is perfect. Thanks Nfrechet.

I'll be sure to work on 1/2 tail lengths (TightLines video was calling for 3/4 shank length, but some of mine are definitely still too long), and shorter legs with the next dozen.

nfrechet wrote:
here is an excellent pheasant tail nymph tying tutorial

http://www.completefisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7517

Wonderful, I'll follow this one for round two. The proportions are definitely a bit less than the TightLines one. 1/2 shank tail vs 3/4, thorax starting at the mid vs the 1/3 point (this would account for my long legs when I made the second portion of pheasant fibers an eye-bend long.)

Truly appreciate the input guys!

FlyGuyGlen wrote:
PennKev, the bead size is the middle size (3/32) as suggested by wapsi for a #16 hook. It is however 1/64 less than the size that was suggested in the recipe. Is there a general rule for choosing a bead size? I rationalized that going bigger wasn't necessarily better for someone so small.

It'll probably look better once you get all the other proportions right. The bead looks small relative to the hackle, tail, etc. There's usually a couple sizes of beads that will work for a given hook size. Sizing all parts of the fly is subjective to some degree.

PennKev wrote:
Sizing all parts of the fly is subjective to some degree.

^^^ Very important thing to remember. What looks good to me may not look good to someone else. Personally I don't mind oversized soft hackle once it gets in the water its just more movement. I wouldnt worry too much about the hackle. The bead looks fine but you could go up a size. But these are minor things to please the fishermen. Fish don't seem to care. I would shorten up tail. In the future give coq de leon a try as a tailing material. I bought a whiting tailing pack and have been using it as tails on all my nymphs. Its easy to work with and looks great.

As with almost everything in life, I suppose. Opinions vary from one to the next, eh.

As for my existing long tails....should leave'em as is and see if the fish like the, or give them a little trim to better fit proportions?

FlyGuyGlen wrote:
As with almost everything in life, I suppose. Opinions vary from one to the next, eh.

As for my existing long tails....should leave'em as is and see if the fish like the, or give them a little trim to better fit proportions?

Fish them. The trout will eat them no problem.

FlyGuyGlen wrote:

If you aren't happy with them now, wait until you trim them!

Seriously though, either fish 'em, or take a razor blade to them and start over completely.

FGG: Good efforts. The previous comments are spot on. That's the "What."

Now for the "why."

PTs mostly imitate mayfly nymphs, especially thin-bodied nymphs. Here are some examples from a very good reference site. You'll notice some are fat-bodied, some are thin. Some have longer tails an legs, some shorter. While you should NOT get too hung up on imitation, especially with PTs and other generalist patterns, it's always nice, IMO, to know why the proportions are what they are. They are not arbitrary.

1. Blue Winged Olive: http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/694

2. Hendrickson: http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/448

3. March Brown: http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/475

4. Sulphur (light/pale): http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/766

I hope this is helpful.

I'd catch fish on that soft hackle all day long. Nicely done.

This is a nice Tight Line video for a size 16 pheasant tail although it does not have a bead:

RCFetter wrote:
This is a nice Tight Line video for a size 16 pheasant tail although it does not have a bead:

Thanks RC. That is actually the one I was attempting to follow. The Bead Head, Soft Hackle is from Tight Line as well.

I recognize those flies....

Your coming along. don't take any of the critiques personal. These guys, will help you get to your A-Game.

I used to tie my tails a lot longer than I do now. very similar to yours. I don't now.

One thing I don't think was mentioned is crouding the hook eye. Be careful on that.

You may be able to get by with using less fibers as well. maybe 5-6. I cant tell how many that are on there.

When you cut the fibers they will be at a taper depending where you snip from.

Grab one side of it and slide the other down to keep them lined up, or keep the middle high. I do it both ways, but mostly keep them in a straight line if I can.

Honest ley I have never put the "legs" like those on my pheasant tails. I use lively legs or just don't put them on. Before I used lively legz I still caught thousands (no exaggeration) of trout on just a plain on PT with not legs, flash, or anything. Just pht, copper ribbing, peacock, and a bead.

Saves time tying and they still catch fish.

Hard to tell in the pic, but it almost looks like you tied the wingcase on with the shiny side of the fibers facing up on the fly. I would recommend flipping that over so the "natural side" is facing.

Mike just want to make sure I understand the wing case point. Are you saying tie the wing case so that the bottom side of the fibers is facing up? I think he is using PT for the wing case versus turkey so that may be part of why it looks different. What do you use for your wing cases?

mike_richardson wrote:
I recognize those flies....

Crap....you now know my true identity! Yes...it is true....I'M TROUTMAN! :lol: (Though I am ashamed to admit...I've never caught a trout)

Your coming along. don't take any of the critiques personal. These guys, will help you get to your A-Game.

I used to tie my tails a lot longer than I do now. very similar to yours. I don't now.

One thing I don't think was mentioned is crouding the hook eye. Be careful on that.

That is why I made the thread....critique (good and bad) is how you learn. I'd love to take a class (maybe I'll be able to catch one of Jerry's soon), but with the littles, it makes skipping out at night or on weekends difficult. So for now, its trial by fire! :D

Hard to tell in the pic, but it almost looks like you tied the wingcase on with the shiny side of the fibers facing up on the fly. I would recommend flipping that over so the "natural side" is facing.

I'm going to ditto Trevor on this one. Are you suggesting that once I strip the fibers, instead of placing them on the shank like I would the tail fibers, place them upside down? So when I pull them forward over the thread, the top side is facing out? (To Trevor's point, I am using PT and not Turkey if that matters).

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll definitely post photos of the next dozen for reference/update. Likely this weekend sometime.

Managed to get the second dozen cranked out tonight. Tried my best to stick to the proportion provided by nfrechet earlier. In some cases measuring thrice. Feel they are definitely an improvement over the first set, and definitely getting a better feel for tying materials in with little waste.

Tails look a smidge long on a couple...but FINALLY figured out the legs. The few without, were me fed up with trying for a couple ties! :)

Anyway, definitely not perfect, but I think they're better.

Thanks again to all you guys for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 1
FlyGuyGlen wrote:
I've never caught a trout

We will need to remedy that.

Nice improvement. You will only get better with practice but you already know that. I love the enthusiasm. Keep up the good work.

Back