What Are You Tying Today?

What weight fly line/rod allows you to cast 1/32 oz or so crappie jigs effectively? I’m debating on new outfit and curious.
A 1/32 oz crappie jig could easily be cast and fished from a 4 weight to an 8 weight comfortably. I have no idea what those jigs I tied weigh. They have a brass slotted bead on a jig hook..

A buddy out in Utah has been dabbling the last couple years and is starting to get more into fishing. The past week, I've been putting together a dry/dropper box to drop in the mail and surprise him.

He's an Upstate NY transplant, so I'm going to duct tape it to a can of Cream Ale to ship.

View attachment 1641236990
I had to go Utica Club instead. My local was out of Genny Cream pounders. It's a bummer, but both are historically significant for my friend group.

Beginner bugger
Definitely have the foundations down! Good work!

Are you open to feedback? If so, one thing to think about is that, to my mind at least, what makes a bugger so effective is movement on the tail and body. A nice thick Marabou tail and hackle wraps around the body are key for this, so definitely focus on those as next steps. The Marabou will come easy, but palmering hackle will take a little practice. It will be worth it for this fly pattern and many others to come.

Tim Flagler / Tightline Productions has a very helpful video - I think labeled as "improved bugger" - that demonstrates wrapping saddle hackle backwards and counter wrapping wire forward to secure the hackle. It's an invaluable method.

If you'd prefer not to get feedback, which I totally understand, feel encouraged to tell me to get bent.

Back