Cold feet problem SOLVED!

My winter fishing experience is limited. But, I find this the best way to go outdoors in frigid weather:

Against all of your skin, wear wicking materials. If you can spring for Underarmour, go right ahead, but nylon and polyester both resist absorbing or retaining moisture, the bane of staying warm. Wool on the other hand, does retain moisture, it just continues to insulate despite that. Polypropelene is probably best against the skin, but as noted, polyester and nylon are good second choices.

I bought two par of polypropelene long underwear from army-navy. They are thick, but "puffy," and I wear them as my first layer. On my feet I wear thin black polyester socks, topped with a thick 100% wool sock, also from army-navy. Since the top of the poly long underwear can zip to my chin, my body is totally protected and able to sweat without discomfort against my skin.

From the socks up I use a variety of materials, including occasional cotton, but not directly over the poly. Against the poly, I would recommend either wool or acrylic and other synthetics. I layer intelligently so that peeling off layers if it warms, can be done while maintaining overall comfort and warmth. Finally, except for my gear vest, I usually have a wind-break light jacket as my outermost layer, either my breathable raincoat or a run of the mill windbreaker. If not breatable, I use the front zipper to regulate wind protection versus evaporation of my perspiration.

Adding:

While proper dress is important but so is heat generation, and general circulation. Try not to restrict the extremities-- as for instance the good advice to be careful of heavily layered feet and the use of bootfoot waders during winter. If special waders for winter is not in the budget, then tie your wading boots loosely.

JackM wrote:
My winter fishing experience is limited. But, I find this the best way to go outdoors in frigid weather:

Against all of your skin, wear wicking materials. If you can spring for Underarmour, go right ahead, but nylon and polyester both resist absorbing or retaining moisture, the bane of staying warm. Wool on the other hand, does retain moisture, it just continues to insulate despite that. Polypropelene is probably best against the skin, but as noted, polyester and nylon are good second choices.

I bought two par of polypropelene long underwear from army-navy. They are thick, but "puffy," and I wear them as my first layer. On my feet I wear thin black polyester socks, topped with a thick 100% wool sock, also from army-navy. Since the top of the poly long underwear can zip to my chin, my body is totally protected and able to sweat without discomfort against my skin.

From the socks up I use a variety of materials, including occasional cotton, but not directly over the poly. Against the poly, I would recommend either wool or acrylic and other synthetics. I layer intelligently so that peeling off layers if it warms, can be done while maintaining overall comfort and warmth. Finally, except for my gear vest, I usually have a wind-break light jacket as my outermost layer, either my breathable raincoat or a run of the mill windbreaker. If not breatable, I use the front zipper to regulate wind protection versus evaporation of my perspiration.

Adding:

While proper dress is important but so is heat generation, and general circulation. Try not to restrict the extremities-- as for instance the good advice to be careful of heavily layered feet and the use of bootfoot waders during winter. If special waders for winter is not in the budget, then tie your wading boots loosely.

Being kind of a foot expert and hating to state this on principle alone....I think the counselor said it pretty well here. The last paragraph being the important part most leave off.

Find a pair or boots a full size larger than what you normally use with your waders in warm weather (on clearance for next to nothing from who cares what company....) and use those in Winter in combo with appropriate layering.

I wear a pair of Redington fleece pants under my Simms stocking foot waist highs and a pair of Smartwool socks. Seems to work well for me during the winter.

My problem is how do you carry the chain saw on your vest? I usually fish up-till the water is frozen solid. temps not a problem on the body but on the ice on the stream. have fished for steel at the mouths of the creeks through the ice. what a blast on one of those ultralight short ice fishing rod/reel combos.

I've fished in Maine on more than one occasion during the winter, and I took my queue from those guys. One pair of breathable waders, one pair of socks, one pair of fishing pants, one pair of long johns top and bottom. Layer the shirts.
I't kept me warm all these years.

I'd add a wool shirt to the layering. GG

When it gets really cold just go visit GG.

Love the army polypros. Can't wear the pants though because they are just to darn hot. I travel light as far as gear goes so I have plenty of room in my shoulder bag for a thermos of coffee or soup.

Sweatpants over jeans is a philly thing. Not for me but not unusual.

I strongly recommend biting the bullet and buying Patagonias Capiline mid to heavy under Remington fleece pants. Capiline is to underware what graphite was to rods. I take the winter off. Someone wiser than we re said to everything there is a season.

Cold feet problem? Hotronic.

Plus one to the polypro underwear and wool socks. I bought them from Landsend a couple of decades ago and still wear them today. Under the wool socks, I wear thinsulate socks. I think they are polypro as well. For my core, on top of the lands end I will wear a Patagonia vest, a fleece pull over, and a breathable rain shell. My biggest issue is keeping my fingers warm.

For cold hands try a Zippo hand warmer. Works great.

or jon-e hand warmer.
I was 30 before my parents explained the name.[14 anyway]

And I thought that cold feet was just natures way of telling you, you've been standing in the same spot to long.

Another way to solve it - is not to go fishing during the winter time.

Not fishing at all is not an option.

Well I have all those items listed and my feet still get cold. Maybe I should put some waders on as well.

i wear silk thermals under jeans and an Under Armour top. fleece lined fishing shirt goes over the top of that, then my Columbia ski jacket. gloves are neoprene detachable thumb and forefinger.

one pair of smart wool socks in the stocking foot wader does for me.

add a hat to cover my ears and i am good to 33F - which is my limit.

btw - i've found the palisades below the island fishes better over 300CFS, below that there is not enough cover from the Heron i think. the riffles look real pretty but they're empty though.

at 400CFS i've seen em rising to hatches on the far side, when the current is a torrent down at the Bridge.

I'll echo WildTigerTrout on the Smartwool socks, and JohnPowers on the Patagonia Capilene. Capilene is the best baselayer I've ever tried, with Terramar a close 2nd. I have noticed that the Terramar doesn't seem to wick perspiration as well as my Capilene does though. I like the Under Armor "heatgear", but wasn't impressed with their "coldgear". Capilene can be pricey, but I scavenge ski shops in summer when winter gear is discounted.

I wear a long underwear bottom and top, waders (no pants), two lightweight jackets (both Patagonia, one is fleece and one is packable in case I need to strip off a layer), a neck gaiter or whatever it's called, and a knit or ballcap. I throw a light raincoat in the truck in case of rain or snow, and fingerless wool gloves if it's especially cold.

For cold weather gear I prefer Spyder's products.

On the advice of a forum member here in one of his posts - I believe it was Chaz - I picked up a pair of thick alpaca socks. And I think that they are a little more comfortable and warm than the merino wool socks that I had been using.

Back