Nearly the entire state is black and blue on USGS

Attachments

• milesburg confluence BE and Spring.JPG
    milesburg confluence BE and Spring.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 137
  • tallyrand falls.JPG
    tallyrand falls.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 132
I agree with the posts that worms are hard to beat in the somewhat cold muddy water. I also find the fish are right on the bank (literally) during high water. I assume it just to much current for stockies.

Trout Fishing ~ “ The reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.”

Blown out isn’t all it’s cracked up to be!
I set a challenge Monday after looking at the weather. What if I just pushed through it and ignored the adversity? What if I fished the next two days hard? What if I reported my results on paflyfish? Skunk or not I committed………. Although I’m sure I wouldn’t have posted about a skunk haha.
Viewer discretion is advised……

A poem titled: What if?

What if you did fish?
What if you fished all day yesterday and all day today?
What if you saw no other fishermen in 3 miles of water covered?
What if you fished 4” streamers?
What if you fished in two different counties in North Central Pa?
What if you saw hundreds of trout rises each day?
What if you stuck with only the streamer?
What if these creeks looked like Willy Wonka’s chocolate river?
What if you got not one, but two golden tickets? What if you only had one bite each day?
What if you landed both fish?
IMG 0966
IMG 0972

What if yesterday you caught a 21” brown?
What if today you caught an 18” brown?

I know it’s a lot of what if’s?

If you don’t go Saturday, you can only wonder…….What If?

Had an excellent day yesterday and today! Thought I’d share. One bite each day and one fish caught each day made it worth staying in the rain and casting for hours.
It was an interesting wet cold wrinkle handed hoot!
I’d do it again! I think….

Just trying to spread some positivity to those headed out Saturday! Be safe and have fun, Good luck!

All I know is the weather is always right.
IMG 6467

video

you know its rocking when the falls at Talleyrand park (spring creek) look like this. These pictures were taken before the peak
The photo of the dam reminds me that it’s American shad migration time, as well as the initial or prime migration time for striped bass and numerous river/stream resident species. These high flows and inundated dams will allow many fish to pass structures that they probably can’t get past during many or most springs. I’m particularly wishing to learn if this will be the case at Fairmount Dam, located at the head-of-tide on the Schuylkill R in Philly, as inundation is more effective at passing fish than fishways and almost certainly American Shad, Striped Bass, Hickory Shad, and Blueback Herring are present at the base of the dam by now.

Penns. So high right now.

the difference between a bad day of fishing and a good day is another 12lb mushroom anchor on you tippet

the difference between a bad day of fishing and a good day is another 12lb mushroom anchor on you tippet
Thanks for the tip. I have gathered my worms. Now, I will just remove some of the 12 oz (I know. You said 12 POUND) mushroom weights that holds down my goose floater decoys, and I am good to go.

Here is my rig in case anyone needs pointers for opening day:

4'6" Shakespeare microlite rod paired with a spincast reel, probably a Zebco. Maybe, just maybe, I will bust out a Pfleuger Prez. Anyways, 4 lb test line which is going to the hook, size 10, extra barbed, and then drop shot to the 12 oz mushroom decoy weight.

I really don't see what could go wrong....

Thanks for the tip. I have gathered my worms. Now, I will just remove some of the 12 oz (I know. You said 12 POUND) mushroom weights that holds down my goose floater decoys, and I am good to go.

4'6" Shakespeare microlite rod paired with a spincast reel, probably a Zebco. Maybe, just maybe, I will bust out a Pfleuger Prez. Anyways, 4 lb test line which is going to the hook, size 10, extra barbed, and then drop shot to the 12 oz mushroom decoy weight.

a great caster can cast any rig on any rod:LOL:

Trout Fishing ~ “ The reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.”

Blown out isn’t all it’s cracked up to be!
I set a challenge Monday after looking at the weather. What if I just pushed through it and ignored the adversity? What if I fished the next two days hard? What if I reported my results on paflyfish? Skunk or not I committed………. Although I’m sure I wouldn’t have posted about a skunk haha.
Viewer discretion is advised……

A poem titled: What if?

What if you did fish?
What if you fished all day yesterday and all day today?
What if you saw no other fishermen in 3 miles of water covered?
What if you fished 4” streamers?
What if you fished in two different counties in North Central Pa?
What if you saw hundreds of trout rises each day?
What if you stuck with only the streamer?
What if these creeks looked like Willy Wonka’s chocolate river?
What if you got not one, but two golden tickets? What if you only had one bite each day?
What if you landed both fish? View attachment 1641235185View attachment 1641235186
What if yesterday you caught a 21” brown?
What if today you caught an 18” brown?

I know it’s a lot of what if’s?

If you don’t go Saturday, you can only wonder…….What If?

Had an excellent day yesterday and today! Thought I’d share. One bite each day and one fish caught each day made it worth staying in the rain and casting for hours.
It was an interesting wet cold wrinkle handed hoot!
I’d do it again! I think….

Just trying to spread some positivity to those headed out Saturday! Be safe and have fun, Good luck!
How's your fingers feeling?

this could work

You could have just said "Ill be euronymphing".......

I was just looking at my local weather and I didn't see much more rain forecasted between now and Saturday. Small streams will be in good shape on Saturday.. That's my prediction.

If you're hoping to fish a larger stocked stream, you may be out of luck.
Dear jifigz,

If the weather allows me to burn the Winter's accumulated detritus in my yard on Saturday, I'm going full on John Lee Pettimore to quote Steve Earle from "Copperhead Road" and heading up the hollow.

Please God, keep the wind under 30 knots on Saturday so I can just burn!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

My local creek today..time to swing for the fence

Attachments

• IMG_20240402_145410441.jpg
    IMG_20240402_145410441.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 72
My local creek today..time to swing for the fence
Dear rustbeltwilds,

Dude, that's F-11 Firetiger Rapala water if I've even seen it. ;)

A long time ago in a land far,far away I had a buddy named Whitey. We'd meet him often during prime time on the narrows of BFC in Clinton County.

One time we met him the Saturday morning after a turd floating "tunderstorm" as Whitey put it being from Wilkes-Barre, had rolled through. Terry and I got out and rigged up our Firetiger rigs and proceeded to light the place up.

Whitey said, "I tink I got a spinning rig back in da truck." We gave him a Firetiger Rapala and we had a day for the ages!

That was probably 35 years ago or more. Whitey never went to BFC without Rapalas again.

Sadly, we lost touch years ago. I don't know if Whitey is still around? But that day was epic.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

All the streams around me are raging waters!! Loyalhanna was up to 12ft pretty crazy!! Now it’s down to 8ft and still raging! I’ve never seen it crest so many spots as it did yesterday!

Back