boots or not. super wader fun time question mark

gfen

gfen

speaking of waders, someone give me a compelling reason that i want stockingfeet over bootfoot, exactly, coz i'm not seeing it.

although i'm seeing a pressing need for a decision right now. so i can call in a favour. who will likely make a comment in here about how i never call him.

its coz i never know when. and work sucks. man, does work suck. it is not super fun time happy.

so, waders. everyone says "buy stocking foot," but in hindsight, i'm not sure why. although i suppose seperate boots for wet wadering is in its way, a compelling reason. hmm. anything else? weigh in!

Imagine wearing your work shoes to the stream thats what boot foot waders feel like. Call Ed some time he's a nice guy and a joy to fish with.

Buy stocking foots and good boots!

Dear gfen,

You hit on one reason, you can use your wading shoes for wet wading. Not everyone does that, but I cannot stand to wear waders once Memorial Day comes around.

I think that one thing you may find when you look for waders and try to fit into bootfoots is that they are made in a much more limited range of body sizes. Custom sizes are available from some manufacturers but they are dearly expensive.

It's much easier to find stocking foot waders and then add the shoes than it is to find a proper fitting pair of bootfoot waders for many people on the larger or smaller end of the body type spectrum.

Whatever you do be sure to try the waders on before purchasing. I can tell you with authority that different manufacturers definitely build their waders differently and what fits you from one brand may not be the size you need in another brand. If it matters, I find Orvis waders to be the most generously sized waders out there.

I want to add one thing, if you plan to do much saltwater fly fishing you will probably find that you prefer bootfoot waders. Seperate shoes, gravel guards, and sand lead to problems.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I suppose if someone made a great boot, and attached it to a great fitting pair of waders, I'd take a look. Drying the inside of the waders (they're not that breathable in warm weather) is easier with stockingfoots. Problems with neoprene feet and their attachment points make me think that I'd like to have a pair of breathable bootfoot waders, but it comes back to the great boot coupled with great fitting waders thing.... I also tend to wash my breathables off in the shower, and I did that once with boots...LOL!!!

EDIT: Looks like three of us hit the Submit button at the same time!

Comfort and support are the main reason to wear stocking foot waders IMO.
I dont believe I'd want to be wading streams like the yough, penns, and the little juniata with boot foots

i assure you, that won't happen. however, the answer confuses me. why do you state that comfort for those three streams would supercede my desire for max comfort whereever i may go? i am a leisure slut, and i demand to be comfortable no matter how unfamous my water might be.

IMO Storage is easier for travel. The SF waders fit more like a pair of pants rather than a garbage bag, meaning there isnt all that excess room in the legs and chest. And you can just buy a new pair of boots when they wear out, instead of replacing the whole thing. Its one of those things once you make the switch you'll never go back.

But you dont fish anymore anyway. If I were you Id invest in one of these lavish office chairs. It would make trolling hurt less.:lol:

Are you a Staples pro-guide?

BrookieBuster101 wrote:
.And you can just buy a new pair of boots when they wear out, instead of replacing the whole thing.

Oh, I bought into that argument, but I found it interesting that the wadery bit failed before the boot bit did, and when one fully cut loose, they both cut loose. I'm not convinced the wear out part is compelling, and was hoping to hear of less issue with leakage betwixt the boot and the breathable bit. alas. does not seem to be the way it is. so, i spend more up front.

edit: discovery learning planet is running a teevee show where chimps attack each other over date trees. reminds me of PAFF. pick your chimp side. this is all for this tangent.

No, they're just "Great looking chairs that will also make you more comfortable." but I digress.

Waders can be fixed. Boots can too, but its a pain and often temporary. Ive owned the same pair of waders for probably 4 years now. 3 weeks ago I patched the first leak i ever had in them but the boots' soles are split and the seams are tearing. Next thing I buy will most likely be only a pair of boots.... unless this rain slows down and I get some work, I might replace both.

Edit: ISweartogod, If you spot burn my date tree!!!!:evil:

gfen wrote:

i assure you, that won't happen. however, the answer confuses me. why do you state that comfort for those three streams would supercede my desire for max comfort whereever i may go? i am a leisure slut, and i demand to be comfortable no matter how unfamous my water might be.

Wading gear with good foot SUPPORT really helps when wading big, rocky streams.
On the other hand, on streams where the wading is relatively easy - boot foots would be OK.
I wear boot foot canvas hippers on small streams - where I'm seldom wading in water over my knees - with no problems. And they're faster and easier to get in and out of - one advantage of them. Along with more durability.
And though they're not quite as COMFORTABLE as the stocking foots, I'll take that trade off for their other advantages there.
But if I only had one pair of waders for all of my fishing, it would be stocking foots

fair enough. i'd been labouring under the idea the boot was as supportive as any other. that's a compelling reason you win the thread.

lock it down, beetfoot is a stupid idea.

There is an awesome boot foot wader out there made by Orvis. Having said that, I had to send them back even with the great deal that they were. Sizing issue in this case. I replaced them with leaky Simms G3's. But the G3s are comfortable.

Tall, big boy needs stocking foot with good supportive boots. You can alternate felt and rubber boots is you want. You can dry the stocking foot more easily. You can dry the boots more easily. You have options. You blow out boots you can get boots without replacing waders. You blow out waders you can replace them without replacing boots. Boot foot are easier. Stocking foot are more comfortable. They offer more support in the ankles, etc.

But think about it. How many premium boot foots do you see out there? Not that you roll that way, but it says something. I think.

dunno, to be honest haven't cared to look. my junk held up just fine. now it hasn't held up just fine. the sole of the boot falling off has rendered moot my current method of incasing feet in plastic bags and slathering every seam with fish tank sealant, though.

gfen wrote:

....who will likely make a comment in here about how i never call him.

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The clock is ticking........

This was rather long so maybe it has been offered, but here is my take:

bootfoot wader has boot price built in, albeit less than the separates.

waders and boots wear at different rates. Waders can be ripped beyond repair while boots can be in good shape. Restoration of dry leg and sanity costs less this time around.

bootfoot waders rarely provide a good hold on the foot, which is an advantage somewhat only in ice-cold conditions, where the need for good circulation to the extremeties is important.

No, I was sold on "better support." That was my compellinization.

People who fish all winter seem to like the bootfoots for that. Claim that they are warmer.
So, there are some advantages to both.
It just depends on your style of fishing I guess.

Don't know if you're serious about the plastic bags - but it's been a long time since I've seen somebody do that
Do you have a preferred brand that works best for that?

dryflyguy wrote:
Don't know if you're serious about the plastic bags - but it's been a long time since I've seen somebody do that
Do you have a preferred brand that works best for that?

Any that come for free, really. Its about budget, and maximizing my value.

I recommend the 3 mil, 42 Gallon contractor bags. If you need to save even more, buy the generic.

Back