catskill jam 2012. June 7, 8, 9 & 10

krayfish

krayfish

By suggestion of Jdaddy, I'm starting a new thread.

I should be in Hancock Thursday morning and ready to fish after getting unloaded. There is no specific plan in place. Capra Inn is the headquarters of operation. Fisherman can organize groups each evening for the following day. Some will float, some will wade and some might sit on the porch and drink. We should have Brandon and driftboat joining in. will wading be possible or the preferred method of fishing? I can't tell you what the flows will be like until the day of fishing. You never know up there. Due to the warm winter and crazy spring, the big hatches will have passed by JAM time. Don't let that stop you because the sulphurs will be rolling along. They typically hatch twice a day! There will also be small olives (#20), ISO's , mixed caddis, ants, etc. Fishing won't be limited to one specific river. There is well over 100 miles of fihable water if the temps stay down. Brandon is looking to take a group to the Neversink Gorge one day....miles of pocket water for the nymph enthusiast. The gorge is no joke. You sign in at the parking area. It's rugged terrain and you should be fit for this excursion. Just make sure you have the correct license for the area you are fishing.

Fade and the Prof are renting a place ten minutes up the road in Deposit. I believe he's rounded up a local bluegrass band for Saturday night. First time visitors to "the D" are welcome. Some pretty experienced angles should be attending and will be happy to share what they know. Please be aware that dry fly fishing on this river system will test every part of your angling skills. Micro drag gets refused. Lining a fish typically put them down and you will be called on to make 'hero casts' from time to time. The lower the water, the more technical it becomes so pray for rain / releases.

Saturday morning, we plan to do a raffle as in years past. Due to a recent mold discovery in my air conditioning ducts, the prize selection may be pretty thin this year. There are several pubs, a McD's and a diner close by.

Feel free to post questions or concerns. One of the guys who have been or are going will reply.

Everything Krayfish said about the dry fly fishing, I can absolutely attest to. That being said, chucking streamers has been known to produce metric tonnage of fish. Which is to say, do not be imtimidated, just prepared.

Man I wish I could go to this. After the QG Summit and the Jam, my wife put an axe to weekend trips for a while.

by The_Sasquatch on 2012/5/22 9:07:03 Man I wish I could go to this. After the QG Summit and the Jam, my wife put an axe to weekend trips for a while.

Same here but you never know she's pretty understanding about my passion.

I'm sure that I'll make 2-3 trips over the summer. You guys just shoot a PM if your better half loosens the leash a little. LOL

I may be able to do 2 days. I'll get back to you on that.

I'm going to try to get up there on friday. I'm not far, less than 30 miles from Hancock, but I rarely fish the D because it's a pain (meaning I get skunked unless I manage a small smallmouth or carp or something).

Holy crap! we have a woman on board. That's awesome. Can't ever make a promise that you will catch a bunch (too many outside factors on that river system) but we'll see if we can't chase that skunk away and get you hooked onto a few Delaware river rockets. I imagine that we will fish early...short nap or bite to eat and get back out there for the magic hour. I'll PM my cell so you have a contact # to coordinate.

Don't doubt Cathy! Just because her son can outfish her (he's on the national team) doesn't mean she's a pushover. Hope one day she joins us at the JAM!

I wasn't doubting her one bit. Sometimes a specific river has you snake bit. Hope we can get her hooked up a bunch. If she's a good caster that makes things much easier. Look for photos of her holding some big fish. I'll post updates every evening before the lager takes over. LOL

ryguyfi wrote:
Don't doubt Cathy! Just because her son can outfish her (he's on the national team) doesn't mean she's a pushover. Hope one day she joins us at the JAM!

I am thinking you are thinking of Wetnet....

Wetnet is mother of fishing champs.

I really need to work on my Delaware lack of skills. It's just too close to ignore. Mostly I fish the Lack because its close. Part of it is about 300 yards behind my house although that section is a dead zone.

yep mixed up the fantastic females on the board. Heard Cathy was also a good fisherwoman!

Brandon is looking for a few hearty anglers to do a night float (9pm to 1am). It will be tossing meat, mice and huge stimulators.

krayfish wrote:
Brandon is looking for a few hearty anglers to do a night float (9pm to 1am). It will be tossing meat, mice and huge stimulators.

Dang! This is one I'd love to try (someday).

Maybe next year.

Out, poor, this is all.

Dude, you really should fix that issue. If things pan out, you know you are welcome. I just found out mold in the A/C unit is making me deathly ill. Guy is coming to rip it out next week and its going to cost 2k before all is said and done. Not sure where that $$ is coming from (might sell a kidney). I may have to bum money to go on the trip so I feel your pain. The raffle will be weak this year because I'm tapped out.

Dave;
We have reason to believe the late night float may work and have heard many stories. I'll post some updates during the JAM so we'll let you know if fish were caught or if it was a futile effort / booze cruise. :)

Believe me I am trying. Pray for hail. I don't start my summer job till that following Tuesday. I might be able to make it for a day trip, but I can't even touch a hotel room. What can I get for bone marrow? Plasma? Sperm? :)

I've seen you. Pretty sure you won't be a candidate for donating sperm. Lmao.

Back