Blown out opening day for trout

There was a thread started about that incident. Very sad, especially as young as that guy was.

Last edited:
dont worry guys, i set up two rain barrels on my house. so we wont see rain for months now lol.
nevermind, rain barrels are filling up....at least i get some free water. looks like more rain mid week. better then drought though. my camping/fishing trip is looking good so far so thats a plus.

We’ve had over 6” rain in the last 11 days, at least in the western part of the state. This is turning into the “too much of a good thing” phase of spring rains. At least it will be an epic season for Morels.

Interesting stats from Pittsburgh NWS

A few stats after running today's PIT climate data:
🌧️4/11's 2.77" of rain shattered the old daily record of 1.46" (1933)
🌧️4/11 was the 25th wettest day on record (records back to 1871)
🌧️Month-to-date, PIT is now 6.11" above normal
🌧️This is already the 3rd wettest April on record (and likely the 1st by the end)
🌧️This is the wettest 1st 11 days for any month on record
🌧️This is the only time the 1st and 2nd greatest daily rainfall for a month have occurred in the same year (4/2 & 4/11)

Ended up exploring a new wild stream during opening weekend. Couldn't catch a thing anywhere I went after this but was finding fish in every hole you would think there would be a fish. Must be a killer stream when you are not fishing it after 4 inches of rain and while it is snowing.
F59DD295 40F2 4AD4 9547 9F98078F36A5 1 105 c
3F3AF299 FAF3 46A0 B06D 331FC6B10CA1 1 105 c
789C74B8 474A 4E1E 9926 E17DB716ABE2 1 105 c

Ended up exploring a new wild stream during opening weekend. Couldn't catch a thing anywhere I went after this but was finding fish in every hole you would think there would be a fish. Must be a killer stream when you are not fishing it after 4 inches of rain and while it is snowing.
View attachment 1641235389View attachment 1641235390View attachment 1641235391

I know where you were! I fished that stream in early September a few years ago. The water in the main stem at the base of the falls was 70F. The trib that comes in just below that, and sinks a bit at its mouth was 58F. Below that trib, the water cooled to 64F.

I didn’t fish above the trib, but fished below and caught a few Brookies and lost a pretty decent Brown. Cool stream, but a lot of it’s posted and the stretch on public land is clearly marginal temp wise until that trib.

More rain/storms tonight center of state. yikes.
I happened to be watching the NC flyshop live steam cam when Volant got hammered. It looked bad and then the stream died, must have lost power. Between the flooding and this it’s been a tough spring for them.

Back