Careers and fishing

poopdeck wrote:

Pick your career based on earning potential, period. Having a high paying job is living the dream. Retiring by age 50 is a dream come true.

High paying jobs are exciting and fun. Low paying jobs suck. Not being able to buy the things you want and the things you need sucks. Not being able to retire until your 65 and eligible to collect the pittance social security gives you in return for stealing your money your entire life sucks. Having your kids take out massive student loan debt sucks.

Earning potential related to living the dream is only a piece of the overall pie.

Yes, money helps, but.....

Putting up with the higher stress, and possibly shorter life due to it, that accompanies some higher paying jobs sucks.

Working long hours to make that extra money sucks.

Putting up with the rat race of higher paying jobs sucks.

Being forced to live in high cost-of-living areas with the best paying jobs sucks.

Being addicted to the dollar sucks.

Being a slave to the job sucks.

You get the point. One needs to find the balance that works best for them; that isn't always a money-first decision.

Thanks for that video krayfish that was hilarious

Jesus.
I’m no fishing guide but I had some similar experiences to that video.

It broke clean through the boron. Great video.

True coldbore but working long hours just to keep the lights on is more stressful and life sucking then being well paid. Somebody previously asked if you ever seen anybody riding a jet ski with a sad face. That pretty much sums it up.

I'm wondering if the OP is formulating a plan of action or if it's just a general question To help everybody get through winter.

FYI, Dave Previs walks among us on the East coast too. LoL

I went to school intending to work in the water resources field which I did for a few years.but now am exclusively inside. However I fulfill my plan to move to central pa and enjoy the great fishing. I know like a quarter mile from spring creek. My daily commute takes me across Bald Eagle, BFC, the West Branch, and Pine. I stop at all of these as time allows. Unfortunately the full time plus job and family doesn’t allow much of that time.

You live even closer to Logan Branch and a stream with some nice brookies????

I work full time at a hospital and guide steelhead and lake trips for trout/walleye in the spring and summer. Because I work 12 hour shifts I am able to get a few extra days off to do this. I love to fish and be outdoors as much as anyone, would I want to do it full time, probably not. I guide because it is fun and I like to teach people, I worry that if it was a full time job it would take the fun out of it and I don't ever want what I love to do to become unfun. Having a desk job can definitely suck but at the same time, its not that bad, I look at the steady paycheck and insurance aspect of it and the fact that when I do go fishing, it is a break from the real world even though I may still be working while Im fishing. I think it comes down to do something that you don't mind and allowing yourself time to do the things you love whether that's at work or not. I don't think there is anyone who jumps out of bed every morning of their life thinking they cannot wait to get to work regardless of what job they have.

Find a job you like and you'll never work a day in your life.

As long as it pays enough salary to pay all of your daily expenses, taxes, health insurance and there is enough left over to save for your retirement unless you want to work until you die.

Mike wrote:
You live even closer to Logan Branch and a stream with some nice brookies????

Sorry Mike. Was this question directed toward me? I no longer live on the Logan Branch side of town. I’m not far from it but still much closer to spring.

LLR,
What appeared to be my asking a question was actually supposed to be a statement with a period and smiling face, but unnoticed by me until it was too late was that my IPad turned the smile into a bunch of question marks.

main job was always heavy construction/ truck driver/mechanic. did the Pt at fly shops and guided from the 70's through the early 90's. hard work for little pay. now that i am retired I have a pt fly shop of my own. thought about closing down but fishing 7 days a week can get boring

Bruno wrote:
My HS friend is a guide in a resort town in CO. He is out on the water 200 + days a year. He rarely gets to fish or has time to.

My wife and I recently discussed this and while neither of us love our jobs we do love the rewards they provide. Would I be happier working at something I really enjoy like fishing or cooking. I doubt it. Work is work no matter how you slice it.

There was a book written some years back written by Richard Louv titled Fly Fishing for Sharks (fantastic read on the culture of fishing) in which one chapter is devoted to a guy who left his well paying job as an airline pilot for a major carrier to become a fly-fishing guide. At one point Louv asks, "So what is the main difference between flying and airplane and guiding?" The former pilot responds, "Adjusting to poverty."

Back