Brook Trout Flies

There are times when brookies are really hitting, and then the fly choice doesn't matter much.

But I've often seen where one fly works much better than another. When the water is low and clear, a terrestrial pattern will often outfish by a wide margin popular flies such as Stimulators and Wulffs.

When the water is up, Stimulators are great. But no so great when it's low and clear.

There are times when brookies are really hitting, and then the fly choice doesn't matter much.

But I've often seen where one fly works much better than another. When the water is low and clear, a terrestrial pattern will often outfish by a wide margin popular flies such as Stimulators and Wulffs.

When the water is up, Stimulators are great. But no so great when it's low and clear.
I generally agree with this.
Considering the time of year, when water is low and clear it is often late summer and terrestrials are often more prevalent than other hatches.

Even still, while I often just go to a size 12 Elk Hair Caddis most times and it seems to always work, I've also often thought it's profile is similar to a spent beetle with it's wings open.

Reactions: GHM
Another fly not mentioned here, which is a great searching pattern during this time of year is the brook trout fin wet fly.

It's getting close to that time of year and the males should be soon jockeying for position as the dominant male. This fly is killer during these times.
Ive also found it works well on brown trout in mixed population watersheds. TroutfinBrookie fin 002Trout fin

Last edited:
Here’s one I came up with a few years back with Brook trout in mind. It’s tied on a size 12 hook, kind of like a cdc stimulator type of thing. It produced very well for native brookies albeit didn’t stay on top very well after getting slimed up and waterlogged. However, it didn’t matter they were all over it whether on top, in the film or under the surface - didn’t matter at all. As was pointed out in some of the above posts I think yellow is definitely an attractor color for native brookies.

IMG 5237

I had a few nice ones today on a size 16 parachute Adams.

Attachments

• IMG_20230927_084013363~2.jpg
    IMG_20230927_084013363~2.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 17
All good suggestions, but occasionally I like to go old-school with a pair of winged wets. Like to use a dull one with a bright one and see what happens. Typically use them in the 14 to 12 range. For the dull one my favorite is the Pass Lake wet. For the bright one I used to mostly use a Silver Doctor, but now use the simpler to tie Teal, Blue and Silver which has roughly the same vibe. Back in the day I really loved tying the complex old wets and the Silver Doctor with its married wing was my favorite. Now I prefer to keep it simple.

One day up on the upper Willowemoc I was doing poorly on the usual dries and nymphs and switched to winged wets and the brookies started to respond. Some days that is what works. Brookies are not always easy.

Here’s one I came up with a few years back with Brook trout in mind. It’s tied on a size 12 hook, kind of like a cdc stimulator type of thing. It produced very well for native brookies albeit didn’t stay on top very well after getting slimed up and waterlogged. However, it didn’t matter they were all over it whether on top, in the film or under the surface - didn’t matter at all. As was pointed out in some of the above posts I think yellow is definitely an attractor color for native brookies.

View attachment 1641232435
Is that pattern just what it looks like? CDC tail and wing, dubbed body, and hackle at the front?

Red wool pulled out of a plaid woolrich hunting jacket. Wrap wool around hook and leave a tag end.

I walk along small streams and toss little pieces of sticks in and the little trout will come and hit them. I suspect anything that hits that surface of a pool gets serious attention. The bigger fish are another story, My biggest Brook Trout have been on streamers. My very biggest on a Clouser Crayfish, the one made with turkey feathers I believe.

When brookie fishing if I get tired of drying & redressing soaked flies with feather & fur, I have a couple of special "brookie" flies...

They are short lengths (about a 3/8" - 1/2") of 1/8" diameter cylindrical foam in yellow, orange or brown lashed to a bare hook. The bookies slam them when they land and often after a drift.

I don't know what they think they are except possibly Jujubes or pieces of foam... ;)

When brookie fishing if I get tired of drying & redressing soaked flies with feather & fur, I have a couple of special "brookie" flies...

They are short lengths (about a 3/8" - 1/2") of 1/8" diameter cylindrical foam in yellow, orange or brown lashed to a bare hook. The bookies slam them when they land and often after a drift.

I don't know what they think they are except possibly Jujubes or pieces of foam... ;)
Almost reminds me of a micro inch worm.

I tie them out of foam in insect green although they are much longer than my 'brookie bugs."

Parachute Adams (14) and forget about it. ;)

I've been fishing for brookies a couple of times this week. I tied up some #14 and 16 parachute Adams with a pink post because they were so easy to see. I've lost all 3 of them to fish (a really nice male brookie this morning) or trees and I need to tie up a bunch of others. You're right, really not much reason to use anything else if not for the fun of just having a lot of choices available.

Back