Cold feet problem SOLVED!

Opie610

Opie610

For years I have been suffering through winter fly fishing with cold feet. This year was the breaking point. I finally put the Simms stocking foot waders away until spring and invested in a pair of Orvis endura breathable boot foot waders. I bought them 1 size larger and wear 2 pair of smart wool socks. I've been fishing at least twice a week usually 8 to 9 hrs a day. No cold feet. I just wish I did it sooner.

Opie

breathable boot foot waders. I bought them 1 size larger and wear 2 pair of smart wool socks
Yep, same here !! I also add a pair of sweat pants over my jeans.

Also layer up top, including 1) a thin "skull cap" that I bought in a bicycle store- it's used under bicycle helmets when it's cold and works great under my fishing hat 2) a thin pair of winter cycling gloves and 3) a hooded outer jacket. Between the waders, the skull cap and hoodie - the cold stays out.

And if it turns into a sunny warmer afternoon, then off come the cap & gloves & down comes the hood - no problems ..... except the matter of catching winter fish - LoL !

+1 this is what I do for duck season (aka cold weather wading). Lots of wool, lots of layers. Keep your core warm and your body won't suck the blood into the torso to protect itself.

don't be tempted to use cotton socks or tea shirts.They trap the body moisture-wool wicks it away.

You mean to tell me you fish 8-9 hours a day twice a week. I want your life.

Question is why would you fish for 9 hours a day during the winter? That would pretty much mean you fish from sunrise to sunset. I call bs lol

You want enough layers to add some insulation and trap the warm air, but don't fall prey to trying to cram one more layer in, especially socks. If your layers are too tight, you'll restrict circulation and end up colder.

Cotton kills; it's relegated to work pants for me, as there's little danger from the elements in a desk job. Polyester, wool, and down garments are what you want for outdoor meandering.

What are you talking about? Sun up is about 7am, sundown 6pm. Maybe he's retired, or a guide, or just loves to fish? Not sure the quick call to call "BS"....

I don't even wear stocking foot waders anymore . Its so much easier to slip on a pare of boot foots than wasting all that time trying to squeeze the stockings into my wading boots

BS in winter. It's pitch black by 5:10 on the water and light at 7. 10
Hours of light, nobody is doing that twice a week during the winter.

Well allan_s you are wrong. Friday 6:45 to 3:00 ish, I believe equals 8. When i posted i didn't think i needed to add the times up. I guess i didn't think anyone would be anal enough to micro analyze. I posted to try yo help others with same problem.And Saturday I fished the same times. Both days on the Tulley. I am neither a guide or retired. I had some vacation left and love to fish in the winter. Actually it's my favorite time. If it would please you i could ask the PFBC to install a time clock so i could verify my time spent there. Allan maybe you should get out on the stream more and spend less time falsely accusing people of B.S.

I posted both of those from the stream actually lol

I just pointed out the exaggeration, not trying to get you up in arms.

I doubt it. The first was posted at 9:05pm.
Well as i explained it was not an exaggeration.

Never having fished the Tully for more than perhaps 4 hours at a shot in winter, and then only with lures or minnows, I'm more interested in how you did. Aside from any recently stocked fingerlings that you may have caught, how many adult fish by species were you able to catch during that time period?

And to stick with the cold feet theme, I have never shifted away from boot foot waders for work or fishing. As mentioned earlier, the number 1 no-no is putting on too many socks such that the boots become tight. Also, if you keep your body extra warm, including the legs, the feet stay warmer. I often use a wicking sock liner to take moisture away as well.

Sweatpants over jeans? That's an odd combination that seems restrictive and not all that effective. Sweatpants over a good pair of long johns or fleece pants over long johns a much better combination IMO.

To each his own though.

Did one week. You don't do it every week. Also, I was night fishing last night and got bored and checked the forum. Maybe I should put a clock in and out time for me on the stream.

agree about the winter fishing being some of the best…loved it in Montana when we got chinooks…water would be low,gin clear,easy wading[wade across the yellowstone or missouri]streams to yourself and best of all…if you were looking for size,the bigger fish tend to be more active.Being cold blooded the larger body density retained heat better.
However it was my experience from about 11 to 3 was prime time.Unless it got too warm and snow melt would shut it down…
Even though I was a streamer fisherman usually did better with nymphs in midwinter unless fishing above lakes where you were targeting post spawners heading back down stream…then something like perch streamers would be deadly.Don't know if that's the case in this area but if any place like that worth checking out.
Boot foot waders much better for cold weather..

Mike, Friday i fished the water works down to below the Palisades. I did get a few fingerlings but not as many as you would think. I caught
1 beautiful Rainbow and 2 smaller rainbows at the water works. As usual the palisades area never produces for me.

Saturday i fished the Reber's bridge area down to the Refrigerator hole and didn't land a fish until 2:00. I did miss a few and lost what felt like a good fish on a streamer. Both days i pretty much used midges and streamers.

Allan, yes it was one week. As i said i had a Vac day on Fri. I just got the new waders so i thought i would let others know. However i usually do fish at least one FULL day on a weekend but if i have a day off it's 2 or more days . Hell last Saturday i fished all day in the rain. Touche' on the time clock.

McSneek wrote:
Sweatpants over jeans? That's an odd combination that seems restrictive and not all that effective. Sweatpants over a good pair of long johns or fleece pants over long johns a much better combination IMO.

To each his own though.
bingo----we have a winner and same with the special wader wicking socks.

Back