Brook Trout?

There are usually a lot of small brookies in Kettle. 2016 was a banner year and then a hot spell in July during extremely low water created quite a fish kill. So 2017 had low numbers all around.

As a few of you have alluded to, it is hard to tell stocked vs wild brookies so I can’t say with certainty what their origin is. However if you want to catch brookies in Kettle I can take you to at least 6 places where I would say “stand here and cast there”. If you catch 2 fish, one will be a brookie. Three of those places are below Cross Fork and 2 of them have no obvious trickle running in but there must be springs there because the brookies are always there.

I will still try to get u guys a pic

maybe this time

sorry pic is too big and I don't know to shrink to post

Any way the brookie was a good 10 plus inches!
The area around his lower mouth a creamy yellow traced next to it in very dark Black!
that was the reason I was wondering Native, Stocked Hold over or
what.
Seemed to me to be too big to be native in that part of Kettle.

Thanx
Steve 98

FYI the brookie was caught June 6 2019

dryflyguy wrote:
Most of the brookies I caught were in the 5-6 inch range, leading me to believe they were probably wild.
Would they even stock fish that size?

I don't know.

But if anyone has photos of what they think are wild brook trout from Kettle from the regs area on down, please post them up.

There are loads of brookies in Kettle further up of course. That's well known.

But further down, I hope there are, but I'm skeptical.

troutbert wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:
Most of the brookies I caught were in the 5-6 inch range, leading me to believe they were probably wild.
Would they even stock fish that size?

I don't know.

But if anyone has photos of what they think are wild brook trout from Kettle from the regs area on down, please post them up.

There are loads of brookies in Kettle further up of course. That's well known.

But further down, I hope there are, but I'm skeptical.

Didn't take any photos.

But I don't know why they couldn't be down that far in April
All of kettle creeks tribs hold WT.

There is a class A stream feeding into it, Trout Run, just above the section I fished the most - from Leidy bridge up to the oxbow

pcray1231 wrote:
I have to confess that I do not understand the difficulty people have posting pictures.

It's file size and inability to change it. You have to have, like, photography software to change file size. Most ppl take their pics on their phones and such a feature is not standard.

I've resorted to photobucket and linking it.

Anyway, that's clearly a stocked fish. Look at the genetics!

Just download an app from the Play Store or the Apple store and it is extremely simple..

Grayling.

Funny how much discussion a picture that never got posted can generate!

If you are posting direct from your phone, I can't help. But if you can get your pics to your computer, this free program will assist you greatly and is simple and intuitive to use:

http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/news-en.htm

I've been catching some of those invisible fish lately too

Steve98, if you want, you can PM me. I’ll post the elusive fish pic for ya.

My guess....wild rainbow....you can see it in how colorful the fins are.

mossyoakpenn wrote:
My guess....wild rainbow....you can see it in how colorful the fins are.

I'm still voting stocked brown. It's so easy to see that it's a stocked brown. Come on people!!!!

It's so obvious that it's a sasquatch - if you listen close you can hear it knocking on a tree!

Hi steve98, I guess you figured out that 1/2 the people on this site can be cruel the other 1/2 are very helpful and want to help you. I don't know about computers, resizing, file size etc. and struggle constantly to just tread water in the "new age''. It may take me an hour to get a photo on any site. It is simple as one said. An engine rebuild is simple to me! Just saying!! Take a deep breath and keep at it. The good 1/2 will help you here.

Back