Blown out opening day for trout

krayfish2

krayfish2

Most streams will be bank full or over their banks for opening day. If you are going to venture out, exercise common sense. I'm expecting that there will be some near drowning experiences to chase mush bellies.

Just came to post same thing. USGS gauge on Yellow Breeches is currently below flood stage, but with another day of rain, will likely be close.

The streams will be blown out to an extent that I do not recall in any recent past. Should make for some more holdovers, however.

Last edited:
Me and my buddy were just gonna spread out a big net bank to bank like those dudes in Alaska

central pa: Williamsburg PA got 4.03 and huntingdon 2.90 inches as of this morning. More coming :cry:

- Additional rainfall amounts of 1.5 to 2.5 inches on top of
the 1 to 4 inches of rain that has already fallen will
maintain an elevated risk of inundation and river flooding
across central Pennsylvania.

IMO, this is a wonderful thing. Instead of having low water with stacked up fish, they'll be moved around. The "freezer fillers" are going to have to work a little harder this spring to "limit out"!

Last edited:
central pa: Williamsburg PA got 4.03 and huntingdon 2.90 inches as of this morning. More coming :cry:

- Additional rainfall amounts of 1.5 to 2.5 inches on top of
the 1 to 4 inches of rain that has already fallen will
maintain an elevated risk of inundation and river flooding
across central Pennsylvania.

Somewhere, wildtrout2 is pumped

I took this week off hoping to get some fishing in, instead I got a lot of tying done. Happy though for the rain, and there’s always next week. Looks beautiful Wednesday and Thursday.

It stinks IMO.
Right when the best hatches of the year are ramping up, everything is flooded.

I'd rather see a deluge like this in summer.
When It would really alleviate low flow/high water temp concerns..

And just because the water table is really charged up now, doesn't mean all will be well by July

And just because the water table is really charged up now, doesn't mean all will be well by July
I agree on both counts.

If you're referring to me, I couldn't care less what effect this rain has on Opening Day. I don't even start fishing until late May, or early June, depending on water temps on the wild/unstocked streams I fish.

You always say NC PA never gets any of the rain when it comes, was glad to see the areas you love being part of the rain party. While it may mess up opening day or whatever i think all the rain we can get is good this time of year

You always say NC PA never gets any of the rain when it comes, was glad to see the areas you love being part of the rain party. While it may mess up opening day or whatever i think all the rain we can get is good this time of year
It is good, no doubt, but it will have little bearing on conditions by the time I actually start fishing. As mentioned in another thread, this rain would be more beneficial in June, July, and August.

You're right though, I'm always happy to see the NC region get rain, no matter the time of year. More often than not, the rains seem to miss that area.

Most streams will be bank full or over their banks for opening day. If you are going to venture out, exercise common sense. I'm expecting that there will be some near drowning experiences to chase mush bellies.
In anticipation of the conditions I was out picking up “garden hackle” in the gutters and streets last night. Canned corn and paste baits work well under such conditions too. And with the falling, cold water temps associated with high flows, bait fishing is the go-to method based on creel surveys and other observational experiences. Falling temps substantially modify fish behavior.

As for high water moving the trout around, there’s no guarantee of that. Stocked trout that move do not necessarily move in association with high flows. During the stocked trout residency study the N Br Muddy Ck, York Co, was stocked under bank full, muddy water conditions and at two spots during the stocking event the stream was overflowing its banks. One could reasonably expect that under such conditions with no experience in this new environment and with no visual cues, movement would be substantial. Residency measured at the randomly selected stocking points was 90% or more when measured at least a week later.

As for wild trout, during the Spruce Ck wild BT study in 1972, following the passage of Hurricane Agnes over 70% of the trout were right back in the same locations within their territorial mosaic where they had been found prior to the flood.

Last edited:
It stinks IMO.
Right when the best hatches of the year are ramping up, everything is flooded.

Sorry it was my fault, I had a good outing on dries fishing Penns this past weekend. Back to the grimy euronymphing deep I go.

Time to tie up some catskill style squirmys

Last edited:
I am planning on getting a jar of Uncle Mike's salmon eggs and using LOTS of BB sized shot to get er' down. Then, I am going to wear a very trustworthy life jacket and, with about 6 feet of line out of the rod tip, jump in and just float along with my bait ticking bottom. I should be able to get a really, really nice long float. I imagine I will at least catch a couple.

Back