Brook Trout?

wildtrout2 wrote:
maxima12 wrote:
Native brookies, yep. Biggest me, was 17. Biggest pal was 19. Right here in Pa.
Maxima12
With all due respect, I'd have to see a pic of either one, or both of them. :-D

Yeah me too. I smell some b.s. in a few of these posts lately. Memory is a funny thing. No matter.

I don't think I've ever caught a native larger than 11" and that was a rare find for me. I once had a guy trying to tell me about this stream that was just full of 15" natives. I could tell this guy didn't fish like I fish just from talking to him..I was VERY skeptical and told him so. He went on a diatribe and told me I didn't know anything about fishing and that if I didn't believe him that I was clearly stupid. Oh, and we were talking about a small mountain freestone stream near Rickett's Glen. Some rather sizable brookies have come from Big Spring and whatnot.

jifigz wrote:
I don't think I've ever caught a native larger than 11" and that was a rare find for me. I once had a guy trying to tell me about this stream that was just full of 15" natives. I could tell this guy didn't fish like I fish just from talking to him..I was VERY skeptical and told him so. He went on a diatribe and told me I didn't know anything about fishing and that if I didn't believe him that I was clearly stupid. Oh, and we were talking about a small mountain freestone stream near Rickett's Glen. Some rather sizable brookies have come from Big Spring and whatnot.

Probably talking about either kitchen creek or Cole's run either way definitely no 15" brookies unless he was old enough to live in the early 1900's.

Don't know how to link to another thread but search unicorn, salvelinus took a toad not too long ago, 15+ I believe. One of the most beautiful fish pictures I've ever seen, they are out there!

Just checked out the unicorn link, wow!

A time back, several fishermen did not believe me, on the large brookies. I told them, I will go fishing tonight and show you the catch tomorrow. Threw down 5 on table and watched the jaws drop. None caught were 19". But all 5 were over 12. Just did not get a big one that night.

From not believing me, I decided never to tell! Only, really close friends have had the memory of this guided trip! Yes, there are witnesses. I would imagine they won't speak of it also. We laugh and talk about it in private sessions.

Big, tasty Gemmies. Nice.

I still think the unicorn pic may be suspect. While it's a beautiful fish, The black on the fins doesn't look very straight. The Brook trout that are stocked in Big Spring always look great, but it's the fins that are a giveaway.

Garbage bags of 12"+ sized brookies. Thats a new one. :roll: I'm sure the WCO's would love to know more about these plans of keeping 16 to 30 wild trout.

SteveG wrote:
I still think the unicorn pic may be suspect. While it's a beautiful fish, The black on the fins doesn't look very straight. The Brook trout that are stocked in Big Spring always look great, but it's the fins that are a giveaway.

Never heard that before. I went through some of my brookie pictures and did find some brookies that were wild with some black that wasn't straight but most were. I would still say with all certainty that the unicorn is wild.

Back