Convert me

Judging by the fact the OP hasn't logged in again since making the post, I'm wondering if we all didn't just take the bait here.

A lot of good, thoughtful responses and nice offers to help though.

Well the original OP may not have read this thread, but I did and enjoyed it. 10 years ago I got back into trout fishing after a 30 year hiatus after a heart attack. I fished bass and saltwater those 30 years, but wanted something for after work to exercise and relax. Started where I left off with bait. A guy who is a member here was posting on another site about using rapalas and having better success than me. I asked a few questions and started fishing lures for trout and caught way more and had a ball with it. Never looked back to bait. Now reading his blog and seeing how he catches a lot of trout on flies in conditions where my spinning fell short I am going to seriously FF this spring. At age 59 1/2, I doubt I will ever master FFing but still want to learn how now that I am retired and can pick times to go when the streams are less crowded. I have caught trout on streamers, but want to learn nymph fishing. Can't wait! Enjoyed this thread.

I guess the point is it's not about converting but more about learning more about fishing and different techniques.

reelinron wrote:

I guess the point is it's not about converting but more about learning more about fishing and different techniques.

I'd love to teach you as much as I know..I'll even guide you for a full day on some of my favorite trout waters for the small price of a Genesee Cream Ale. ????

What are your questions and what do you want to know more about?

Swattie is definitely on to something. Maybe we should start belittling the OP and draw him out of the woodpile.

jifigz wrote:
reelinron wrote:

I'd love to teach you as much as I know..I'll even guide you for a full day on some of my favorite trout waters for the small price of a Genesee Cream Ale. ????

OK, I want to know if most people fish multiple nymphs together? I want to know if a dropper or a line off the end of the first fly is better for beginners? I want to know if most beginners don't even recognize most bites? I want to know if an indicator is the best way for beginners? I want to know if trout know when things don't look right why I have read that wet flies can be retrieved up current? I know a lot of this will become clearer when I practice, but I ain't no spring chicken and don't have a life time to learn so I want to get up to speed as fast as I can.

reelinron wrote:
jifigz wrote:
reelinron wrote:

OK, I want to know if most people fish multiple nymphs together? I want to know if a dropper or a line off the end of the first fly is better for beginners? I want to know if most beginners don't even recognize most bites? I want to know if an indicator is the best way for beginners? I want to know if trout know when things don't look right why I have read that wet flies can be retrieved up current? I know a lot of this will become clearer when I practice, but I ain't no spring chicken and don't have a life time to learn so I want to get up to speed as fast as I can.
In order
1.Yes most people, not all, fish two nymphs where legal.
2. Beginners should start with one nymph, after you get comfortable try all the different ways to drop a fly and see what works best for you.
3. Most beginners and experienced fisherman miss alot of takes(I will try to find a video and post it)
4. I think so, it helps make the drag free drift concept easier. Remember the water on the bottom is slower than the top. Your indicator should be moving slower than the surface water.
5. Because there are nymphs that are strong swimmers.
Hope this helps.

Mods: didn't mean to hijack thread, please move if appropriate.

jifigz wrote:

I didn't know Genesee Cream Ale was still available. I haven't had it in at least 40 years. I'll probably be disappointed. Memory is a funny thing, but maybe it will convert me!

KGStine wrote:
jifigz wrote:

I didn't know Genesee Cream Ale was still available. I haven't had it in at least 40 years. I'll probably be disappointed. Memory is a funny thing, but maybe it will convert me!

Of course it is. I know my beer and various alcohol quite well. But Genny Cream Ale has held a special place in my heart for a long time. It isn't great but for the money it can't be beat.

Hopefully you can make it back to another jam here at my place. I want to plan it farther ahead and make sure I find someone to work for me and cover the winery so I can fish and float more..

Much in the way of fly fishing wisdom has been offered in this thread, and the only place I'll make an argument is with regard to spinners inherently catching more trout than flies. That said, I have a few suggestions that may help:

--Learn about drag. With spinner fishing, your goal is drag, which is when your lure is being pulled against the current (which turns the spinner blade). For most fly fishing, most of the time, you want a dead drift, on the bottom. After I've been spinner fishing for a trip or two, I find it hard to get back to the dead drift of fly fishing. With spinner fishing, it's all about dragging the spinner through where you think the trout is. With most fly fishing, it is all about placing the fly at a spot upstream from where you think the fish is and getting it to sink to the fish's level, even as the fly looks like any other bug or piece of debris floating down the creek.

--The back cast so prominently featured in "A River Runs Through It" looks really cool, but in these parts, it is useful about a quarter to a third of the time. Master the roll cast. Learn about the bow and arrow cast (there's a cool Joe Humphreys video on youtube showing the roll cast). Most importantly: Master the roll cast (repetition intended!).

--If you are catching fish with spinners but not with flies on the same day on the same creek, are you getting hits on the fly but not setting the hook, or getting no hits? Either way you need to check your presentation and line management. If you are getting no hits, likely your line is hitting the water hard and putting fish down. Strictly speaking, the less line on the water, the better, because it casts a shadow and puts fish down. Best to have it drift over shallows and unproductive water. If you are getting hits but not hooking, likely you are not collecting your line as the fly drifts (that is to say, not keeping your line tight). This is like when you make a long cast with that Panther Martin on a windy day and the trout grabs the spinner on the fall, but you have too much line out to set the hook.

--Finally, it's a movie, not a fly casting lesson. Fly fishing looks cool, but it looks extra cool in that movie. For example, shadow casting, where the fly suspends in the air for a split second and the trout leaps out of the water to grab it, is essentially the same thing as using the Force from Star Wars to open a door or knock a battle droid out of action. Likewise, long casts are impressive to watch, but line management and hooking ability on long casts is extremely difficult.

The old school rule for starting out is to have a leader about the length of your rod, plus tippet (seven- to nine-foot tapered leader plus two feet of tippet for nine to 12 feet of leader). For most fishing, you will want to have a rod length to maybe a rod and a half length of line out. Rod length, plus line out, plus leader length means you are about 20 to 25 feet from the fish you are after. That means you needs to think about your approach to the hole, as you would with a spinner, but your approach needs to be inherently different from when you are tossing a spinner because of the whole drag vs. no drag thing.

From here, there are many more chapters, refining leader making, rod length and action choices, micro-drag, dry fly fishing, true wet fly fishing and streamer fishing, Euro/tight-line drifting, not to mention a million other variables. This is why trout fishing is so addicting. The more you learn, the more questions you have.

jifigz wrote:

Of course it is. I know my beer and various alcohol quite well. But Genny Cream Ale has held a special place in my heart for a long time. It isn't great but for the money it can't be beat.

Blasphemer.

hooker-of-men wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Blasphemer.

Whoa buddy! I love it dearly, but it certainly isn't top notch beer. I've given the Genny brewery thousands of dollars I'm sure..if I want regular old "beer" I buy Genny Cream. Better tasting and more satisfying than other large macro brews and not owned by one of the large beer conglomerates. I know, I know, they aren't totally independent, but they aren't part of the BMC empires.

Admittedly these days I drink more wine than beer, however.

Ha. Just messing with you, of course.

I don't even want to fathom how much stock I should own in High Falls Brewing. Cream Ale has been my go-to for a frighteningly long time.

I don't really dabble in wine, but I try to keep up with all the beer trends. I've been a big fan of the shift away from IPAs to sours and odd hops. Still, 95% of the time I want to drink my beer by the dozen and I want it to taste like Genny.

Getting back on topic here - FF definitely is not for everyone.
I've taken quite a few people out to try it.
And though the majority of them thought it was fun, and definitely wanted to keep at it - a few others thought that it made fishing too much like work. And felt no need to try it again.

Back