Closed Trout Season in PA

Do you think there should be a closed season in PA?

• Total voters
I don't think closing streams in the fall would cause an increase in wild trout populations.

But, ending stocking over wild trout, particularly over native brook trout, would cause an increase in wild trout populations.

Last edited:
On Class A streams, yes, I'd be fine with that.
I'm saying this because there's a choice with the poll, I'm not saying there's a serious issue with spawning trout being fished over, just given a choice I'd be fine with a closed season of some sort.

With all the hand-wringing regarding fishing spawners - just close the streams. Done.
Mostly hang-wringing on here. It seems like Ross Purnell along with the fine folks at Airflo, who we thank for this corporate sponsorship, are certainly pushing for more winter fishing. A whole two page spread in the latest FF magazine. Maybe because the new owners of Simms want to be the next North Face? I like my winter solitude and don't fish over spawning fish, and I think that is probably the tack to take. Educate about redds but also know your crick if you are going to fish it in the winter. I personally target larger fish in larger creeks post spawn and love not seeing cars in the lots! Plus, I get to fish with a guide buddy or two in their off season (for now). I agree with troutbert (and Fish Sticks) too!

No vote, this is silly. Brookies aint coming back fellas and stocking rainbows over wild browns doesnt make a doggone bit of difference to wild browns. It really doesnt!

That should stir the pot.

All the stream surveys are showing booming populations. If it was different sure but Brown Trout are by far the most resilient cold water fish out there. Also most people don't know much about the biology of trout.
Brown Trout spawn MUCH later than people think when especially when I see dates like October 1st. Most streams are still in Summer temperatures and isn't even close to spawning season let alone time to fish between 65 and 45 degree season.

Brown Trout spawn when the water hits about 40 degrees so really more a Winter Thing. (Rainbows are 41 degrees in the spring)

RESEARCH Brown Trout and Spawning

Brook Trout go way up the stream to spawn close to the head waters.

I think most people make statements based on hear say and not any actually data or evidence.

Brook trout can start spawning in mid to late September.
So you’re advocating closing trout fishing in the whole state on, say, Labor Day then?
Brook Trout Spawn around 40 degrees. I have never seen them spawn in September. Sure their colors are changing but that is far from them spawning. What kills Brook Trout and ruin spawns is temperature and water flows and the introduction of rainbow and then Brown Trout. Us stepping on eggs from November till March makes almost no difference.

WV and Virginia Brook Trout Study

Brook Trout Spawn around 40 degrees. I have never seen them spawn in September. Sure their colors are changing but that is far from them spawning. What kills Brook Trout and ruin spawns is temperature and water flows and the introduction of rainbow and then Brown Trout. Us stepping on eggs from November till March makes almost no difference.

WV and Virginia Brook Trout Study
I've never seen them spawn in sept then either.
From info I've read however, they can start that early.

Like I said before, I quit fishing for them beginning of october

With the thought of protecting spawning trout.

Yes, so that Spring Creek (among others) can have even more tiny trout in it.

If that's possible.

Sarcasm aside, if you can identify a stream where angler use is impacting spawning success, then we can have a real discussion.

In the meantime, if you want more wild trout you can..... Improve year-round trout holding structure, work on reducing siltation, improve riparian zones, and reduce direct storm run-off amongst other actions.

Possibly if the intent is to protect brookies. If the goal is to allow browns to spread further no. Guarding a non native species that actively out competes a native species seems foolish to me.

I voted no, even though I don't fish over spawners.

I quit fishing brookie streams in october.
And streams with wild browns, I avoid by November.

But what about all of the water that doesn't support wild trout.
Doesn't make sense to close them down.
Especially the ones that just started to be stocked again this month
Dear dryfly,

I'm with you. And I'll be honest, I'm also with Bamboozle and his explanation of where things could go with closures for spawning. He went beyond trout to make his point, but I'm fine with that.

I think it should be a personal preference, and I also think that fisherfolks need to be mindful of the timing of their trips, and the implications of fishing during the spawning season for any fish.

If you have fished long enough, you have probably caught a fish or two that was actively spawning. You know it when you do. It's what you do afterwards that matters.

Sporting ethics used to be pretty clear, but lines have been blurred over time. I always revert to what I was taught when I much younger and stop when it seems I could be doing harm.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

It’s not this crowd I’d be worried about fishing over spawners, it’s the Zebco 33 bait chucker crowd. That why I think the streams should be closed, at least on a selected stream basis to protect the brookies.

It’s not this crowd I’d be worried about fishing over spawners, it’s the Zebco 33 bait chucker crowd. That why I think the streams should be closed, at least on a selected stream basis to protect the brookies.

I don't know where everyone else fishes, but the number of people I see that fit this description who are fishing after May or maybe June on wild trout streams is almost zero. Again, if there is a stream where this is a problem, discuss that waterway. Blanket general regs changes are not the solution when the problem is the exception, not the rule.

Do you know who I have seen targeting migrating, spawning fish outside of the Erie tribs?

Fly fisherman.

My concern is not really about people walking through redds. I was thinking about removing larger fish that are vulnerable at this time of year. Mainly big browns in my experience. There are sections of stream that have the right conditions for spawning and people know about these spots. They will deliberately go there in the fall and target the bigger fish. I have seen it done mainly with spinning rods.

I'm on the no side.

Sure, I don't like the idea of fishing over spawning trout and think most sportsmen should avoid it. Buttttt. There are streams stocked in the fall, which is probably what MOST trout fisherman are doing. There's steelhead. There's fingerling stocked streams where wild trout are non-existant or at least not the main show. There are just other trout fishing opportunities during the spawn.

I could say, well, lets just close wild trout streams. But regs should be as simple as possible, and that just opens it up to confusion and a debate over what is a wild trout stream. Is a fall stocked stream that has a wild trout now and then a wild trout stream? Or just class A's, which are managed for wild trout. And if you're only including class A's, you're limiting it to streams which really don't have a problem! It's the "has a few fish but not class A" streams that need protection.

We should leave well enough alone.

Curious what they do out west?? Are there closed seasons? I know they’ll close in times of heat and drought.

I've been fortunate enough to be involved in discussions about this in another state on a world-renowned brook trout fishery. The preliminary research seems to indicate that angler use (angling or potential redd trampling) isn't having an impact on spawning. The brook trout population has exploded in the past decade, and the only thing that seems to have changed is that much of the wild rainbow population has collapsed (for unknown reasons). The brook trout are using a specific part of the river that is open to fishing year-round, which doesn't appear to have had an impact. The state is still considering closing certain stream sections in the fall to protect the brook trout.

Sticking with science, as it relates to brook trout anyway, we know the biggest threats are land management, water temperatures, sedimentation, and nonnative fish. If some management action were to be implemented to help protect brook trout, I would think the cessation of stocking nonnative trout over top wild brook trout would be the most effective.

Curious what they do out west?? Are there closed seasons? I know they’ll close in times of heat and drought
Almost 30 years ago when I lived in Idaho..I believe streams closed from Dec.1st to March 31st for trout. All lakes and large rivers remained open. With that said, you could still fish for Whitefish and such in trout waters. You could even use certain kinds of bait that you couldn;t use when trout "season" was open. But out there its all about the special regs. Basically the State is divided up into regions and ech region has its own set of seasons and rules to some degree. For the most part fishing is open all year EXCEPT...then you have to read all the exceptions. There are a few remote sections of stream that are closed form say June 15 to July 1st because for salmon spawning. And I do remember some "wild" trout streams that had bag limits of 2 when the normal limit was either 4 or 6 ( i don't remember). But there was SO much good water and you could always find somewhere to fish regardless of the date.

My concern is not really about people walking through redds. I was thinking about removing larger fish that are vulnerable at this time of year. Mainly big browns in my experience. There are sections of stream that have the right conditions for spawning and people know about these spots. They will deliberately go there in the fall and target the bigger fish. I have seen it done mainly with spinning rods.
Good luck with catching spawning trout (sarcasm intended). Try it sometime if you want to prove my point. They are not like bass that will remove an intrudier, including a lure, from the nest. Nor are they like crappie or bluegill that are exceptionally vulnerable during spawning.

Just as one additional comment….Do the same people here who object to fishing over spawning trout also object to fishing and harvesting the aforementioned panfish when spawning given that they are much more vulnerable and clearly documented to show the negative population effects of overharvest? Where pressure is high stunting occurs in the BG case when harvest of large males is high. This is common in Pa. Likewise, cropping of crappie down to a much smaller size than their potential would allow occurs in waters where crappie growth is not limited by forage, water temps, or limited dissolved oxygen in the thermocline or thermocline/epilimnion interface. Just wondering if anglers who object to fishing over spawning trout are consistent in their thinking, especially regarding much more vulnerable species at spawning time. If not, why not?

Last edited:
Now when do you propose the streams reopen? I'm all for protecting our wild/native trout during the spawn. I personally avoid fall fishing for PA wild/native trout.

I'm voting yes.
Close fall fishing they are spawning.
Close winter fishing, anchor ice, frozen gills and lack of food.
Close spring until the fatten back up from a harsh winter. (Unsporting while they gorge)
Close summer due to temps.

PA trout Season April 15 - May 1st.

Protect the Sea Kittens!

One day PETA and the anti fishing crowd are going to win. It's the very debates like this that will keep you divided and eventually conquered. You will make their talking points!
(Half Sarcasm)

Focus rather on ceasing stocking over wild fish and habitat to increase them.
The 1 percent fall trout fishing is such a minor drop in a huge sea of opportunities.

Back