Careers and fishing

I guided for a short period of time and I HATED it. I am not a people person,

You picked the perfect username then!

I work as a civil engineer focused on water resources (flood modeling, stormwater control, BMPs) and while I'm not working in an area that has any trout to protect, some of the work has water quality benefits. I don't think I'd be in this field if not for fishing giving me an interest in all things water related.

I had a good job in a large multinational corporation that involved quite a lot of travel around the world. I was often able to arrange my travel schedule so that I could be at places and at times of the year that offered excellent fly fishing opportunities. I also saved as much as I could possibly afford to save during all of that time which enabled me to retire at a relatively young age. (When I retired my coworkers gave me a card that said “Why would a person quit a job that paid them hundreds of dollars a week?” ...”for doing absolutely nothing.” I guess they didn’t know that I got to fish evenings and weekends while on a number of those travel assignments.

As soon as I retired, my wife and I went to Montana (and other areas of the NW US and Canada) where we spent the next 18 summers, mostly living on the banks of the Yellowstone River a few miles north of Yellowstone National Park, and then we also traveled from there to various other nearby fishing destinations.

Initially, I toyed with the thought of being a paid fishing guide, and even lined up a part time guiding job with a local outfitter, but after thinking about it for a time, I decided to be an unpaid fishing guide.

Over the course of those 18 years I voluntarily took many people fishing, on my terms, but never charged them a penny. I was sometimes called the best guide on the river - at least if not the best, I was certainly the cheapest!

My terms I were pretty simple: I’ll get us to the river and supply the boat (which I’ll row, and put you on fish) but you’ll use your own rod and flies (although I always had backups), and you’ll have to tie them onto your leader yourself (unless they were unable to do that, like a kid, for example). You should come prepared to get your feet wet (I’m not going to always pull my boat onto the shore so you can step in and out to keep your feet dry), and you MUST bring a raincoat. Bring your own lunch, and help with the shuttle (generally, my wife also helped us do this.).

We routinely got to the river before other paid guides arrived, or we fished evenings when practically all of the paid guides had left the river with their clients. The evening fishing was often the best of the day, and we had it all to ourselves.

My wife and I did get a lot of rewards from that “job” - a lot of new lifetime friends, and like another person here has already mentioned - one of the best rewards was watching someone else catch a fish that you’ve had a part of.

John

Tigereye wrote:
While I dont get to do much field work anymore, my job has me on the front lines as an environmental engineer. I realize that I cant pursue my outdoor interests fly fishing and bird hunting without clean streams and good habitat. As such I always think about the impacts a project is going to have on the environment.

Usually the work includes developing Storm Water Erosion and Sedimentation Plans, Pollution Abatement Scrubbers, and other projects that PREVENT POLLUTION. My fishing friends say because I work for corporate America I use my environmental skills for the "Dark Side". My reply is would you rather have the accountants make the decisions? LOL

On the flip side, I am working on a remediation project CLEANING UP pollution at an historic soil contamination site. The site repaired locomotives in the late 1800 early 1900's. ie all the oils ,degreasers, and other chemicals were dumped in the "Back 40". Soil and ground water are contaminated and nearby homes may be impacted by vapors from contaminated groundwater infiltrating a 100+ year old deteriorated sanitary system that transverses the area.

The job has me interact with geologists, hydrologists, foresters, chemists, hygenists, gov't officials, civil engineers, politicians, corporate executives, sportsmen's groups, community groups, citizens and a host of other interested parties. Believe me, they all have an agenda.

The job forces me to see the reality of situations, and while the goal of all of the players is a clean environment, the how and the "how much" are the difficult questions. Its easy to point the finger and say "you pay for it" but when the "you" is a long defunct business and the cost needs to be shared, it amazing to see how peoples view change.

I am in the same industry. While we dont get to see something getting built (like a skyscraper) it is nice to see wildlife begin to thrive in areas where they previously couldnt. Sometimes projects are long enough when you can see that happen and its pretty cool. Most sites are in urban areas but sometimes I get lucky and am in a pretty wild area. Usually these are former paper mills or tanneries.

I wanted to be a guide since I was a kid. Life happened and I just went with the flow. Now I am a union plumber. I get to work with water and occasionally get to see a wrinkle back brown trout. All jokes aside I enjoy my job and get plenty of time on the water. As of the past month and for the possibility next few years my job is located right in downtown Philadelphia on the banks of the Schuylkill river. Make the best of where life takes you and explore your local waters and you will not be let down on a career choice. I usually get at least three days a week on the water in the spring summer and fall depending on my girlfriends work schedule.

sarce wrote:
I work as a civil engineer focused on water resources (flood modeling, stormwater control, BMPs) and while I'm not working in an area that has any trout to protect, some of the work has water quality benefits. I don't think I'd be in this field if not for fishing giving me an interest in all things water related.

sarce, I sent you a PM. We're in the same line of work. I'm a licensed land surveyor.

My position now keeps me pretty much confined to the office. But in my earlier days working in the field, my survey truck was always equipped with a fly rod.

A vital piece of equipment to have while doing recon for property corners located near streams and ponds. :-D

Nicely shot and edited, Tom. Do you still do any shooting?

in general id say not to take something that is a passion and outlet for lifes stresses and pressures and turn it into a job and a source of lifes stresses and pressures. if you enjoy fishing and the outdoors and use it as an escape and to rejuvenate yourself, chances are if you turn to it as a way to make a living you could just very well remove what you enjoy most from the activity and turn it into a grind. then youre gonna have to find a different passion/escape/outlet....whats that gonna be?

Jessed wrote:
I think it’s pretty safe to say all of use on the site have a strong passion for fly fishing or other types of fishing. I was wondering how many of you on this sight had chosen a career path affiliated with fishing or other types of jobs that work around water, geography, biology etc! If not do you think this type of work would have put a damper on your passion for fishing?

This thread has morphed from the OP above.

Nothing above even mentions him looking to be a fishing guide or getting into in some shape or form the fly-fishing industry itself. He mentions working around water and looking into geography or biology.

Jessed has been on here since he was a young teen. I believe he is now at an age looking to work towards an education for a job / profession. Geography or biology are vast fields offers many opportunities to pursue for a young man.

As I wrote in my previous post, if you have a passion for working "around water, geography, biology etc"....go for it! . Getting into a field that interests you like geography or biology will likely fuel your desire to explore the outdoors and fly-fishing.

"I frankly don't make much of a living (in the fishing business), but I make a hell of a life.” - Jack Gartside

It's about expectations and what you value in a life. If you're willing to drive cab in Boston all Winter (like Gartside) and you're willing to eat a lot of peanut butter and drive an old van, You can spend your Summers fishing every day wherever you choose. You just have to choose it and decide to be content with it.

Jessed wrote:
I was wondering how many of you on this sight had chosen a career path affiliated with fishing or other types of jobs that work around water, geography, biology etc! If not do you think this type of work would have put a damper on your passion for fishing?

I don't think being around water and working in some capacity that puts us close to nature would put a damper on enthusiasm for FFing (at least not for me). If anything, working in a field that puts us close intellectually and proximate to our passion will help sustain it.

(Working directly in the FF business full time, like guiding or running a fly shop, it seems to me, could lead to burn out and a desire to pursue other hobbyist interests.)

Jessed,
If you're considering careers or how to keep your life connected to the sport, pay careful attention to where you may wind up living as this is critical (at least if you're like the rest of us with limited time and money).
Take some time to study the job market of different states and regions and maybe think about targeting them in your future job searches. Odds are slim you'll find your dream job in Montana, but it wouldn't hurt to look into it (a young PAFF regular got a good job out there a few years ago - not in the FF business - and is living the dream). Living in central PA in a town like Bellefonte or Carlisle has decent economic prospects and will put you in trout paradise.

In the end, you want to put your career first and passion for FFIng second... but there is room to make things work. It is a lot easier to do this when you're young.

I'm a little late on this but when I was just graduating high school one of the advisers gave some very good advice. Keep your outdoor hobbies and work separate. If you like fishing your busiest time of year to work is going to be during the best times of year to fish. If you like hunting your busiest time of year to work is going to be hunting season. If you like fishing you would be better off being a game warden. If you like hunting you would be better off being a WCO.

Jessed,
Relative to the workforce as a whole, I was one of the few fortunate individuals to live the dream for nearly 43 yrs. Overall, it never put a damper on my desire to fish, but there were times each year when the hours had been so long on that day or during the previous week that I then passed up some evening or weekend fishing. I know of fisheries biologists who hardly ever fish and I know of those, like me, for whom fishing is is an important part of their lives. It pretty much comes down to determination, priorities, and staying in shape so that at the end of a long, physically demanding day or night, you still have a desire to fish.

I could see how some people might get tired of looking at or handling hundreds to thousands of fish in a week and that could dampen their enthusiasm for fishing, but that was not me. Fishing was never my only outlet, however. Time spent hiking, biking, cross country skiing, and gardening further increased my desire to put time aside for fishing. Except for ice fishing and striper fishing, my trips were shorter (2-3 hrs), usually close to or within 45 min of home, but productive. I took the approach that maximizing catch per hour was a lot better than spending all day to catch the same number of fish. Just like a lot of our biological sampling, timing was everything. So yes, you can work in fisheries and still enjoy fishing, but you may not want to spend all day at it.

bigjohn58 wrote:
If you like fishing you would be better off being a game warden. If you like hunting you would be better off being a WCO.
Please note this distinction is unique to Pennsylvania. As far as I know no other state splits game enforcement and fishing enforcement into two departments. The other states have Fish & Game, or even Fish, Game, & Parks under one department. That said, conservation officer jobs are a great opportunity. You can readily live in the best fly fishing spots in the world. Last time I checked Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado were all begging for conservation officer applicants.

Balancing a career, family and outdoor pursuits in my opinion is the key. Work hard and play harder. No matter what you do it's a job. It pays the freight making it possible to do what you want. Finding one that you enjoy is a job unto itself. If you figure you'll work 30 to 40 years will you be able to enjoy retirement? and do the things you put off due to time and money? Life isn't easy finding the right balance will make it easier,imo. GG

I don't work around water nor did I pick my career based on what I love to do. However, somehow I really loved my job and I never woke up and said I don't want to go to work today or I wish I could go fishing instead.

If you want to work for the next 50 years pick your career based on what you love to do or where you would love to live. Maybe if you don't buy a home, get married or have children doing what you love to do might be good advice.

Pick your career based on earning potential, period. Having a high paying job is living the dream. Retiring by age 50 is a dream come true.

High paying jobs are exciting and fun. Low paying jobs suck. Not being able to buy the things you want and the things you need sucks. Not being able to retire until your 65 and eligible to collect the pittance social security gives you in return for stealing your money your entire life sucks. Having your kids take out massive student loan debt sucks.

If I were young again I would want to work on automous cars and go fishing on the weekend anywhere in the world I wanted to. Robots are fun aren't they?

The best advice given so far was to seperate your career and what you love to do. Make the correct decision and you will love doing more then one thing.

Go for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

troutbert--Good question. Others probably have a good answer but not me. I was half kidding when I wrote that. I have my own business which never quite got off the ground like I had hoped. It does provide for my family and we have enough free time to pursue other interests like fishing. Full retirement looks unlikely though.
I do think young people are facing some things that probably are not appearing in the current "glowing" reports of high employment. Most of the jobs seem to be service industry/low paying and little chance of advancement. Finding something related to water or the environment seems like a nice idea. If I had it to do over I would definitely start by getting a good education and applying myself and looking into an area of study that interested me. Beyond that it gets foggy.
Sorry for OT comments.

Dave W. had some good things to say on the OP question.

Back