CADDIS EMERGERS ETC...

wetfly1

wetfly1

[color=0033FF]I DON'T HAVE THE CHANCE TO POST MANY PICS, BUT I DID HAVE SOME RECENT ONES AND THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE. SOME TAKES ON THE SPARKLE PUPA CADDIS USING CDC INSTEAD OF ANTRON AND A PEEK INTO MY 'NIMP' TREASURE CHEST!
MIKE
[/color]
005.JPG

michael%20ebay%20001.JPG

michael%20ebay%20004.JPG

007.JPG

michael%20ebay%20004.JPG

Wow! Wish I had a box that looked like that.

Mike,
I like your style. but i see your a bead a holic.lol great idea though.Ill need to get a weight belt if have to lug that box around especially if they are tungsten.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Very nice as usual. I have fished with Mike, and he gave me some tying lessons. And for the record, all of his boxes are the nice.

Flyfishers ocd i used to be able to do that, boxes are filled all over the place

Wow how bout it. Wow nice ties.

Very nice indeed, are you ebaying them ? look like some on there.

looks good. I like he ribbing and the body is a realistic thickness, but the heads a bit too big IMO, especially on some of the green ones.
The CDC is a good change up. Did you get the idea from FF magazine?

Does teh CDC and the bead counter-act with each other?

I thought I was going to be the first person to comment on the neatness of your boxes...guess not. My ADHD would kick in and I wouldn't beable to organize them like that.

I will let OP answer for himself, but my experience with flies like this is that the cdc does not counteract the bead, especially after everything gets wet.

The cdc will slow the decent and trap some air bubbles.

Both are good things, imo.

Nice flies and good to see another Black Flag fan.

Thanks all...
I did partially get the idea from a magazine somewhere along the way, but I 'bastardize' most patterns to suit my taste so there aren't many perfect copies of any pattern in my boxes. I don't use the cdc to suspend or float these flies in any way, but to mimic the halo effect that some patterns aim for with the antron casing. I think the cdc gives a more natural 'filmy' looking halo around the abdomens vs. the antron. I also now use cdc on most of my 'regular' nymphs as a hackle in front of the collar for the same reason.

The beads are not tungsten so the sink rate isn't a problem, but I do want to fish them just below the film so the beads help with that. Generally, if I want to fish them lower I will cast farther up and lead the flies with my rod tip low and allow them to sink and fish them dead drift. Or, I will keep my rod tip high and impart 'up and down' action with the rod tip as they drift down a riffle keeping them higher in the water column or even breaking the surface by bringing them out of the water. I took a fish this past weekend by bringing the fly out of the water. It took mid-air!

I do tend towards larger heads which is influenced by Mike Mercers 'trigger nymph' heads ( a style I have great success with) and alot of eastern european competition flies utilize a larger head. I strted tying a few in this style and with success, began incorporating that into other patterns. The fish don't seem to mind:).
mike

Can you show us pics of what is in your box? Looks like some scuds and some princes?

Looking good bud. Are you using those South African hooks they got in at the shop?

tennjed wrote:
Looking good bud. Are you using those South African hooks they got in at the shop?
No...! Those hooks are garbage. I use Daiichi or Partridge for most everything. I did have some competition hooks from Knapec that were killer though! Wish I could get my hands on more of those. I will get some more pics from this box for a look at some of the other stuff. Let's go fish JS.
mike

Awesome looking flies and box!

BPS wrote:
Nice flies and good to see another Black Flag fan.

Right on!

As the others said, the box is the neatest i've seen in a long while. I try to get mine that way and i get bored of tying more than 4 of one pattern...nice job, and nice tying.

Back