Careers and fishing

Jessed

Jessed

I think it’s pretty safe to say all of use on the site have a strong passion for fly fishing or other types of fishing. I was wondering how many of you on this sight had chosen a career path affiliated with fishing or other types of jobs that work around water, geography, biology etc! If not do you think this type of work would have put a damper on your passion for fishing?

Jessed wrote:
I think it’s pretty safe to say all of use on the site have a strong passion for fly fishing or other types of fishing. I was wondering how many of you on this sight had chosen a career path affiliated with fishing or other types of jobs that work around water, geography, biology etc! If not do you think this type of work would have put a damper on your passion for fishing?

If you have a passion for working "around water, geography, biology etc"....go for it! . Getting into a field that interests you like geography or biology will likely fuel your desire to explore the outdoors and fly-fishing.

Find a job you like and you'll never work a day in your life.

There are a couple options. Work in a related field like you said or do something where you make a lot of money and can go on trips and retire early and fish more. I did neither LOL.

afishinado wrote:
Jessed wrote:

If you have a passion for working "around water, geography, biology etc"....go for it! . Getting into a field that interests you like geography or biology will likely fuel your desire to explore the outdoors and fly-fishing.

I agree that those are good choices.

Don't become a fishing guide.

My HS friend is a guide in a resort town in CO. He is out on the water 200 + days a year. He rarely gets to fish or has time to.

My wife and I recently discussed this and while neither of us love our jobs we do love the rewards they provide. Would I be happier working at something I really enjoy like fishing or cooking. I doubt it. Work is work no matter how you slice it.

My job didn't involve fishing or the outdoors, however it did provide me the opportunity to fish around the world, literally. I have fished on five continents.

Bruno wrote:

My HS friend is a guide in a resort town in CO. He is out on the water 200 + days a year. He rarely gets to fish or has time to.

Way too many stories like that, with guys finding out the hard way that being a fishing (or hunting) guide pretty much kills your actual time fishing or hunting.

When I was in high school I wanted to be a fly fishing guide out west. A friend of the family had a place in Montana and was well connected with a lot of the outfitters and guides there. He took me out and introduced me to a bunch of the guides. One of them lived out of an old ford F150. Over several trips out there I got to talk with a bunch of the guides. I never wanted to be a fly fishing guide after that.

I always thought biology or something in the outdoor sciences field would be great though. I wish I would have gone that route. Instead I have a desk job and sit in front of a computer for 10 hours a day.

I love what I do for my meager living. When I want to be working, I enjoy it thoroughly. When I would like to recreate, I prefer not to be working at all.

Except, if your vocation which you are passionate about requires periods of contemplation and mulling of scenarios and strategies, or planning, fly fishing is the greatest hobby I have yet discovered. You can engage in the craft with very little thought, while your mind wanders to your contemplating, mulling and planning.

I use(d) fly fishing to contemplate, mull and plan. I love my vocation too much to choose a hobby that does not allow me, when I want, to let my mind wander.

My son was a fly fishing guide in Montana after high school. He had to get a regular job in a very short period of time.

Work in an office. For the last 3 years, been using half my vacation to guy weekday trips and guide on weekends. Has it cut my fishing time? Yes. Has it sapped my desire to fish? Quite often. I enjoy it and seeing the client catch their first, a bunch or a personal best is better than catching them yourself.

Think it would be good experience to work for a camp/lodge in Alaska.

Don’t necessarily think you have to be a guide- maybe be a cook or gopher getting boats ready etc... Make a little money, get some exposure to the fishing business, deal with customers , get to visit new areas.

Probably rather go to Alaska than say being a shuttle driver moving fishing rigs on the Bighorn.

Probably the best benefit is making contacts in the industry.

For three years after I graduated college, I worked on Trail Crews for the Park Service in Colorado, Maine, and California. I essentially lived in a tent and worked in incredibly beautiful wilderness places. It was awesome, but the work was very physically demanding and our time off was spent doing what our work days were spent doing - hiking and exploring wilderness areas. It was great, don't get me wrong, but there was no balance - some days I just wanted to go to town and gorge myself on food and watch a baseball game at a bar. And take a shower. And be around other human beings.

Once I moved on from that job, it took me a little while to get back into wanting to spend time in the backcountry again. It's like I was oversaturated in it and the idea of backpacking just did not appeal to me for awhile. However, now that I teach, which I absolutely love, I spend my free time and summers fly fishing, writing, exploring wilderness areas - and it's an absolute blast. I love the balance that exists between these two parts of my life - a job that is fulfilling that allows me to explore my interests and notions.

I guess what I'm saying is that balance is key for me. I wouldn't want to just fly fish all the time, nor would I want to teach or write all the time. They all have their place and enable me to enjoy each one on its own merits.

raftman Im so jealous of you teachers. It seems so rewarding teaching the younger ones and then getting the summers off too is just icing on the cake. My local TU organizer is a bio professor and he does trout in the classroom and all that. Wonderful stuff.

I'm a field geologist so I do get the luxury of being outdoors a lot although it is usually just dealing with energy industry stuff sadly... I have thought a lot about guiding but I've heard horror stories from everyone including guide friends so I've mostly discarded the idea. I'm just going to stick with geology work since one day it "might" pay well and someone one time told me get a job that allows you to do what you love, **** the rest. My GF and I have our sights set out West, 3-5 years and we're there.

The Alaska idea is awesome too. I have a guide friend that went up there and guided on the Kamchatka I think peninsula if that's right. It wasn't super crazy AK fishing but it was still really good AK fly in type of stuff and he learned a lot and loved it. I would love to do that type of thing but it's tough leaving a really aging family, a GF, and a bum knee behind for a year or more.

While I dont get to do much field work anymore, my job has me on the front lines as an environmental engineer. I realize that I cant pursue my outdoor interests fly fishing and bird hunting without clean streams and good habitat. As such I always think about the impacts a project is going to have on the environment.

Usually the work includes developing Storm Water Erosion and Sedimentation Plans, Pollution Abatement Scrubbers, and other projects that PREVENT POLLUTION. My fishing friends say because I work for corporate America I use my environmental skills for the "Dark Side". My reply is would you rather have the accountants make the decisions? LOL

On the flip side, I am working on a remediation project CLEANING UP pollution at an historic soil contamination site. The site repaired locomotives in the late 1800 early 1900's. ie all the oils ,degreasers, and other chemicals were dumped in the "Back 40". Soil and ground water are contaminated and nearby homes may be impacted by vapors from contaminated groundwater infiltrating a 100+ year old deteriorated sanitary system that transverses the area.

The job has me interact with geologists, hydrologists, foresters, chemists, hygenists, gov't officials, civil engineers, politicians, corporate executives, sportsmen's groups, community groups, citizens and a host of other interested parties. Believe me, they all have an agenda.

The job forces me to see the reality of situations, and while the goal of all of the players is a clean environment, the how and the "how much" are the difficult questions. Its easy to point the finger and say "you pay for it" but when the "you" is a long defunct business and the cost needs to be shared, it amazing to see how peoples view change.

I'll repeat what others have said - don't become a guide, I've heard it first hand from many others that it will ruin fly fishing for you, or give you little to no time to actually fish.

Now, working at a well established fly shop - even maybe part time (if I already didn't work long hours during my M-F 8 to 6:30/7 PM job I probably would), just so I can immerse myself into the industry - learn more about tying materials, rods, reels, gear of all sorts and I think I would enjoy the customer service aspect of it.

That said, find a job you like, in an area that gives you access (via driving) to a lot of fly fishing destinations. The Philadelphia area IMO is great for that, and jobs are abundant. Lehigh Valley and Poconos are 1.5-2.5 hours away. SE PA is right here. Central PA is 2.5 - 3 hours away. I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of my time exploring a lot of good water here in PA over the last 4/5 years due to living here. That said, you also have easy access to NY, CT, MA, MD, DE and VA - I do a dozen or so trips a year to any of those states to fish, and the drives are usually no longer than ~6 hours. Then I do 1-2 annual trips to other destinations, usually out West. That satisfies my hunger for adventure and the outdoors without overdoing it and I still have a stable lifestyle with my day job to support fly fishing.

I guided for a short period of time and I HATED it. I am not a people person, and after a few weeks I began to view streams and rivers as places of work. Not for me, but I can only speak for myself.

I think Raftman's reference to balance is spot on. I work in forestry and have done so for many years. I love the woods, but there are times I need to get away from it.

I have been lucky enough to work for Frontiers Travel. After finishing school with a B.S. degree, the stars aligned. I now manage the American West fishing and Central America blue water fishing programs. This job has given me the opportunity to fish parts of the world I would only dream of fishing.

One aspect I really love about the job is meeting anglers from different parts of the world and hearing their stories on how they got interest in fly fishing.

Started shooting news for local NBC affiliate after college in Boise. Having Monday and Tuesday off and working 2-11 was perfect for getting a ton of fishing in. One year I kept a journal and realized I had fished 247 days that year. Rarely saw other anglers.

Moved back to western Pa and everything worth fishing was at least an hour or three away. Gave in to local put and take ponds scattered about but still enjoyed have most of them to myself by offering to work weekends. Being able to travel a lot locally helped me find new water. Getting to do the occasional fishing related stories was like a day off.

Freelancing from home and tending to kid's schedules actually made for less opportunities to fish. This is about the same time I discovered this board. JackM, Bruno and Albatross showed me how many more opportunities there were in my area.

working a regular 7-5 shift and having weekends off has killed most of my fishing time. Spend most weekends tending to house repairs, shuttling the turnpike to this college or that and keeping my wife close to the kids that have become rather mobile.

Right before I left Idaho i had the opportunity to go to Alaska and guide for a friend. I passed. WTF was I thinking?

Here is a link to some old "tough days at work." Only one FFing story.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tgacga

Back