Commonly seeing anglers on stocked trout waters now

Bamboozle wrote:
laszlo wrote:
I legally fished a ATW Sun Mar. 22 in York Co. hoping to find some fish. It was obviously not stocked yet but I ended up landing a brookie oddly small to be a holdover.

How do you LEGALLY fish an ATW (now referred to as STW) on March 22nd when the season is closed?

There are some ATWs (STWs) that are open to fish in York and surrounding counties. Some of them are open precisely because they aren't stocked int he preseason.

Dave_W wrote:
There are some ATWs (STWs) that are open to fish in York and surrounding counties. Some of them are open precisely because they aren't stocked int he preseason.

If it was in York Co., it had to be here:

YORK
South Branch Codorus Creek – from SR 0616 in Centerville downstream to T-527

There is a separate listing for "Stocked Trout Waters Open to Year Round Fishing". Typically, just a handful of streams in each region. That's the only one for York Co.

The PFBC should just open the season now!

People are fishing STW all over the place right now and if you want to know why, try calling a Regional Law Enforcement Office to report it like I did to when I saw some A-holes fishing this afternoon.

I'm usually on their side but the PFBC blew this one big time!!

They should have never stocked or should have put the fish in and said the season was open NOW and got it over with before things get really bad pandemic-wise like they will in a week or two when the season opens.

https://www.facebook.com/100040608424276/posts/215587126471567/.
I Wonder how much this happens on a regular year.

You wonder how much “what” happens in a regular year? I don’t participate in Facebook for obvious reasons.

Bunch of guys being outraged by the white truck dropping fish from a bridge. Oh the horror. Complaining how much a license cost and how their "tax dollars" are going to waste. Not being allowed to help stock. Other first world problems.

I think he was referring to people disregarding fishing regulations and trout fishing before the season starts.

What as in how many People follow the stocking trucks and complain about how the fish are being stocked. Do you also say “ I don’t have one of those smart phones either.. I don’t do that”

In other parts of the country fingerling trout are stocked by being dropped from aircraft. It works. In Pa dropping adult trout from bridges was discontinued in the 1970’s because of public perceptions, not because it was ineffective or caused mortalities.

These are different times and with required limited help I think it is wise to return to dropping fish from typical rural and suburban bridges that are generally 15-25 ft over the water, provided the water beneath is deep enough. It certainly speeds up the stocking process so that more time can be devoted by limited personnel to areas where bucket stocking is required. It also provides physical relief from the task of manually opening hauling many buckets.

Swattie87 wrote:
afishinado wrote:
I believe, unintended as it may be by the FBC, because of the change in stocking policy, now stocking the entire season's allocation of trout at once and in a fewer places, plus not allowing help from volunteers to disperse the fish, 8am on April 18th will be a mega event with anglers fishing shoulder to get their share of fish dumped in at the bridge hole.

Agree. All the more reason to open it now IMO, not disclose the dates, and spread the crowds out. My personal opinion is we will only be in worse shape, virus wise, in mid-April than we are now. Looking at the trends, charts, and projections from other countries, that will likely be our peak period.

Probably a prudent thing to do as the masses do somewhat self police. and a supplement to food budgets wold help out now.

In the past there have often been volunteers, enthusiasts, and critics following stocking trucks. The first week plus a day or so of stockings were conducted in the normal way this year with help provided by sportsmen. After that only present employees were allowed to help.

Correct, I do not have a smart phone or cell phone. Never “needed” either one in my life, even before they were invented.

I usually help with a stocking in Potter County each year. It's part of the tradition of the camp I belong to. I look forward to it each year...Kind of signals the end of Winter to me, at least mentally. It's usually the first week of April, and it's everyone's first trip up to camp since the previous Fall, and we typically do some camp chores and Spring maintenance sort of stuff too. I'll miss it this year.

To answer your question Jessed...Most years there's about a dozen folks actually helping out, carrying buckets...8 or 10 guys comprised from our camp and a couple of the neighboring ones, and then a couple of the local sporting/outdoors business owners. Then there's a dozen or more vehicles that follow the truck along, but whose occupants never get out, nonetheless graciously offer to film us like these guys did! I guess they're just stocking fans...Maybe they're taking bets on which one of us slips hustling a bucket down to the creek and dumps their load of fish? One year we had a heck of a wrastlin' match with a prize Rainbow that didn't want to stay in its bucket. Or, maybe, just maybe, they just need to know which holes are the honey holes for the season...In any case, they don't get out of their vehicles, so I can't report for certain whether they're complaining that we're not stocking them right. (I was taught to give them a light toss from just below waist height. You want them to hit the water and be "shocked" a little. The ones that are tossed in this way do orient noses upstream much faster versus ones that are just gently poured in.)

Anyway, there wasn't supposed to be anybody tagging along with the stockings this year, so I'm surprised the PFBC folks tolerated that. Those fish were fine being dumped in from that height into the deep pool depicted. Fish swimming on their side or upside down is more indicative of the fish struggling due to low oxygenation from the truck ride. All the more reason to get them in fast. A couple times (typically warmer days) the PFBC guys on our stockings would put a stop to things and order all the fish dumped at once if they noticed they were struggling in the tanks. One year we unsuccessfully took turns holding a breeder Brookie upright in the current in 40 deg water to try to revive it. It happens.

I've only seen 1 family fishing a STW so far this year. What frustrates me is that in the last maybe 2 years, I've seen about a dozen violations of various types. Almost always on a Saturday or Sunday when most people are out. Every single time I've tried calling on the weekend, I get an answering machine.

This past Saturday I had my boat out on Shawnee and some moron came ripping up the lake w/ a 10hp gas motor (Shawnee is electric only). I tried calling the DCNR park office which was closed, and then tried calling the PAF&BC and of course, no answer.

I called last year about 2 guys poaching in the kids section of a stream of all places, and was told that they don't even have a WCO in my area, so there's really nothing they could do!

Of all times to man the phones or at least relay to any WCO who is actually on duty, it would seem the weekends are the time to do that. I've gotten the impression that we really don't have enough, or hardly any WCO's in this state. That's going to lead to more and more violations. People know when they rarely if ever see a WCO in the wild that there is a very slim chance they're going to get fined for violating the laws. I fish on average 2 days a week and sometimes up to 4 or even 5 and it's been years (a lot of years) since I've even seen a WCO anywhere.

I have repeatedly seen people fishing below the end of a special regs area. I honestly don't even care anymore. I have politely talked to people in the past and always received and angry reaction. Calling the Fish comm or Game comm is a joke. You will often be treated as if YOU are the one in violation. I agree that they should just stock the fish and let people fish, especially this year.
It is obvious that beside being unorganized and poorly staffed the Fish Comm has a major public relations problem. Just reading through the comments on this site makes that clear.

I think that they should open the season but stock later. Get all the rift rafts out of the way.

That Facebook thread is an absolute mess. Good grief there are some whacked out priorities showing up in that thread over a bunch of pellet heads.

Just got this email

Urban Dictionary’s New word COVIDIOTS
Comprehensive list of symptoms for COVIDIOTS

* Extraordinary sense of self importance
* Generally low I.Q
* Naturally attracted to toilet paper
* Predominant diet of pasta
* Has no idea of personal space
* Thinks rules don't apply to them

Treatment: No effective anti-idiot drug currently tested!

Plenty of people here in SE PA that I see harvesting fish out there... Even posting them on the internet.

So much for the influx of quantity and quality this year

Back