Changes to USGS site

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
The USGS site has been updated. The old page can still be viewed but by the end of next year it will be phased out.

Here are some details about the new USGS page and its functions.

My understanding from the article is that the mobile phone version is much more user friendly.

You may agree or disagree.

Check it out.

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/pro-tips-how-to-use-the-new-usgs-streamflow-site?fbclid=IwAR1OLN9Dh_zs76SviD5PqNbBLJuNdxAY_ft-jVw0wkK7zbzfn2Lu1ZeEZmg

While it certainly looks nicer, I'm having a hard time finding the actual data including min, max and median. Hopefully they didn't invest in the UI at the expense of functionality and data. Also hope that the connection to RiverApp still works after they shut down the old site.

I'm also not seeing (which means I may be missing) how to view the information on a table instead of, or in addition to a graph.

That's useful if you wanted to know a specific reading for a specific time & date. Something I need for certain applications.

Watched that brief video, and I'm not impressed. I never use the USGS on my phone. I'm just going to enjoy the traditional USGS site while it lasts. It'll get me through next summer.

I find most often, change isn't good. This is just another example. I'll use the new site when I'm forced to. lol

I only use the Tobyhanna gage and for me, it is fine the way it is. I have all the information I need. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Maybe the new changes help other members who frequent more gages for their fly fishing trips.

There's a retrieve data field on each site page. Not sure if that's what you're looking for Bamboozle. Anyway I think the new site rocks. I've been using since it went live. Much more internety and intuitive, for me at least. Especially for more tricked out streams like the Beaverkill with webcams and temp.

discomidge wrote:
There's a retrieve data field on each site page. Not sure if that's what you're looking for Bamboozle.
As I expected, I missed that, thanks!

So, I guess NOW I officially like the new site. ;-)

Not sure - I didn't watch their presentation or read anything about the redesign, though maybe I should. "Retreive Data" is in the gray box just above the graph next to "change time span"

I sat in on a zoom presentation the USGS provided the other week about this update. I hope to do my own quick zoom preso on the topic for anglers. Most of the new stuff is good. Many extra layers can be seen like weather and such. But there a few items I'm trying to find. Hopefully I'll do the presentation early Janua.

Back