Brook Trout Flies

GHM

GHM

My favorite species to target is brook trout. I have tied flies such as the elk hair caddis, neversink caddis, stimulator, adams, parachute, and hares ear. Any other flies anyone has luck on? If so I would appreciate a hook and size. Thanks for any replies!

- Gavin

I have done well on the flies you mention but a # 14 Royal Coachman or Patriot are good for prospecting.

-Foam hoppers and ants. Generally small, like a 14, but sometimes bigger works too (if you're finding fish that can get a big hopper in its mouth).

-Pat's rubber legs

-Maybe add some Irresistibles alongside your stimulators and the Coachman caddisflyer suggested. (I haven't used them for this, but I have a couple in my box that I intend to use. Seems like a good, high riding attractor for brookies.)

Brookies are typically pretty aggressive and not very hard to catch IF you don't spook them before presenting a fly. One dry fly that I like for Brookies is the Smoky Mountain Candy. Do an internet search to see a tying tutorial or recipe for it. It floats like a cork and they like the yellow body.

-Foam hoppers and ants. Generally small, like a 14, but sometimes bigger works too (if you're finding fish that can get a big hopper in its mouth).

-Pat's rubber legs

-Maybe add some Irresistibles alongside your stimulators and the Coachman caddisflyer suggested. (I haven't used them for this, but I have a couple in my box that I intend to use. Seems like a good, high riding attractor for brookies.)
When it comes to ants, what colors do you recommend?

Brookies are typically pretty aggressive and not very hard to catch IF you don't spook them before presenting a fly. One dry fly that I like for Brookies is the Smoky Mountain Candy. Do an internet search to see a tying tutorial or recipe for it. It floats like a cork and they like the yellow body.
That seems like a nice pattern, I’ll give it a shot.

Always carry a few nymphs, pheasant tail, hares ear, copper John for deep pools with structure so you can pull fish out from under structure.
Micro buggers are nice too after much rain and faster or high water on mountain streams.

One of my personal favorite subsurface flies when fishing brookies is a Adams wet tailed behind an Elk Hair Caddis.

Always carry a few nymphs, pheasant tail, hares ear, copper John for deep pools with structure so you can pull fish out from under structure.
Micro buggers are nice too after much rain and faster or high water on mountain streams.

One of my personal favorite subsurface flies when fishing brookies is a Adams wet tailed behind an Elk Hair Caddis.
Micro buggers are a great idea, thanks.

A Parachute Adams (14) has always been my go-to for natives. Royal Coachman is a good choice as well.

A #14 Royal Wulff has been my Go to fly for over 50 years. I rarely fish anything else.

Royal Coachman
14-16 dry fly hook
thread - tan
wing - calf tail
tail - stiff brown hackle or golden pheasant tail
body - peacock here and red floss
hackle - brown size 1 1/2 x hook gap

Reactions: GHM
Anything that floats and is close to the size of an insect, including cigarette butts. As one former colleague and excellent angler says; “they’re suicidal maniacs.”

My favorite species to target is brook trout. I have tied flies such as the elk hair caddis, neversink caddis, stimulator, adams, parachute, and hares ear. Any other flies anyone has luck on? If so I would appreciate a hook and size. Thanks for any replies!

- Gavin
Dear Gavin,

I'm an older guy who doesn't see so well anymore when fishing dry flies. To that end the H&L Variant is a great prospecting fly for brook trout and even brown trout on smaller wild trout streams. It will even catch fish on bigger more pressured waters too. I like it because to these old eyes even in a size 16 it looks like a floating marshmallow with those billowing Wulff-style wings. Don't forget Humpies or Trudes, those are easy to see too and catch fish!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Second Tim on the Humpies (I prefer yellow). Those and the Ausable Wulff are my go-tos.

Reactions: GHM
Dear Gavin,

I'm an older guy who doesn't see so well anymore when fishing dry flies. To that end the H&L Variant is a great prospecting fly for brook trout and even brown trout on smaller wild trout streams. It will even catch fish on bigger more pressured waters too. I like it because to these old eyes even in a size 16 it looks like a floating marshmallow with those billowing Wulff-style wings. Don't forget Humpies or Trudes, those are easy to see too and catch fish!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks Tim, I’ll tie it and give it a shot.

I almost always fish whatever fly happens to be tied on from my last outing. If that doesn't work I go for a green weenie. I don't think they're picky. Definitely spooky tho.

Back