Choosing a quality mid level reel

For a thousand years British and Americans made motorcycles with vertically assembled engine housing.Earl everywhere in the castle,then some guy in Asia said"Why not horizontally ?"
Suddenly you could meet the nicest people on a Honda.
{probably get hollered at for OT}

For a thousand years British and Americans made motorcycles with vertically assembled engine housing.Earl everywhere in the castle,then some guy in Asia said"Why not horizontally ?"
Suddenly you could meet the nicest people on a Honda.
{probably get hollered at for OT}
Actually the oil leaks had their logic & benefits as the bikes were rebuildable for years and years without any rust in the damp, wet & rainy UK weather.{probably also get hollered at for OT}

People that don't see the need for a quality reel will have to experience an equipment failure before they realize their are some things in fly-fishing not to go cheap on.

A few months ago my dads orvis battenkill seized on an 18" rainbow on the BeaverKill. I told him before about my hatch and he dismissed it pretty quick. The next day after losing that fish to the failed drag he bought a hatch and now claims it was one of his best purchases after landing several quality fish.

I understand where people are coming from when they say they can't afford good equipment. I was there too a few years ago, but my wife taught me how to budget my money better and to save for my fly-fishing gear. It really isn't hard to put 10 bucks back a week for something and then when you get it, it will most likely last a lifetime or two. It took me 26 weeks to save for my hatch but it was worth it. good reels go on clearance all the time for sometimes half the price. Just be patient and save and when the deal presents itself, jump on it.

I'm generally in the better gear camp for all the reasons stated - cheaper in the long run, less chance of failure, and better reels run smoother.

That said I also have a soft spot for old fiberglass rods and old blue collar reels. Maintain them and they will do OK, but the modern ones are better IMHO.

As for Medalists, they were the most popular reel in the USA for 50 years so they were doing something right and people caught a lot of huge fish with them. The number one flaw is that they are held together by screws that can loosen over time. I recommend putting Loctite on the screws of any Medalists. Some of the other parts, like the spring loaded detent on the spool can wear out over decades. However, there are plenty of Medalists out there chep so spare parts are rarely an issue.

JeffK wrote:
Some of the other parts, like the spring loaded detent on the spool can wear out over decades.

clean out the caked on grease and filth. you'd be surprised how much life comes back into an 73 year old reel.

Jeff, that's kind of my thought on the Medalists as well. Frankly, I love them. I try to clean them and maintain them to the best of my ability, and I just love how they fish. Same with my Heddon reels.

mcwillja wrote;

"good reels go on clearance all the time for sometimes half the price. Just be patient and save and when the deal presents itself, jump on it."

Another place to find great deal is on Ebay. Often I see "lightly used" and "new" reels for great prices. Some are in auctions but others are "Buy now" listed.

I bid on a very lightly used (looks brand new) Abel Creek 2 LA. This reel lists for $320 and I got it for $175. Another reel was "Buy now" a Lamson Litespeed 2, it lists for $299 and I got it for $165 shipping included.

Right on Wbranch. Those are some great buys right there

Back