Budget minded steelhead setup

B

Bobert540

Well I hit salmon river for the first time after many years of wanting to go. I am hooked and would like to be setup a little better as the 7/8 9' rod wore me out from casting for 3 days straight. I had the chance to try a switch Rod, redington chrome 8 weight and it casted like a dream. Not to mention how light it was. I struggled to get the distance with the 9' as I was in some tighter spots that limited my
Roll cast. Granted I am by no means a great caster but would like a longer Rod to cover more water i.e. Longer drifts.

I would like to do an 8wt w/large arbor reel. Rod length >10'.

I know tfo, redington and echo have great options but wanted to
Hear some personal opinions. Thanks in advance!

Just stick to that Redington you seemed to like. Lately, they've been putting out some really nice casting rods.

I enjoyed that redington but the $400 price tag for just the Rod is a little too salty for me at this time.

Check Sierra Trading Co. I think they had some prospectors up there for ~250. If you sign up for their emails you can get promo codes for like an extra 25% off.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/redington-prospector-spey-fishing-rod-with-tube-4-piece~p~9713v/?filterString=fishing-rods~d~190%2F&colorFamily=99

Just wait till spring The Great lakes shos should have season close out sales due to the poor fishing.

Redington Dually is being closed out at about 250
go with the 6 or 7 for steelhead paired with a Rio Chucker

Well I ended up going with a redington prospector 7wt paired with a redington behemoth reel lined with rio switch. Hope to get the line wet next week. I appreciate the input!

Bobert540 wrote:
I would like to do an 8wt w/large arbor reel. Rod length >10'.

You need to decide if you want (and have a practical need) for a switch rod or not. If you are not really into the swinging flies scene, stick with a 10ft rod in a conventional configuration if you just want longer rod.

Back