Can someone explain the difference to me?

I believe what we have here is a misnomer. D. Webster defines "brookie" as "brook trout". D. Webster defines "brook" as "a small stream". Brookies are often times found in brooks. Brooks are places where fishers often fish for brookies. Brookie is a shortend term for brook trout. Brook isn't a shortened term at all. See how the confusion starts to set in? Somewhere along the way the "ie got permently added to "brook", probably because many brooks hold brookies. And Pandora's box was forever opened!

I usually strap 3 rods to my back, my Brookie rod , brownie rod and rainbow rod, then fish the appropriate rod.

Post #23, I would never have guessed it would last this long.

PennKev wrote:
Chaz wrote:
PennKev wrote:
Brookies are char. I have no idea how that is relevant to your post but I thought I'd mention it before anyone else did.
Brookies are Charr, Charr means red, Char means blacken.

Wrong.

Both are acceptable terms. char = charr.

Google it and stuff.
Google is wrong, look it up in a real dictionary.

Chaz wrote:
Google is wrong, look it up in a real dictionary.

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary.

noun \?chär\ plural char or chars also charr or charrs Definition of CHAR : any of a genus (Salvelinus) of small-scaled trouts with light-colored spots

As always, nice playing. Better luck next time.

Just because people have spelled Charr incorrectly as Char for 300 years doesn't make it right.
Now back to the OP, my small stream rod is used for streams from the size of most of the limestone streams down to the smallest brookie streams. you don't need a 9 foot rod to cast in most places if PA. I guess my 9 foot rods come out when a stream is about 30 feet wide or wider.

Andy,
That looks like a glass blank. Nice work on the wraps too.

no matter the rod, just make sure your reel has a truck stopping drag!! them little critters can run!!!

Chaz wrote:
Just because people have spelled Charr incorrectly as Char for 300 years doesn't make it right.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how American English works. This is only partially meant as humour.

Boyer

Squatch - can I get one of your super secret 1942 Pearl Harbor driftwood blanks instead? I'd pay extra and vow to NEVER catch an invasive deplorable Brown or Rainbow with it.

So if you are fishing a tiny drainage ditch that you believe could have invasive 2" browns in it per the comments of the frisky 78-year-old woman at the A.C. Moore craft store when she noticed the fine collection of beads, bead wire and craft-fur....it is quite obvious that you should choose a 10-weight "red handled vapen with 80-lb fluoro leader.

Since the apex predator is a 48" muskellunge, you must fish for it! Anything less is illogical. So you can conclude, the original premiss is not worthy. Brookies = Unworthy

MattBoyer wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how American English works. This is only partially meant as humour.

Boyer

Agreed...it did not take 300 years for the word "bling" to get into the dictionary

Would someone mind explaining what a Gemmie is?

4" wild brook trout, ST or char

The real question is whether this forum can successfully get "gemmies" into the dictionary.

Thanks. Newer to the forum. Never heard that word before.

it's because each one of them is a treasure and we should try to get gemmies in the dictionary

Another tough part of being new to a forum....don't know posters sarcasm levels. Seems like a fun forum though.

Urban Dictionary FTW!

Other than getting the ball rolling about getting gemmies in the dictionary, the other best thing about this thread is we now know that Becker has at least two cats.

Back