Boots for surf

rancid waders

Does any have insight on boots for stocking foot waders for the surf , beside required drain holes. I will be spending much more time taking my rod for long walks on the Beach, thx in advance.

Does any have insight on boots for stocking foot waders for the surf , beside required drain holes. I will be spending much more time taking my rod for long walks on the Beach, thx in advance.
If you plan to fish the surf even a few times I recommend you buy a pair of bootfoot waders for the salt, even if it's a cheap pair.

The sand will destroy both your stocking foot waders and boots in short order, so buying a second pair of bootfoots waders will actually end up being the most cost effective alternative in the long run.

surf or sound? I'd wear booties in the sound but I just barefoot it in the surf in summer. if not summer, what tom said.

In late September I usually wear boot-foot waders at and before sunrise and again at night, but during the day I surf fish in Crocs. They’re fine for walking, although I probably wouldn’t use them if I was fishing a rocky or rip-rapped shoreline. I also surf fished in Teva Sandals for a number of seasons.

Save the stocking foot waders for freshwater. No matter how much duck tape you use it’s impossible to keep the sand out of stocking foots and wading boots. Even a little sand will put pinholes in your stocking feet in short order. Also, walking with sand in your wading boots suck and trust me sand will get in there especially through the drain holes. Do yourself a favor and get bootfoots for the salt. they will be cheaper, they will last longer, and believe it or not, will be more comfortable to walk in. At least I find them more comfortable, others may not.

Bootfoots, when necessary, and only when necessary.

Mine are just hippers. If the water’s cold enough to where I need to wear the hip boots, I’m not going in past ankle deep anyway. They’re basically just there to keep my feet from getting wet.

Surf / sandy beach fishing = boot-foots for me. Also very useful for in winter and extreme cold water fishing.

I listened to the conventional wisdom on bootfoots in the surf for decades, and I finally decided my old feet deserved better a few years ago. I have used stocking foots exclusively in the surf for a few years now.

If you are plugging and chasing blitzes and on your feet all day, sometimes in and out of your vehicle 12 times, it just makes sense to be good to your feet.

A couple things to consider: Waders with the neoprene cuff are going to do better at keeping the sand out of the boots. I use a pair of Simms G3s that I brought back to life with some spray seal in the can (again, against all conventional wisdom, but works great, but that is another story).

Rinse them well after every trip.

As far as boots, I use Simms Freestoners because they have plastic lace materials. Cleans lines too, basic structure, not a lot of other stuff sewn on to capture sand.

With those precautions, I say go with your gut and give your feet the comfort they deserve!

Oh, and jetties. Bootfoots on jetties = death?

Last edited:
When I last fished salt the name Red Ball was the wader of choice. I planned on doing things beach front for now till I find the X. Then more till I find the x within the X. Thanks for the advice guys

When I last fished salt the name Red Ball was the wader of choice. I planned on doing things beach front for now till I find the X. Then more till I find the x within the X. Thanks for the advice guys
Yes, Red Ball was it and indestructible! Not too comfortable though 😆

You might want to get the kind with carbide studs in the soles. Sometimes if you fish off the beach, its better to fish off the rocks instead if the fish are not off the beach and are herding bait into the rocks, rubber soled shoes or wading boots have no use on those slippery surfaces especially if you hook a large fish and need to get close to it, to release it.

Easy on /easy off quick release buckle cleated sandals with replaceable carbide cleats work very well for slippery surf rocks and jetty fishing when using boot-foots

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 10-18-52 Casttrax Cleated Overshoes Korkers.png

Back