Considering fly rod buliding

Who sells tiny pieces and doesn't rape you on shipping? IE, I want a tip top, but I don't feel like spending $6 to ship a $2 item that weighs nearly nothing.

It's better to pick this stuff up yourself, in person.

I like ordering "premium" kits; they usually come with better components, reel seat, and handle. The Cabela's primium kits are like $15 more than the standard kit. No brainer.

Places also offer guide kits that have everything, including multiple tip tops and a couple extra guides.

Heck, places even offer reel seat and handle kits.

If only I had one of these mythical "places" you speak of.

If you plan to build more than one rod it's a good idea to get a tip top guide or use a micrometer to measure what size top you need. I like the guide that mudhole sells because it tells you exactly what tip top size you need without figuring out fractions. That way there is no back and forth about what to order and you get all the components in one shipment and not have to do that $6 shipping for a $2 piece (been there).

Cabelas

You can't beat this. Has everything you need and isn't over priced like som motorize wrappers or high-end wrappers.

Besides I like turning the rod by hand; you can feel the tension better and see the wraps better. Allowing for you to make adjustments as you go.

I know people are going to say that they can build one a lot cheaper and that is true.

However, I can tie tiny flies and I can catch/throw a ball, but I'm not handy.

And, I bought the $40 version with just the wrapping machine. then I pieced together taper files and bought a drying/wrapping motor for $25 discounted and it's not the right height to finish the rod (remember, not handy).
Heck, if I get Cabela's gift cards this year I might by the entire kit.

Gfen,

Does the wrapping jig in the kit that you got basically consist of a flat board, two upright pieces of wood cut into 'V' shapes lined with felt, some dowels, and a tread tensioner?

MKern wrote:
Cabelas

You can't beat this. Has everything you need and isn't over priced like som motorize wrappers or high-end wrappers.

Besides I like turning the rod by hand; you can feel the tension better and see the wraps better. Allowing for you to make adjustments as you go.

Grossly over priced, IMO. I could build one of these for 1/10th the price, if not less....

The more I look at it, I would buy the $40 rod wrapping machine and the $75 motor and chuck.
Sure you would have to piece together things like the tip-top sizer (which I don't use, I just find one that fits), furrule cement, and reamers, but fussing with fabricating a chuck (like I did) is a pain and when a rod slides out over night while drying it's not a good morning the next day.

Absolutely agree it can be a lot faster and depending how much time you have on your hands, cheaper to buy a jig. My only thought is that the first couple rods that you build you can get by with quick DIY solutions.

But if you're going to continue to build, purpose built tools make life a bit easier.

wsender wrote:
Does the wrapping jig in the kit that you got basically consist of a flat board, two upright pieces of wood cut into 'V' shapes lined with felt, some dowels, and a tread tensioner?

My wrapping jig consists of a cardboard box from the apple orchard because I'm lazy and never tapped the guy I know who does this stuff to do that stuff by suggesting I'll make a donation to TU in his name.

My Cabelers kit is materials only, no fancy jigs.

If you had to take some kind of guess, what would you say the speed of rotation of the drying motor is?

How fast do you think I can spin my hand? Did you catch the part about "materials only?" ;-)

Gfen,
Handy tool for tips and ferrules:
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Rod-Building-Supplies/Fuji-Tip-Top-Ferrule-Gauge

Got quite a few building supplies from them. Good place with good customer service.

wsender wrote:
If you had to take some kind of guess, what would you say the speed of rotation of the drying motor is?

I think the drying motor on mine is 9 rpm. I built one with a bobbin, one with a homemade jig, then got my power rod wrapper. It's an American Tackle Company model, and I think it cost like 200 bucks. If you plan on building more than two, don't kid yourself, buy the wrapper. It cuts your time wrapping to about a tenth, and gives you the option of turning your own cork and drying your finish smoothly. If you'd like to spend time that you could be fishing and tying flies wrapping guides, have at it. No thanks for me.

Boyer

gfen wrote:

How fast do you think I can spin my hand? Did you catch the part about "materials only?" ;-)

Got it all, just thought maybe others in the thread had the motor, which is seems they do!

Did any of you guys think of making a wood rod?

Mike

What, like greenheart....why?!?

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/buildjig.

This is what i built, add a $5 9rpm motor from ebay and the whole thing cost me about 20 bucks.

thetonyage wrote:
http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/buildjig.
Proper link: http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/buildjig.html

Jdaddy, $25 donation to TU plus materials cost.

Back