Blown out opening day for trout

Our snowpack is dismal every year. Because we live in Pennsylvania, not the Rockies or the Sierra Nevada..
Yeah, "snowpack" and PA don't really go together, at least not in a meaningful way impacting our water table levels. Even if we had 2 feet of snow that was slowly melting, that only equals like 2 inches of rain.

Our snowpack is dismal every year. Because we live in Pennsylvania, not the Rockies or the Sierra Nevada..

Everyone can relax, the runoff is here!

A month ago, I fished (with salmonoid coincidently) a borderline blown out small stream, and had a really good day. Since then, the gauges in the watershed we were fishing (Pine Creek) dropped into the orange and red (relative to this time of year). Now they’re back to blown out and then some probably. Point is, for freestone streams, their condition is largely determined by the last 2 weeks or so of rainfall, or lack thereof. This rain is good now, but would be better in May, even better in June, and even better in July or August. But, for PA, meteorologically speaking, these broad large scale rain events that you see in the Spring and Fall are rare from about the middle of May to the middle of October. Outside of a tropical based system, thunderstorms are typically how we get our rain that time of year. And clearly, that can be very hit or miss.

I was going to take my boys, but not going to waste my time with a blown out crick.I do have a few stocked lakes in my area. They get so crowded though.....no different than the cricks but we can usually find a spot if we walk a little bit.

And yes, I detest the whole scene, but they get a kick out of it and I get a kick out of them getting a kick out of it.

I second DFG's Post #12.

Yeah, "snowpack" and PA don't really go together, at least not in a meaningful way impacting our water table levels. Even if we had 2 feet of snow that was slowly melting, that only equals like 2 inches of rain.
I don't think PA has had a snowpack since (striking) coal miners conjured one up in the late 70s.

I am planning on getting a jar of Uncle Mike's salmon eggs and using LOTS of BB sized shot to get er' down. Then, I am going to wear a very trustworthy life jacket and, with about 6 feet of line out of the rod tip, jump in and just float along with my bait ticking bottom. I should be able to get a really, really nice long float. I imagine I will at least catch a couple.
You better have your lawn chairs out at 2am or I will beat you to your spot.

In anticipation of the conditions I was out picking up “garden hackle” in the gutters and streets last night. Canned corn and paste baits work well under such conditions too. And with the falling, cold water temps associated with high flows, bait fishing is the go-to method based on creel surveys and other observational experiences. Falling temps substantially modify fish behavior.

As for high water moving the trout around, there’s no guarantee of that. Stocked trout that move do not necessarily move in association with high flows. During the stocked trout residency study the N Br Muddy Ck, York Co, was stocked under bank full, muddy water conditions and at two spots during the stocking event the stream was overflowing its banks. One could reasonably expect that under such conditions with no experience in this new environment and with no visual cues, movement would be substantial. Residency measured at the randomly selected stocking points was 90% or more when measured at least a week later.

As for wild trout, during the Spruce Ck wild BT study in 1972, following the passage of Hurricane Agnes over 70% of the trout were right back in the same locations within their territorial mosaic where they had been found prior to the flood.
I have found this to be mostly true. My preferred muddy water bait would be minnows. I would fish them where you have undercut banks in eddy areas. If you scouted areas before season and know where the trout were they will likely still be there but in the softer water. Another bait besides the ones Mike mentioned would be Velveeta cheese. I have done well fishing in chocolate milk conditions on that one. I do have a few spots that are miles downstream from stocked areas that I will sometimes check later in the season and they will occasionally produce a big fish, usually a Rainbow but sometimes a Brown Trout.

Theres no better bait in muddy water than worms, no better. That said its been at least 20 years since i have used one

In anticipation of the conditions I was out picking up “garden hackle” in the gutters and streets last night. Canned corn and paste baits work well under such conditions too. And with the falling, cold water temps associated with high flows, bait fishing is the go-to method based on creel surveys and other observational experiences. Falling temps substantially modify fish behavior.

As for high water moving the trout around, there’s no guarantee of that. Stocked trout that move do not necessarily move in association with high flows. During the stocked trout residency study the N Br Muddy Ck, York Co, was stocked under bank full, muddy water conditions and at two spots during the stocking event the stream was overflowing its banks. One could reasonably expect that under such conditions with no experience in this new environment and with no visual cues, movement would be substantial. Residency measured at the randomly selected stocking points was 90% or more when measured at least a week later.

As for wild trout, during the Spruce Ck wild BT study in 1972, following the passage of Hurricane Agnes over 70% of the trout were right back in the same locations within their territorial mosaic where they had been found prior to the flood.
That is amazing. I always wondered about the impact of Agnes. I think we did have a tghread about that a long time ago.

I haven't fished seriously on Opening Day in a LONG time and my most recent outings were a few hours on a few streams of my youth with my young nephews.

However despite how I feel about the whole thing, I feel sorry for the kids and other folks who wait on this event all year long. For the last few weeks, I've seen excited crowds in the "fishing department" at my local Walmart buying a new combo or looking for that magic lure or bait, and after all that...

...it's going to be a chocolate milk affair which isn't fun for most, especially the little kids.

I hope for their sake the sun is out on Saturday, the water drops a bit and they all have good time!!

Theres no better bait in muddy water than worms, no better. That said its been at least 20 years since i have used one
I'm probably gonna pick some up this evening out of my yard so I can take some kids bait fishing.

So uh, what happens to all the trout that just got stocked when every stream in the state is blown out? Do they get washed into the Susquehanna or just move around in the blown up streams or stay put in some hole until the whole thing blows over?

So uh, what happens to all the trout that just got stocked when every stream in the state is blown out? Do they get washed into the Susquehanna or just move around in the blown up streams or stay put in some hole until the whole thing blows over?
Read what Mike posted above from his experience as a fisheries manager (retired) for the PFBC.

Sorry it was my fault, I had a good outing on dries fishing Penns this past weekend. Back to the grimy euronymphing deep I go.

Time to tie up some catskill style squirmys
I prolly need to take some blame too.

I fished a central pa stream all last week.
6 days in a row of wonderful fishing with Hendricksons, stoneflies, and BWO's.
Had to go home Friday because it was Easter weekend.
Otherwise I would have stayed longer.

Had planned on going back out and fishing Grannoms all this week.
Not very likely they'll still be hatching by the time streams get fishable again.
Next year I guess....

This is the Neshannock creek in Volant this morning. That white sign is where the bank normally is.
IMG 1334

National weather just extended flood warning for SC PA to 2:00 am Saturday.

So about 6 hours for it to drop before 8 am kickoff.

“So, your saying there’s a chance”

Might chase wild bows in My next week. Or brookies on Sunday here.

I was just looking at my local weather and I didn't see much more rain forecasted between now and Saturday. Small streams will be in good shape on Saturday.. That's my prediction.

If you're hoping to fish a larger stocked stream, you may be out of luck.

Back