2024 Carpin’ Thread

I think I caught the same Mirror carp that I caught less than a month earlier yesterday morning. I’m pretty sure I never did that before. It was caught at the same spot and was identical in length, but I only have photos of the opposite sides of the fish so I really can’t be sure. I caught it on a silt sifter fly which was a different pattern then a month ago. I’m done carpin’ now until I get back from my AK trip. I wiped all the carp slime off of my Cabelas 3 Forks 9’ 8wt and it is packed away ready to fight some Pacific salmon! Good luck, carpers, August is a great month for carpin’!

A couple of bycatches while chasing carp this weekend. I absolutely love those Green Sunnies. Very aggressive with a voracious appetite. When a fish that’s 5 inches long can put a bend in your 8 weight they got something happening.

IMG_0367.jpeg
IMG_0370.jpeg

How about the LMB? I don't target them much, but I used to a lot in my younger days. Since I've been on the lakes a lot lately, I've been catching them. Granted, I haven't caught any hogs, but they fought like CRAP compared to so many other fish in the sunfish family.

And obviously carp! The mop fly is . . . What it is! Good stuff, I never tear down any fly or technique. Let er rip!!!

Anybody doing any carpin’? It’s been almost a month since I’ve been after them, so I went out this morning at daybreak because it’s just been too long. I only managed to get one to eat this morning, a decent Mirror carp that ate a fuzzy damsel type of nymph that I tied up last evening. I downsized a bit on this nymph but was mainly focused on using materials that were going to give the bug lots of movement. My carpin’ season is winding down. There is still plenty of time to get into actively feeding carp but once bowhunting season starts I pretty much pack up the carp stuff for the year. Good luck if you’re still chasing them!

IMG_0628.jpeg
IMG_0620.jpeg
IMG_0631.jpeg

Back