catskill jam 2012. June 7, 8, 9 & 10

I would be down for float friday night in b boat. Not so much on pontoon. Also, that neversink offer is a great one boys. Place is a nymphers dream like the esopuse.

Let me clarify a little on the Esopus / Neversink comparison. Same type of fishing, yes. Same type of water, no. The Neversink is clear, chunk pocket water and the average fish size is 3x that of the Esopus. You'll also want to have a camera handy. Tons of wildlife. If you are afraid of snakes, not the place for you.

If you like playing golf / beer, bring your clubs. The day we fish the Neversink there will be a morning round of golf. The course is pretty sweet and only minutes from the stream..shooting for Fri morning.

Well, it's been a strange year in that region to say the least. Things went from no water, to having too much water and now water temps in the 70's. Here's hoping for cooler weather, rain and / or releases from the lakes. Without some relief, golf, fly tying, swimming or drinking beer on the porch may be the only options between 11am and 8pm... Unless you want to join the other 2000 anglers on the WB.

Those are not some of the worst options, especially the last one.

I am actually so inclinded to Drink beer AND fish for Smallmouth Bass.

Hold on! I was unaware that the Capra had a pool! lol!

The Capra has around 70 miles of "pool" for your swimming pleasure. How about a refreshing dip up above the Stilesville access area? Water at that time might be in the 44-46 degree range. We can also hook a tube to your boat.and use a tolling motor. Lots of options.

Are there any small brookie stream options? If I am driving 5 hours to get up there, I want to do some fishing. Although golf and drinking are good options too. Who else plays golf?

Just me and Josh for golfing so far. It's an old mountain course that may be the best I've played of its type. There's also the "monster" if you want to get beat up. It's 8200 yds from the tips! Don't worry about fishing, we'll find good water. Temps look to be cooling off over the next 10-14 days.

When are you guys planning to play? I will only be getting there Friday evening. And I get beat up anywhere I play. I used to shoot low 80's consistently, but I will probably be lucky to break 100 now, as I have only played 1 round in the past year. I used to play a few times a week during spring and summer. That was before I started fishing.

I play, but golf is absolutely out. Maybe Dave and I can float or wade for smallies on the main stem near Barryville. Lots of Bikini's on that float. Lol

I think we were shooting for Fri morning for the golf and then fish the gorge (Neversink) in the afternoon. If by some slim chance the rivers weren't fishable on Sat, we could golf that day but I bet there will bSe angling on Sat. I'm not going to let you drive that far to fish for 5" brooks either. You can do that here. We might have to jump around but we'll find good water and fish. *disclaimer* Finding the fish may be much easier than catching them, but I'll put you on some and some good ones too. Expect sulphurs (bring every pattern you have). A 5 or 6 weight will work. If we go some place where it's smaller, a 4 weight will be fine.

Shane, how are you in one day and out the next? Make up your mind son!

I am in. An Angel named DaveS has contacted me in regards to my situation. I am in charge of grilling some meats to eat in exchange for his kindness.

You are lucky he's a nice guy and that he's getting 6 pounds of Seltzers Lebanon Bologna. Keep you mits out of it. It's for Dave and his family. Also, you owe him some time on the oars. LOL. Lastly, Brandon is looking forward to watching weep in the gorge from the hike. LOL

I hope he trusts me enough to not sink us! He is running an i o u tab for me. LOL

I can walk for miles, it is the running that kicks my arse. Is the gorge the Neversink? I need this info to be ready to whoop him. Haha

I'm still in...I plan on getting there Thursday evening and have to leave Saturday morning.
Would love to do a night float, but Thursday is only time I think I can do it...have to catch up with some rowdy wastoids on Friday night.
I play golf as well...the Friday "plan" from above would work for me...

Very good. We'll catch kiddies and fish Fri if the weather permits. All you have to do is mention night float to Brandon and he's in.

I really do want to do a night float pretty bad.

You know, the only downer with the night time stuff is the lack of light. Which is to say, in the daylight I can see if I got the cast next to the log. At night you have no freakin idea where that cast wound up, or the neat little bow tie in your leader.

That being said I'm in, 'cause I can always row, and even in the dark I can usually get the beer can pretty much right to my lips!

I think we actually need some kind of light to be legal. Not just headlamps either. An actual like that can be seen 360 degrees and on at all time. At least in PA you do. Even if the boat does not have an engine.

Back