classic wet flies

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Ever since I mentioned that I wanted to make a display of classic wet flies, a member here has been on me about tying a Parmachene Belle, so, here it is...didn't have an actual recipe on hand, so I just went by one in my Grandpa's fly box, and I'm sorry about the visible thread under the wing, I tied the body for wrapped hen hackles instead of a hackle fiber throat.

Attachments

• parmachenebelle.jpg
    parmachenebelle.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 15
It looks realy good, tie some for fishing brookie streams, brown trout like them also. That looks like the classic pattern to me. But the orvis pattern is simplified for fishing purposes, it has a couple slips of red on top of white, thats how I do it because I'm lazy. I always like looking at you postings. Keep on tying, but don't forget to go fishing some to.

buffalo7 wrote:
It looks realy good, tie some for fishing brookie streams, brown trout like them also. That looks like the classic pattern to me. But the orvis pattern is simplified for fishing purposes, it has a couple slips of red on top of white, thats how I do it because I'm lazy. I always like looking at you postings. Keep on tying, but don't forget to go fishing some to.

well, the weather hasn't exactly been conducive to to fishing up my way lately, so I need some way to pass my time...hopefully tomorrow. Anyway, I have had a box of classic wets riding in my vest for the last six years, but I don't fish them, as they were my grandfather's and were given to me when he passed away, and seeing as he was the person that really got me into the sport, I keep them on me as a way to remember him...

I see you've really run with this married feathers thing...

Well done, though. I really need to find some time, because they're always so very pretty.

Here's my progress so far...now it's off to my nearest panfish lake.

Attachments

• royalcoachman.jpg
    royalcoachman.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
  • alder.jpg
    alder.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3
  • alexandria.jpg
    alexandria.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 5
  • drburke.jpg
    drburke.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3
  • troutfin.jpg
    troutfin.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 5
a few more...

Attachments

• guineahen.jpg
    guineahen.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1
  • beauty.jpg
    beauty.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 4
  • catskill.jpg
    catskill.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2
  • bergmanfontanalis.jpg
    bergmanfontanalis.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 4
They all look nice, but as far as fishing, #1 Parmachine Belle, #2 Royal Coachman. I'd like to try the alder pattern, but for fishing purposes I would shorten and sweep the wing down. Don't take that as criticism, your doing it the proper way, I always modify or use my own patterns for fishing.

(what did you use for hackle on the alder, is the tag gold wire, did you rib it? )

buffalo7 wrote:
They all look nice, but as far as fishing, #1 Parmachine Belle, #2 Royal Coachman. I'd like to try the alder pattern, but for fishing purposes I would shorten and sweep the wing down. Don't take that as criticism, your doing it the proper way, I always modify or use my own patterns for fishing.

(what did you use for hackle on the alder, is the tag gold wire, did you rib it? )

the hackle is speckled hen, yes, the tag is gold wire, but it's supposed to be oval tinsel, and no, I did not rib it.

Nice collection; you might want to add the Professor. It is a lot easier to tie and still catches fish. I'm also partial to the Pickett Pin, a great big fish catcher, though it was origianally meant to be fished dry. Keep up the good work.

Van_Cleaver wrote:
Nice collection; you might want to add the Professor. It is a lot easier to tie and still catches fish. I'm also partial to the Pickett Pin, a great big fish catcher, though it was origianally meant to be fished dry. Keep up the good work.

The Professer is like a dressed down Parmachene, they are easier to tie and the Grizzly King is the same but different colors, they're good brookie flies. Picket Pins are a different class of fly, I always have them because there aren't many flies that use suirrel tail and I always have plenty of that. I fish them, I had a big brown trout nail one in Big Spring Creek years ago but I only stung him.

next batch...really need to get a better camera.

Attachments

• lordbaltimore.jpg
    lordbaltimore.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 4
  • bishop.jpg
    bishop.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3
  • professor.jpg
    professor.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2
  • undertaker.jpg
    undertaker.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2
  • grannom.jpg
    grannom.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 3
Your realy putting them out now, where's the Grizzly King. as far as the camera, I told you that a long time ago, when I said to try to max out those KBs. The only problem is I'm on dial up.

Whickham's Fancy and Butcher are my two favorites to tie/fish. Do a couple of those!

Back