Catskill JAM 2012. Spring is just around the corner.

krayfish

krayfish

I've spoken with attendees of prior events and thought I'd fish for some opinions on dates for 2012.

I don't want to step on any toes by holding a get together during the same time as the 'original JAM' held on the limestoners but don't really think it would interfere. It actually would provide an additional option for guys that weren't going to make it to Coburn.

In 2010, we did a late September gathering but changed in to August in 2011. That time frame is fine but the fishing is slower and fewer areas are fishable due to warmer water temps. If the JAM was held closer to the spring, the hatches are much better and many more miles of water is available to fish.

If we did a get together in mid to late summer, conditions may be similar to last year (iso, ants, trico, some sulphurs and streamers). If the group went in mid June, there's less slime on the river and heavier / multiple hatches. If we moved it to mid May, you've hit the sweet spot. That's when you get to see all the river has to offer.

I'll be there for a week at the beginning of May as I have been doing for 25 years and have DaveS coming from Pittsburgh to join us. I guess that I'm asking for some feedback from participants or possible participants to see what the majority would like to do. May, June or late summer again??

I appreciate any feedback.

Andy

In for May, but does my vote really count? Lol

We're planning to go for a week in early to mid June. Maybe we can work with you on this!!!!!

Andy, if its not a major conflict with the JAM then I am good to go. I think most folks are of the same thinking. Additionally, I think it's a great idea to move this up to the Spring to give the D it's chance to show it's glory.

In.

Does this thing have to be over a weekend? We were looking at the week of Monday, June 11th to Friday the 15th. Goes without saying.....fewer fisherman.

Fewer members are going to be able to make it as well. If you just want him as your personal guide for a week, you should hire him.

We did just fine on our own last year. We'll just keep our schedule. You guys have a good time.

Naturally I am in. But for any newbies interested in learning about the D, but are hesitant, I'll give you some incentive. I have a two man boat and am offering my casting deck to anyone new to the fishery. I can not promise you will catch any fish, but if you do not have a good time, you must have issues. lol!

I've got vacation time in for the last week of april, and plan on being up there then - stream flows permitting.
I know the weather is very iffy at that time of year. But if conditions are favorable, the fishing is something else

Well, the current plan of attack is to head up 4/28 - 5/5. Bill, they are holding the 1 fly event on 4/27 & 4/28 so expect to see a bunch of boats everywhere.

I'll have to check with my new employer to make sure I can get off but I'd be fine with a JAM in June. 6/7 - 6/10. Prof, you and fade make it up a few days earlier? We'll probably completely miss the drakes but sulphurs, grey fox, cahills and caddis should be in full swing at that time.

Others please sound off. If you want to make the gathering the first week of May, I'm cool with that also. Need to get some things squared away for the raffle if we're going to do it early.

Thanks.

Andy -

Thanks for the tournament warning.
But if things go as planned, I'll be fishing it that whole week before that.
And I can stay through until the 30th, and should be able to hook up with you then.

Andy,

We could do that. Come up on June 7th and stay to whenever. Hope we can finalize this soon so we can book our house. Obviously, if you guys decide on other dates, that's fine. We just had a great time there last year in June. Flow was around 600 which seemed damn near perfect. Caught a load of fish right in front of our place. We can party at our house and may even be able to book a performance by the "Deposit Pickers". Not my kind of music but Fade and Webby loved them!!!!

John

Depending on the dates, I might be able to secure a guide to join us. I realize that there are many on the site that are know for being quite "tight" so to speak. Typical float trips in that area are $350-395 for two anglers. I'm not asking someone to spend money they don't have but nor am I looking for people to complain about prices. What I'm doing is working with a guide to get deeply discounted rates for JAM attendees. I'm talking 50% off. Basically, if you've thought of taking a float trip but were hesitant to spend the $$, this is your chance to give it a try for a lot less.. OR... if you've wanted to take a guided float but it wasn't in your budget, here's a chance to do it at half price. I'm trying to get a feel to see if anyone would have interest in floating with a guide in a 16' Clacka. Sound off gentleman!!

I'm in. What about the dates?

I mean, I would Kray. Especially if the water is not up to par. Then I could throw streamers. Can't do that in my toon.

Still firming up dates.

Shane, fishing while someone else keeps the boat in place... you'll never want to pontoon again. LOL. More casts, more effective casts and most likely.... more catching. Definately a winner for streamer fishing. You should know that. Hell, you had Dave row you down the D for 8 miles. You really should have offered to row him. :)

Lol yea you are right. I will be graduating that Wedensday, so possibly a guided float trip would be a nice little present.

SBecker wrote:
Lol yea you are right. I will be graduating that Wedensday, so possibly a guided float trip would be a nice little present.

Did I hear correctly that you're student teaching this semester? If so, you will have earned a fishing trip when you're finished. :)

Yea, but only for my Associates. Still have my Bachelors ahead of me. Bleh

Good luck with your studies. Just speaking for myself, I found student teaching a tiresome and challenging experience and was glad when it was over. Definitely worth treating yourself to a fishing trip. :)

Back