Bugger of a Night.

sholgate

sholgate

I had a friend over tonight. He hasn't tied flies in about 30 years and wanted to get back into it. We tied woolly buggers, and why not? They relatively easy to tie, they catch fish, and they help build the skills to tie more complex flies in the future.

With these guys, we weighted them in varying weights, use grizzly hackle with all, and used variegated chenilles. I am a big believer in contrasting colors.

Attachments

• BUGGERNIGHT.jpg
    BUGGERNIGHT.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 11
Look very nice. Is that a red body? Looks interesting. Try usin red thread behind the bead or hook eye on the all white boogers. It seemed to be the ticket for the white ones where I fish.

drews wrote:
Look very nice. Is that a red body? Looks interesting. Try usin red thread behind the bead or hook eye on the all white boogers. It seemed to be the ticket for the white ones where I fish.

I do a red thread sometimes. The red/white ones are to mimic steelhead smolts in the Erie tribs this weekend.

The white ones with natural hackle are more of a shad or minnow imitations.

Have a few more "bugger" nights and send me some. Still got like ten dozen more to go haha

Interesting idea with re smolts. Is that varigated chenille in the red?

Contrasting colors... AJ would be proud! Looking good there bud!

drews wrote:
Interesting idea with re smolts. Is that varigated chenille in the red?

Yes, red and variegated chenille. TCO has it.

outdoorsman816 wrote:
Contrasting colors... AJ would be proud! Looking good there bud!

I try to be a good pupil and teacher.

Nice meeting you the other night. On the Lehigh, I use more crystal bugger. :)

Same to you man. Hopefully you guys learned a few things or at least had a good time listening to me ramble for 45 minutes.

Nice buggers! I like the color combos.

Back