Brook Trout Flies

To me, part (a big part) of the fun fishing for brookies is be able to use big dry flies.
I agree, although I get the majority of them on my dropper. It's harder to pin smaller fish on flies with longer shanks such as stimulators. The overall short range fishing to catch these fish requires good maneuvering to get one into position to cast without spooking them.

Reactions: GHM
I agree, although I get the majority of them on my dropper. It's harder to pin smaller fish on flies with longer shanks such as stimulators. The overall short range fishing to catch these fish requires good maneuvering to get one into position to cast without spooking them.
That’s my problem, I always spook them or have a bad hook set, too slow of a reaction.

The first year I fished for brooks I used a soft hackle, Partridge one orange or yellow. Worked fine. Then I tried drys, and liked the thrill of seeing the splash. My favorite was the Royal wulff, But lots of stuff works and like some said, sometimes they can be picky. makes for a fun day.

I like parachutes (Adams, Purple Haze, or Ants) for my brook trout fishing here in Shenandoah National Park. I also enjoy tying Humpies so I use those as well.

I just tied up five of these in 14s, 16s and an 18. I have a sneaking suspicion that the brookies will like them just fine.

IMG 20230929 123655026

Almost reminds me of a micro inch worm.
Gavin:

Below are some lousy pictures of my aforementioned "brookie flies."

I guess I should name the pattern like all of the other famous and infamous fly anglers/fly tiers out there so let's call it:

"Bamboozle's Boob Brookie Bait." :cool:

They are nothing more than a short length (maybe 3/8" -1/4") of 1/8" - 3/16" diameter cylindrical foam lashed to a size 16 or 18 hook in the center. I used to buy the foam from Bill Skilton but sadly he is out of the foam fly material business, however I think Wapsi offers similar stuff.

I wrap a base layer of the same color thread on the hook first, to help stabilize the foam. I always use 3/0 non-bonded thread with foam because smaller sizes of thread can more easily cut through the foam.

I like them in yellow & orange but any color will work. If it makes you feel any better about yourself or the brook trout, tie them in black, brown or olive and convince yourself the fish take them for an insect not a Jujubes or strike indicators... ;)

If you are sober, they take approximately 30 seconds to tie.

Good luck if you tie some and try some!!!

Attachments

• Orange.jpg
    Orange.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Yellow.jpg
    Yellow.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 11
Gavin:

I guess I should name the pattern like all of the other famous and infamous fly anglers/fly tiers out there so let's call it:

They are nothing more than a short length (maybe 3/8" -1/4") of 1/8" - 3/16" diameter cylindrical foam lashed to a size 16 or 18 hook in the center. I used to buy the foam from Bill Skilton but sadly he is out of the foam fly material business, however I think Wapsi offers similar stuff.

I wrap a base layer of the same color thread on the hook first, to help stabilize the foam. I always use 3/0 non-bonded thread with foam because smaller sizes of thread can more easily cut through the foam.

I like them in yellow & orange but any color will work. If it makes you feel any better about yourself or the brook trout, tie them in black, brown or olive and convince yourself the fish take them for an insect not a Jujubes or strike indicators... ;)

A fishing buddy used to fish small "ant" patterns like that. They worked very well, but brookies often got deep hooked. With flies that are larger and shaggier, deep hooking is reduced.

Gavin:

Foam ant with no hackle

I find myself using these the most for brookies these days.

Vv3xy58.jpg

It's basically a stimulator but with a hacklestacked hackle over the body and trigger point wing. I tie them with green bodies as well.

Gavin:

21 is a few years away yet so shouldn’t take too long. 😁

Back