Can someone explain the difference to me?

krayfish2

krayfish2

I've seen several posts asking for recommendations for a "brookie rod". I've never seen anyone ask for suggestions for a good 'brownie rod'. Correct me if I'm wrong but......fly rod = brookie rod = brownie rod = bow rod = bluegill rod. Am I missing something? Do gemmies require equipment that is exclusive to them? Have I unknowingly been using a brookie rod to catch other species for 30 yrs?

Brookies are char. I have no idea how that is relevant to your post but I thought I'd mention it before anyone else did.

LOL!

My guess is that such questions are really more of a "small stream rod" inquiry.

But I don't know about you man, but when I'm fishing a small stream and I know there are more browns than brookies, I take a COMPLETELY different rod with me ;-)

Brookie Rod

60251.jpg

P.s. Bamboo for that traditional feel.

Haha, never thought of that name that way! Think it basically just means small stream rod, where typically the target is brookies. My current "brookie rod" is also used for other trout, bass/panfish, and one vacation a few years ago I even used it for small fish in saltwater back bays...

Oops, I meant to say, I would never tarnish the holy brookie rod with the slime of any other fish species :p

People say "brookie fishing" to mean fishing small forested streams. A lot of the time you're catching browns also. But, they still say that.

Particularly the people who think the small, brightly colored wild browns are brook trout. Which is a very common thing.

PennKev wrote:
Brookie Rod

60251.jpg

P.s. Bamboo for that traditional feel.

I just cried In laughter.

Attachments

• whhaaaaaa.jpg
    whhaaaaaa.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2
What's a good lightning trout rod? I was thinking 5.5' Shakespeare Ugly Stick with a nice Zebco 308 to balance it out. Any suggestions?

McSneek wrote:
What's a good lightning trout rod? I was thinking 5.5' Shakespeare Ugly Stick with a nice Zebco 308 to balance it out. Any suggestions?

Why mix and match? Use a Zebco rod.

PennKev wrote:
Brookies are char. I have no idea how that is relevant to your post but I thought I'd mention it before anyone else did.
Brookies are Charr, Charr means red, Char means blacken.

krayfish2 wrote:
I've seen several posts asking for recommendations for a "brookie rod". I've never seen anyone ask for suggestions for a good 'brownie rod'. Correct me if I'm wrong but......fly rod = brookie rod = brownie rod = bow rod = bluegill rod. Am I missing something? Do gemmies require equipment that is exclusive to them? Have I unknowingly been using a brookie rod to catch other species for 30 yrs?
I use the same rod for most of my fishing on small and medium sized streams, a 7'6" Loomis 4 weight. It doesn't matter if I'm fishing brookies, rainbows or browns, it's the same rod. It catches all quite well, and casts and picks up very well.

Which is the perfect way to enjoy gemmies.

How about one of these for gemmies?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 5
You're all amateurs.

Here's a few blanks for a right and proper "blue lining rod".

1_01_04_09_12_11_33_0.jpeg

Chaz wrote:
PennKev wrote:
Brookies are Charr, Charr means red, Char means blacken.

Wrong.

Both are acceptable terms. char = charr.

Google it and stuff.

McSneek wrote:
How about one of these for gemmies?

Does this have anything to do with center pinning?

To answer the original question, why yes!

Every fly rod is a tool that give varying degrees of 1) ease of use for situation 2)capabilities of the rod (extremes) and 3) pleasure to fish.

Personally I own quite a few "small stream fiberglass brookie rods". 6' 1pc 4wt to 7' /7'6" 4wt. Pleasure to cast and fish, small enough to bush wack but long enough to mend. Durable rods. Delicate slow casters for gentle presentations.
Extremes are throwing heavy flies at distance - obviously don't need to.

Perfect rods.

Brown trout are different in that they get bigger and react differently.
They also inhabit bigger waters sheds. I like my 9'3" 5wt for spring creeks and medium rivers. Delicate slow caster with full flex. Strong enough to land a larger trout. Can haul tons of line and weighted flies.

For rising water and larger rivers I like my 9'6" 8wt. Full flex to protect tippet yet stout for bigger fish and faster water. Use a WF8F line with a 10' I sink tip spooled on a battenkill multiplier. Fished with larger streamers.
Can throw dry flies fairly delicate when spare spool of WF8F and leader is on reel. A little heavy but vintage taper is worth the weight. Perfect trophy hunter outfit
Extremes- fishing midges. Again pointless.

Perfect rods.

If you thought I was serious, you were wrong. I was pointing out the use of the term "brookie rod" which I found amusing and judging from some of the pics posted, some of you do too.

I don't know why someone wouldn't ask for a small stream rod or light line rod suggestion. I've used a 7'9" 3wt since 1984. Caught brooks browns, bows, bass, bluegills and carp on it. I just called it 'my 3 weight'. Get ova yourself gemmie anglers. LOL. Char rods are any rod you have in your hands.

Kev, if that thing had a sweet vapen style grip on it, sign me up for one.

Finished my first blank

Attachments

• The_Squatcher.gif
    The_Squatcher.gif
    141.5 KB · Views: 4
krayfish2 wrote:
Kev, if that thing had a sweet vapen style grip on it, sign me up for one.

Sorry no vapen grip. But the deluxe model does come with an elastic casting aid.

HawaiianSlinge.jpg

Back