Coq de leon Spanish flies

Wildfish

Wildfish

Talked to a couple guys from Spain who had a booth at the Somerset show today. They use CDL for caddis wings in addition to wet flies. Seemed like a good idea (nice and shiny). Anyone else use the stuff? I picked up a bunch and a tiny hair stacker to give it a shot.

I know a few people that like it for tailing.

Great tailing material, so are spade hackles.

Wildfish, was this the full cape of CDL at Sommerset? I looked at that too, but it did not seem like the fibers were as stiff as the CDL I've used for tailing. I almost bought some of that myself because the price seemed good, but I had already broken the bank on some a partridge skin and a pair of those nifty sixth finger scissors. The caddis sounds like a really good use for it though. The speckling in the fibers should make for a really nice imitation of caddis wing.

They weren't capes (at least they probably didn't come from the bird's neck). They looked like this: http://www.hareline.com/images/harelinejpegweb/CDL.jpg

I think they were like $8.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to throw money around. Showed up an hour before closing. Needed to grab a cape from the guy I like who only sells $10 necks at shows. Must have missed those 6-finger scissors.

how much were partridge going for this year ??

Badger had partridge skins for $15.

Collins' hackle is a fantastic deal, two great dry capes for $10/ea, and a commercial grade for $15. The $10 bargins are as nice as my Whiting silver grade at a fraction of the price, for what I'm doing at least.

I celebrated by tying a handful of size 20 parachutes last night.

Gfen--I buy Collins' stuff every time I go to these kinds of shows. I haven't used a non-Collins cape since I started tying. I never have trouble with feathers twisting or breaking, and even the bargain capes have a variety of every size I need. Really a great deal.

jayL wrote:
I know a few people that like it for tailing.

It definitely is. I bought some at TCO in State College last year and used it some, not a lot, but I really like it.

its great for tailing , it doesn't matt together when wet and its stiff

I'm really liking the gray fluffy stuff at the base of the feathers (what's it called?). I'm using it at the head of midge emergers and it looks great underwater--lots of movement and little trapped air bubbles. Hanging them off of a parasol.

(what's it called?).

Philo plume or filo plume which ever you like...LOL

Coq de leon is like spade hackle for tailing? I love making dry fly tails from spade hackle , i use a .22 shell casing and stack a couple pinches of the fibers to get a nice tight looking straight tail for on Catskill style dry flies , could i do that with coq de leon?

sandfly wrote:
(what's it called?).
Philo plume or filo plume which ever you like...LOL

Unless he means the aftershaft feather.

attachment.php

The aftershaft feather is the little marabou like plume that grows off the main feather.

This has a pretty good description about halfway down under "semiplume:" http://www.terryhellekson.com/ringneck_pheasant.htm

Osprey,
Yes, definitely. They are stiff and have very little webbing. I bought a tiny hair stacker for use with these, but it probably wasn't necessary. They're like extra shiny spade hackle with black flecks (not quite grizzly).

I think the gray fluffy stuff is the filoplume. These feathers have a lot of it. It's like short marabou. If you have some lying around it really does a great job tied in as front legs. I'm working it into caddis larvae as well (just an emerger hook, light tan thread with copper rib, black bead head and a wrap of this fluff behind the bead).

gfen wrote:
Badger had partridge skins for $15.

Collins' hackle is a fantastic deal, two great dry capes for $10/ea, and a commercial grade for $15. The $10 bargins are as nice as my Whiting silver grade at a fraction of the price, for what I'm doing at least.

I celebrated by tying a handful of size 20 parachutes last night.

I went to the show for the first time and as a new tier I know I needed to pick up hackle, because I did not have any yet. I asked Heritage how much some cost and he said probably the cheapest will be 35 dollars. When we got to Charlie Collins booth, I could not believe the prices were so cheap. I alerted H-A and we quickly went on a rampage of materials. Of course I had no idea what I should be looking for. I just started grabbing things and asking opinions from Gfen and H-A. Well I walked away from the booth with 9 packages for 75 dollars. I was told by H-A, that I made out. Charlie was great because he saw that I was a new tier and told me to come back a little later in the show so he could have some time with me to talk. During our conversation he explained how to get the most out of his hackle and some words of encouragement. Very nice gentleman, and I will probaly buy most of my hackle off of him, the rest of my fly fishing life.

Shane - That was just luck. As a general rule of thumb, the difference between the various grades of hackle lies in the quantity and usuable length of feathers of a given size on the neck. You'll be able to tie more flies of a given size with a higher grade cape.

Charlie Collins is well known for his good prices, and if you know what to look for, you can get some good bargains. The capes you got were a FIERY bargain. Charlie screwed up when he skinned some of those capes on the bargain table. He cut off some of the tiniest feathers, and being the nice guy that he is, decided to sell them cheap. They should have been top grade capes. There was still enough of the little stuff to make them a great deal. His little "seminar" on hackle was spot on, too. Free is always cool.

At $10 - $15 per cape, you made out like a bandit - I did too! You're set for years to come. That dark cape I gave you in your "care package" a few weeks back will work just fine for black. We need to get you some moth balls to store them with. If you'd like to do another tying session this weekend, lemme know and I'll bring you some. Another option is to get some flea and tick collars from the dollar store, and cut them up into strips to put in with your materials. I use cedar blocks for the less expensive stuff, as it's easier on you, but they're not as effective as mothballs.

Another thing we should work on is a dedicated tying area. Gotta get that expensive stuff up and out of the way of paws, jaws, and prying little fingers. ;-)

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Another thing we should work on is a dedicated tying area. Gotta get that expensive stuff up and out of the way of paws, jaws, and prying little fingers. ;-)

I wish I had more room in my damn house, but until I get rid of my giant black granite table or the kids move out, I just don't have it. The dog has already begun sniffing around my tying supplies, but the kids know better. Well the youngest likes to climb on the giant rubbermaid container, but they have not begun to play cowboy's Indians with feather headdresses yet. Friday is good for me if you would like to come up.

Attachments

• indian-headpiece.jpg
    indian-headpiece.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 4
Heritage-Angler wrote:
Another thing we should work on is an effort to make sure that we dont refer to Alpa as "The Lovechild! . ;-)

^
||

Well, that was unexpected.

Back